• Advertisement

Gorillaz

Steel Sponge

Since I don't think anybody has started a thread for this virtual band yet, I'll go ahead with this.

So far, I've listened to every song from Demon Days and some bits of Plastic Beach and their debut album (in which I'm planning to listen to the rest of at some point).

This band is just incredible. "Clint Eastwood," "Feel Good Inc.," and "19-2000" are easily some of my favorite songs.

• Like 2

Their self titled album is pretty dope thanks to production from Dan the Automater. A lot the production is similar to The Automaters other project Deltron 3030. Del's a pretty good rapper too whos fresh of Deltron 3030 as well. Only problem with that album is some of the songs with no singing get kinda boring. Demon Days is my favorite album of theirs even though Dan the Automaters not on it and Del only appears on one song. The production is at its finest and every song is really entertaining. Plastic Beach is a pretty forgettable album since they're starting to shift to synth pop. Haven't heard anything after that. 

Awesome band. Love their first two records as I've just gotten into them. Haven't heard Plastic Beach yet but I love both Stylo and On Melancholy Hill so i'll probably love it. In fact, I'm listening to Clint Eastwood right now. Despite being overrated, it's one of my favorites. I just love Del's part so much. 

I feel completely stupid for not fully understanding that (while I know they have cartoon music videos) that they're actually a full blown out virtual band. Recently I watched a video about the characters' history within the band over the last 19 years.  Anyways, trying to listen to more of their songs besides their famous ones. Anyone recommend any?

Not counting their most famous tracks, namely "Clint Eastwood" and "Feel Good Inc.," this is my top ten ATM:

1. DoYaThing (preferably the full version with James Murphy's progressively heavy instrumentation and Andre 3000's "I'M THE SHIT" breakdown.)
2. 19-2000 (original and Soulchild remix)
3. Every Planet We Reach Is Dead
4. To Binge
5. M1 A1
6. Latin Simone (Que Pasa Contigo)
7. Tomorrow Comes Today
8. Dirty Harry
9. Demon Days
10. Strobelite (original and Kaytranada remix) (haven't actually listened to Humanz in full yet, but this is currently my biggest rec from the album other than "Andromeda.")

23 hours ago, President Squidward said:

Humanz is mediocre. Doesn't come nowhere close to the godliness thar was Plastic Beach tho

that's not how you spell Demon Days

Speaking as a person in the minority that wholeheartedly appreciated the Humanz album, I can at least say that it would've been better without the dump load of needless interludes. Also, if the album has some particular 'bad songs,' the only track that I can to refer to is "Sex Murder Party." That one kinda blows.

And given that I have now listened to all of Humanz, some highlights IMO include "Strobelite," "Andromeda," "Ascension," and "Submission." Also, "Hallelujah Money" and "We Got the Power" are guilty pleasures of mine.

• Like 1