• Advertisement

Clappy (Attempts) To Review Every Post Movie SpongeBob Episode

Clappy

As most of you know, I'm a huge fan of Seasons 1-3 SpongeBob. I rarely have any complaints about those episodes. That's not saying I don't like the other seasons. There are indeed plenty of episodes I enjoy from the latter seasons. Which is why I decided to make this thread. Since I see many others listing their favorites or reviewing certain episodes from seasons, I'm going to give this idea a shot and going to chronologically write a review for each post season SpongeBob episode. This will probably be an on again, off again project, but I'm going to aim to be positive and say that I'll fully commit to this.

Fear of a Krabby Patty review to start things off coming this weekend.

• Like 6

Lol I love Good Neighbours. Hate me.

You aren't alone.  Trust me.  But I'll get to that another day.  Time for my first official review for this thread.

"Fear of a Krabby Patty"

SpongeBob-SquarePants---Fear-of-a-Krabby

What better way to start off this thread than by reviewing the last episode of the pre-movie writers.  Now because of this, I feel like many obligate it as one of the best of the season.  I'm not generalizing everyone or anyone on this site for having these thoughts, but I remember many saying that back during my tv.com days (ohai tvfan95).  Anyway, my emphasis for this review is this.  

Just because it has nostalgia SpongeBob writers, does this make it good?

I will admit that the humor in this is probably some of the most memorable of Season 4.  The whole sequence between "Dr. Peter Lankton" and SpongeBob is my favorite part of the episode from the recurring piano gag to cellphones being considered loud and obnoxious.  I just enjoyed all three-four minutes of it.  Unfortunately for me, the rest of the episode is nowhere near as good as that.

One of my most nit-picky problems with this episode is the premise of the Krusty Krab being open 24 hours.  This is the first post-movie SpongeBob to borrow a premise from Seasons 1-3 SpongeBob and I'm not a fan of reusing old ideas for any television show.  Not just SpongeBob.  The only way to make such an idea work is if they execute the episode better than they did the first time.  Which to me, The Graveyard Shift is up there on my favorite SpongeBob episodes.  So of course I'm going to prefer it more than Fear of a Krabby Patty alone.  My main problem is how things changed this time around with Mr. Krabs also staying awake 24 hours along with SpongeBob and Patrick.  I thought he pointed out in The Graveyard Shift that he had a life and that's why he couldn't stick around.  If this comes off as me complaining, I just want to point out that it's only a minor nitpick that kind of bugs me a bit.

Otherwise, my main problem with this episode is that I just find it rather boring.  Everything about it was hit or miss to me.  Like for example, I thought the potential idea that SpongeBob's lack of sleep causing him to be afraid of krabby patties had potential.  Yet the road getting there was just weak with SpongeBob impossibly getting tired until Plankton's 10,000 patty order caused him to finally break.  That just did not work for me.  At least I find the minor moments to get a laugh out of me like the bags under Squidward's bags of eyes and SpongeBob screaming at some dude's hideous shirt.  Even then though, the episode had minor miss moments too like Old Man Jenkins flying out of nowhere wondering what was going on...which he wasn't alone since I wonder if the viewing audience wondered what he was doing there too.

Even the episode ends rather abruptly.  While I do laugh everytime at the "in your arteries" line, I still feel like the whole sequence was rather corny, even if it was a dream.  Oh and the 23 hours being open is enough bit...yeah no one believes that.  I certainly don't in a non-canon show like SpongeBob.  I do understand that they had to rap up that loose end, so it's not to big a concern.

So yeah, that's Fear of a Krabby Patty in a nutshell for me.  I consider it a miss for me, but I think the episode itself isn't bad or anything.  I just think that for talented writers like Greenblatt and Tibbitt, this episode could have been executed a lot better if it was trying to be a better version of The Graveyard Shift.  The potential was there with Plankton trying to use the 24 hour Krusty Krab premise to try and crack the formula out of SpongeBob, but the road getting there was just a disappointment for me.  At least the sequence of Plankton trying to get the formula out of SpongeBob is one of my favorite sequences this season.

Overall, I'd give this episode a:

3/5

• Like 4

What better way to start off this thread than by reviewing the last episode of the pre-movie writers.  

What a bunch of hogwash. It is Greenblatt's final episode, but Paul Tibbit, Erik Wiese, Chris Mitchell, and Tim Hill are all pre-movie writers, and often are paired up in this season. Get your facts straight before posting this.

