• Advertisement

2014: Awful year for Spongebob?

Steel Sponge

Yeah, but I've seen people say things like "SC in the Sand is one of the only post-movie episodes I like" and stuff along those lines.

Well maybe there's only a few post-movie episodes they think are more than meh.. I don't think that's JUST because Mr. Enter reviewed it because I remember that epsiode being well recieved

That being said, people who blindly side with mr. Enter are annoying.

• Like 1

Okay people, while I don't think Mr. Enter is an amazing reviewer, he's far from a biased post-movie hater. He watches all the episodes and can admit that good post-movie episodes have existed.. he also has a few pre-movie atrocities... he's much better than the "Pre-movie 10/10 post-movie -10/10" crowd that's for sure. 

Better than that crowd, yes, but extremely flawed in several other areas. The overwhelming amount of negativity he delivers to the show and it's writers, for more often than not, trivial reasons, isn't a good point towards him. Hating Eek, An Urchin (the entire episode) because of an implied rape joke that you have to think about extremely for it to even begin to register as an implication is flat-out stupid, and it's not the first time he's hated and all-out bashed an episode for such a trivial and silly reason.

I don't think everything about Mr. Enter is terrible- I thought his Waffles review was pretty spot on- but so many times I tune in for a review and get unwarranted criticism and so many unfunny jokes and so much rage over shows that at the end of the day aren't appealing to his demographic, nor are they trying to. He isn't all the time, but more often than not, when I watch an Enter review, I'm treated to hot garbage.

we really need a mr enter thread cuz we're kinda getting off-topic lol

• Like 1

Better than that crowd, yes, but extremely flawed in several other areas. The overwhelming amount of negativity he delivers to the show and it's writers, for more often than not, trivial reasons, isn't a good point towards him. Hating Eek, An Urchin (the entire episode) because of an implied rape joke that you have to think about extremely for it to even begin to register as an implication is flat-out stupid, and it's not the first time he's hated and all-out bashed an episode for such a trivial and silly reason.

I don't think everything about Mr. Enter is terrible- I thought his Waffles review was pretty spot on- but so many times I tune in for a review and get unwarranted criticism and so many unfunny jokes and so much rage over shows that at the end of the day aren't appealing to his demographic, nor are they trying to. He isn't all the time, but more often than not, when I watch an Enter review, I'm treated to hot garbage.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly think there are better reviewers like PIEGUYRULZ; I think Enter is extremely flawed and I agree with you 90%. The only thing I can say is that sometimes, you just like/dislike an episode becasue you do and you don't really know why. I really don't like One Krabs Trash that much but I really have no reason why other than the fact that it just doesn't register with me, for example.

His Waffles review was very accurate indeed! A qualm I have with him (and other reviewers) is that they nitpick stupid things in post-movie episodes that they'll willingly excuse in a pre-movie episode. Examples include cartoon logic--which isn't meant to be in a cartoon in the first place-- and continuity.( I'm still kind of shocked that there are people who are genuinely criticizing the second movie because they're breathing without helmets 0_o) , best demonstrated in his SpongeBob, You're Fired review (which I think is an atrocity btw). 

Now I'm truly digressing so here's my thoughts

-SpongeBob is nowhere near as quality as pre-movie but he's slightly better

-Nitpicking tiny things in post-movie episodes yet excusing those things in pre-movie episodes is very hypocritical and frankly very annoying

-If Stephen Hillenburg is really coming back, we can hope that SpongeBob zooms back up, however, remember that Stephen hasn't done this in 10 years

-This was to be expected just like the first movie so this really shouldn't be a shocker.. and in case you're wondering, a lot of people thought SB was going downhill back in 2003-2004 too, believe it or not.

Yeah, let's play some taboo.

And the taboo word is....you-know-who, so whoever says his name again sleeps on Gary's bed, I guess.

I don't count because I was typing before you posted that. :P

To go off-subject from whatshisface, one mishap I forget to mention that also took place from 2011 was the whole University of Virginia studies thing where they tested kids outside of the age range to see their heads messed while watching Spongebob. General reactions were based on a defensive matter, so that makes the aspect seem bittersweet. Yeah, I just thought I'd change the subject for an event that I forgot that happened over the course of the post-movie era.

