• Advertisement

The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Clappy

Welp, about 3 weeks after my original post, I finally saw this movie. And I thought it was pretty good. I will have to agree that the story seemed a bit all over the place at times, but I liked how the movie further explored the characters, especially Hawkeye, and I liked the inclusion of Wanda and Pietro.

Spoiler

Why did Pietro have to die though

:( That bummed me out, man.

Ultron was an interesting villain and surprisingly funny as well. This film as a whole wasn't as funny as the first but I can understand that since the stakes have been upped and there's more drama.

I know there's been some criticism about how Natasha/Black Widow was portrayed but I didn't see it as sexist. *shrug* Her character wasn't the best in this but I think she had some good moments. It's still a bit weird to me that she and Bruce have a romantic thing, however.

I saw the movie a while ago but just figured out that this topic existed lol. Well pretty much like everyone else is saying the movie was amazing. This might be a little different but hawkeye's family was introduced and right after everyone left his house I was just praying to God that they wouldn't let this man die lol, literally if there was one character that I didn't want to die it would be him. (it was sad when Pietro died tho) Now for Ultron, Everyone creates the thing they fear. Men of peace create engines of war. Quotes like that made me love him. The best villains are ones that either relate-able or point out a huge flaw with society. 

So in conclusion,

movie good

One of the best movies of the year so far. I wasn't disappointed at all. Everything was amazing in the movie. The action, the comedy, the story and holy crap Hawkeye gets attention as well. I'm not sure If this is better or worse than the first Avengers but they are both awesome movies. Keep up the good work Marvel.

This was so much more disappointing than the original Avengers film it wasn't even funny

Like the MCU hasn't dropped a bad movie since it started and this wasn't bad but my god it's nothing compared to the first and it can barely stand on its own because it's spending most of its two hours crumbling underneath the weight of trying to set up half a decade's worth of future films and tying itself into the rest of the MCU

When it wasn't doing that it was awesome and the action was great but even Ultron was underwhelming as a villain. Overall this was around a 6 or a 7 for me. You can feel the "this is a stopgap movie before the stuff you really want" emanating from this, but man, it did not have to be this way at all.

The way Agents of Shield tied into the movie was fantastic though. Absolutely amazing.

EDIT: my biggest problem is just how throwaway this feels. Its not a culmination of any sort- the first Avengers tied together every plot thread from every Phase 1 film. Infinity War is set to tie together every plot thread that's been around since arguably Guardians of the Galaxy or so. Maybe Winter Soldier, even. Ultron isn't a culmination, it's just another narrative in a string of them. I just don't like how inconsequential all of feels. But since the events in Sokovia are set to make ripples in Civil War, maybe I'll appreciate it more come Spring 2016.

Okay, time to break the negativity :3. I liked it, though there was obviously more humorous moments compared to the first movie. I did like how the characters were in the movie and how they played off each other, especially with Hawkeye FINALLY getting more spotlight. Say what you want about him, but Hawkeye's always been a curiosity of mine since before then, we didn't know too much about him in the MCU. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were also an interesting duo and I liked the brother/sister relationship they of course had, even if they weren't mutants in this universe (fuck you Fox). I'll say that I'm interested in what else Marvel has planned for Vision, since we don't know too much about him. However what stole the show was Ultron. His motivations, his sarcastic attitude, and his abilities show that he's a force to be reckoned with. Hell, more than Loki even. Yeah I said it. Quicksilver's death was unfortunate and it would appear that no, Marvel's not bringing him back to life. Well, that's the circle of light kids! So yeah, it was a great experience.

• Like 1

I saw it in theaters some time ago. I didn't find it incredible, but I still really enjoyed it.

Bland, stupid but pretty awesome for some mindless entertainment.

That's the best way I could put it.

Bland entertainment =/= Good mindless entertainment

Good mindless entertainment is fun. Entertainment can not be bland and fun at the same time. Bland implies boring, and boring is the exact opposite of fun.

• Like 1

Bland entertainment =/= Good mindless entertainment

Good mindless entertainment is fun. Entertainment can not be bland and fun at the same time. Bland implies boring, and boring is the exact opposite of fun.

Apologies for my flawed terminology. When I said it was bland, I was judging the movie's deeper levels. Like the narrative and the characters. 

I still stand by liking this a lot, but after seeing Ant Man on vacation, I can't help but feel that the entirety of Phase 2 was just to build up to Phase 3. Heck to be honest, I think I prefer Ant Man over this because they made it a stand alone movie while still doing their cross promoting for the next ten years of movies. I just wish this was more of an event movie like the first one instead of a schilling of "Marvel has movies planned up until 2021!". The standalone value could have been as special as the first Avengers. It really had the tools to be. Just the execution felt heavily commercialized. Almost Amazing Spider-Man 2 like, but nowhere near as terribly as that one did.

However, I don't think Ultron was underwhelming. He was fantastic. Everything Illiniguy said was completely true. His motivation, his attitude, his grand scheme. If he was only meant to be in one movie, he did a great job making himself a force to be reckoned with. If this movie did anything awesome, it was character development. Whedon excels at that and I felt like everyone got their characters developed damn well with Hawkeye finally getting some screen time and character development after being around for four years. Only one I can give a brief complaint about character development was The Vision but they have time to do that in future movies since he was only in it for about 30-40 minutes.

I still really like this, but after seeing this three times during the summer, the luster is starting to wear thin. At least it's not the worst Phase 2 movie, that still belongs to Thor: Dark World. But I know I enjoyed Winter Soldier, Guardians, Iron Man 3, and probably Ant Man more than Age of Ultron.

• Like 2

I still stand by liking this a lot, but after seeing Ant Man on vacation, I can't help but feel that the entirety of Phase 2 was just to build up to Phase 3. Heck to be honest, I think I prefer Ant Man over this because they made it a stand alone movie while still doing their cross promoting for the next ten years of movies. I just wish this was more of an event movie like the first one instead of a schilling of "Marvel has movies planned up until 2021!". The standalone value could have been as special as the first Avengers. It really had the tools to be. Just the execution felt heavily commercialized. Almost Amazing Spider-Man 2 like, but nowhere near as terribly as that one did.

However, I don't think Ultron was underwhelming. He was fantastic. Everything Illiniguy said was completely true. His motivation, his attitude, his grand scheme. If he was only meant to be in one movie, he did a great job making himself a force to be reckoned with. If this movie did anything awesome, it was character development. Whedon excels at that and I felt like everyone got their characters developed damn well with Hawkeye finally getting some screen time and character development after being around for four years. Only one I can give a brief complaint about character development was The Vision but they have time to do that in future movies since he was only in it for about 30-40 minutes.

I still really like this, but after seeing this three times during the summer, the luster is starting to wear thin. At least it's not the worst Phase 2 movie, that still belongs to Thor: Dark World. But I know I enjoyed Winter Soldier, Guardians, Iron Man 3, and probably Ant Man more than Age of Ultron.

I couldn't agree with you more. I think Phase 2 was such a huge improvement over Phase 1, which was kind of slow. Age of Ultron wasn't as impressive as the first Avengers but it did couple stuff that first Avengers lacked. I also thought Thor The Dark World was an awesome and underrated movie from UCI.

If this movie did anything awesome, it was character development. Whedon excels at that and I felt like everyone got their characters developed damn well with Hawkeye finally getting some screen time and character development after being around for four years.

besides the great reveal about hawkeye and the hulk's arc (which wasn't even really an arc because it ended on such an open note) what character development

Tony's character looked like he was set-up to have some fucking dope revelations about how the stuff he creates only ends in horrible shit happening but then he never got a plot thread, that was dropped and Tony proceeded to quip for the rest of the movie. They missed a huge opportunity to have Tony's arc come full circle from IM1 and have him realizing that he's basically doing the same thing he's always done - creating things that evolve beyond his control and getting bitten in the ass every time. 

"oh no black widow can't have kids noooo" wasn't character development it was just backstory that didn't really shed light on anything

Cap got the tiniest slightest of arcs that just showed him adapting to the world a little more but it was inconsequential

aside from that everyone was like written well but there were no arcs, even Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's motivations got basically handwaved once Ultron went off the deep end.

like I said, not a bad movie, just not a very deep one at all, even for a popcorn flick, it was kinda just...Nothing.

also totally unrelated but why the FUCK is coulson not back in the movies yet smh

besides the great reveal about hawkeye and the hulk's arc (which wasn't even really an arc because it ended on such an open note) what character development

Tony's character looked like he was set-up to have some fucking dope revelations about how the stuff he creates only ends in horrible shit happening but then he never got a plot thread, that was dropped and Tony proceeded to quip for the rest of the movie. They missed a huge opportunity to have Tony's arc come full circle from IM1 and have him realizing that he's basically doing the same thing he's always done - creating things that evolve beyond his control and getting bitten in the ass every time.