There actually is sort of a topic.

http://www.thesbcommunity.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10369-spongebob-atrocities/?hl=%2Bmr.+%2Benter

Good post.

One thing I wanted to say is the fact that my least favorite part of the recent seasons is not the episodes themselves, but the people who criticize these episodes. Yes, there are some really bad episodes, and no there are no seasons better than S1-4, but I try to be optimistic about it. I look for the good instead of the bad. It breaks my heart to see people trashing it so much.

• Like 1

Good post.

One thing I wanted to say is the fact that my least favorite part of the recent seasons is not the episodes themselves, but the people who criticize these episodes. Yes, there are some really bad episodes, and no there are no seasons better than S1-4, but I try to be optimistic about it. I look for the good instead of the bad. It breaks my heart to see people trashing it so much.

I have to totally agree with this post.

Sorry, but as long as 2014 has been a good year for Spongebob in the ratings department, I don't see how it's an "awful year". Why is negativity on the internet even a concern? It's everywhere no matter what. Fans are fickle. Fans are negative. Fans complain. And it effects nothing.

Also, I have watched quite a few of Mr. Enter's reviews, and I honestly think he needs to work on not just his reviewing, but his personality too. His style is mostly just nitpicking at things he doesn't like, and his hatred for the writers to the point of bashing them not just as writers but as PEOPLE too is inexcusable. Watch his Pet Sitter Pat review and you'll see what I mean.

This may feel like a week-late response, but It's not just you-know-who. What also gives me a tick is that anybody else would treat Casey and Zeus as if they're both the second coming of Josef Stalin or something. I mean, what bad could they have also done other than inadvertently "ruining" their childhoods by making mediocre Spongebob episodes? Heck, to slip in Skyler Page into this conservation, he got fired for sexual assault and I sure wouldn't call him out as a person either. Writers are people. Writers have their respective jobs for a living and have mouths to feed too - and that would be the case for the likes of the infamous duo. Lurking on Casey's twitter, I think I read something about him no longer offering questions based on the show he now formerly writes for, as he would probably get the same type of questions. (Can somebody say, "This is why we can't have nice things."?) If people hate the two as people, okay fine, but I wouldn't go around treating them like total scapegoats even if I I'd end up having a chat with them.

We really need to step back from the absurdity, and remember that SpongeBob is a kid's show. It's really not being made for us, especially now. So even if the show is getting negative reviews from people like Mr. Enter, people like Mr. Enter are not the show's demographic. The ratings tell more than our opinions as to how "good" a year of SpongeBob is.

True but the early episodes were still able to cater to older audiences without boring kids

• Like 1

True but the early episodes were still able to cater to older audiences without boring kids

I agree with this, I think there needs to be that perfect blend of mature elements and kiddy elements... that sweet spot that the earlier episodes found, and a lot of Season 8-9 episodes have found (at least for me). 

Overall, I think 2014 has been an abysmal year for SpongeBob, and that's mainly because of there were few episodes, and the poor quality when there were. 

Since this topic got bumped, it's time for some real talk: I've written and created this topic based on my struggle with trying to deal with negativity on the internet. On the plus side, I decided to create this topic when I saw the reactions for the designs of the SpongeBob characters as superheroes in the real world, and I've seen people on SBC express that they either don't feel excited about the movie anymore, or that they fear the movie is going to suck. I got a little too anxious and felt that even some people on SBC were starting to outgrow their appreciation towards SpongeBob in general. At the same time, Mr. Enter's reviews were a huge deal, and I couldn't help but see some of his followers expressing their negative opinions towards the show, let alone forming their opinions through Enter's perspective. It didn't even help when I found out that the same followers harassed Casey Alexander on Twitter. It was just times like these where I ended up feeling like I, myself, should outgrow SpongeBob, but instead, I wanted to spread my appreciation towards the post-movie era in the state of all the reactions I've been seeing towards the show as of recent.

Truth is, looking back on this, I just cared too much about what other people think. Do I still feel the same way? Nope. So allow me to answer this question that I have asked for myself and for everyone else: No, 2014 was not an awful year for SpongeBob at all.