"oh no black widow can't have kids noooo" wasn't character development it was just backstory that didn't really shed light on anything

Cap got the tiniest slightest of arcs that just showed him adapting to the world a little more but it was inconsequential

aside from that everyone was like written well but there were no arcs, even Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's motivations got basically handwaved once Ultron went off the deep end.

like I said, not a bad movie, just not a very deep one at all, even for a popcorn flick, it was kinda just...Nothing.

also totally unrelated but why the FUCK is coulson not back in the movies yet smh

I feel like Tony's arc is carrying over to Cap 3 and will come more full circle. But you pretty much established it that he realizes he's basically doing the same thing he's always done. That's why he's stepping away from The Avengers but it's not done yet. I know I'm piggybacking off your point but still.

Black Widow...are you forgetting Black Widow's mind warp there via Scarlet Witch. We got to see more of her origins and see her open up more around Bruce Banner. And when she finally found someone she can be herself around, The Hulk leaves her to projects unknown.

Are you blatantly forgetting Thor because his own story was so insignificant or :P? Because him learning about the power of the infinity stones through his mindfuck and sharing it with the team and going to go search/protect the rest seems important developments for him even if they were a major backseat to the rest of what's going on.

I felt like Scarlet Witch learning for who she's fighting for seemed like a minor development for her....Quicksilver was minor comedic relief. That was the point and why he was done away with. Maybe he'll get revived somewhere down the line because Coulson, but who knows.

Think what you want, not blaming you for being disappointed. Your opinion bruh. It's not holding up to greatness like the others for me either (see the rank the MCU thread I made; you inspired it) but it's still a good fun movie.

• Like 1

I feel like Tony's arc is carrying over to Cap 3 and will come more full circle. But you pretty much established it that he realizes he's basically doing the same thing he's always done. That's why he's stepping away from The Avengers but it's not done yet. I know I'm piggybacking off your point but still.

That it probably will, and if it does I'll definitely be more forgiving towards Ultron in retrospect, especially since they touched on the point lightly in the season finale of Agents of Shield. And if Civil War follows the way the comics fell out, then it's gonna be an interesting ride for sure.

Black Widow...are you forgetting Black Widow's mind warp there via Scarlet Witch. We got to see more of her origins and see her open up more around Bruce Banner. And when she finally found someone she can be herself around, The Hulk leaves her to projects unknown.

her origins with her being sterilized were what I referred to in my original post, seeing as how that look into her past garnered nothing we didn't already know, but I guess her development with Banner was there, however minor it was, so I'll concede to that point.

Are you blatantly forgetting Thor because his own story was so insignificant or :P? Because him learning about the power of the infinity stones through his mindfuck and sharing it with the team and going to go search/protect the rest seems important developments for him even if they were a major backseat to the rest of what's going on.

No but in terms of that it's only story and plot development, not character development. However, character development at this point isn't necessary for Thor anymore, honestly. The first Thor was probably the most character driven story in all of the MCU because it's literally all about Thor's transformation from arrogant ass to noble warrior or whatever, so him not getting development doesn't bother me in this case, he needs no more. Him going to learn about the Inifinity Stones, while cool, also seemed to be a big glaring advertisement as well.

"See these cool magical artifacts you might remember from Guardians of the Galaxy? Catch them and their plot threads again in 2018 and 2019 with The Avengers: Infinity War, Parts 1 & 2, along with all of your other favorite Avengers!"

I felt like Scarlet Witch learning for who she's fighting for seemed like a minor development for her....Quicksilver was minor comedic relief. That was the point and why he was done away with. Maybe he'll get revived somewhere down the line because Coulson, but who knows.

I liked Quicksilver and was just kinda blown that Whedon decided "yeah let's do this" but that's not really a problem I have with the film itself as much as I do Whedon in general.

coulson just needs to appear in another movie man i'm sick of him influencing stuff in the movies from behind a tv screen the scenes :(

(see the rank the MCU thread I made; you inspired it)

wow thanks *blushes*