Besides that inconvenience, nice review. You expressed your opinions in clear way. If only I had those analyzing skills.  <_<

What a bunch of hogwash. It is Greenblatt's final episode, but Paul Tibbit, Erik Wiese, Chris Mitchell, and Tim Hill are all pre-movie writers, and often are paired up in this season. Get your facts straight before posting this.

Welp, can't please everyone.  You are correct PatBack dear sir, Tibbitt did write four more episodes as well as Wiese, Mitchell, and Hill writing multiple other episodes.  I should have just said Greenblatt because he is my favorite of any SpongeBob writers.  I just got so used to generalizing it as the last episode of the pre-movie writers because whenever I come across SB forums, I usually see it referred to as the last.  But hey, like I said, I should have made this more clear.  Oh well.

Welp, can't please everyone.  You are correct PatBack dear sir, Tibbitt did write four more episodes as well as Wiese, Mitchell, and Hill writing multiple other episodes.  I should have just said Greenblatt because he is my favorite of any SpongeBob writers.  I just got so used to generalizing it as the last episode of the pre-movie writers because whenever I come across SB forums, I usually see it referred to as the last.  But hey, like I said, I should have made this more clear.  Oh well.

I haven't seen anyone generalizing FotKP as "the last episode of the pre-movie writers". Well, besides you. :P

Sorry if my comment seemed a bit rude, btw.

• Like 1

I haven't seen anyone generalizing FotKP as "the last episode of the pre-movie writers". Well, besides you. :P

Sorry if my comment seemed a bit rude, btw.

It's ok no worries and trust me PatBack, I've been on forums for eight years. Back when I was on first around tv.com, this was referred to as such.

Now a days, I don't see it as much and I probably should have said back in the old days. :P

Next up on the list:

"Shell of a Man"

hqdefault.jpg

Honestly, I watch this episode and the shift in seasons starts to show. Not that it's necessarily a good or bad thing, but I think it's the beginning of a stark difference from anything before it.

This quote actually applies my sentiment to Shell of a Man.  Fear of a Krabby Patty still felt like it could have fit in somewhat with the pre-movie SpongeBob episodes.  Shell of a Man on the other hand was when I started to feel that stark difference.  Not that it's a necessarily a good or bad thing either.

One thing I do have to commend Shell of a Man for is giving us a backstory to Mr. Krabs.  Something I never really felt the pre-movie SpongeBob episodes did except for the Krusty Krab Training Video.  I mean I had the sense that he always had some sort of background before becoming a successful business owner and the writers accomplished that pretty well here.  Kudos Mike Bell and Paul Tibbitt.  Krabs soon after molts his shell.  Now I will give the writers credit again.  Crabs do molt their shells so the plot twist I found very clever.  SpongeBob gets stuck inside the shell and is asked to impersonate Mr. Krabs at the reunion.  

Now out of most generalized plots, I have never been that fond of "the one person impersonating the other" plot.  To me, it has to be one of those plots that has to be executed perfectly to even have a chance at me liking it and this episode does not at all.  I find SpongeBob's impersonation of Mr. Krabs to be incredibly subpar (except for one moment that I'll get to shortly).  I can't believe Krabs navy buddies even bought it.  I mean I'm sorry but look at him:

shell-man-2.jpg

I'll give the animators credit because I do like the design, but the yellow in all that red just bugs me.  I would hope that his navy buddies would remember Krabs color scheme and the fact that his eyes aren't short and circular.  Sorry to sound nitpicky, but it's a television pet peeve that I've never been fond of.

I will say this though, some of the writing from this episode is rather clever and I do get some chuckles out of the jokes.  SpongeBob's impersonation of Mr. Krabs in front of Mr. Krabs does make me laugh every time I watch it.  I wish we got more of that kind of humor at the reunion scenes.  That would have been more enjoyable than what we got.  Also the Naval Buddies got some good jokes in, especially during the ending sequence:

My iron eye is actually made of Formica.

Also, I have to give the episode credit for the positive message in the end with Krabs being rewarded the trophy for manly toughness after his confession.  I just wish the episode itself didn't drag a lot.  That's probably my main problem with Shell of a Man.  I felt like a lot of the sequences dragged on and on just waiting to get the rising actions, the conflict, the climax, and all the other parts of the story.  This episode had the potential to be a good one, but we just got a lot of filler like SpongeBob Krabs telling stories about living in a pineapple and jellyfishing or SpongeBob commanding the kitchen like he was in the Navy to name a few.  Some people find these sequences funny.  I just find them dull.

So yeah, I guess this episode is ok.  I just wish it wasn't so boring at parts.  I'm glad we got some character development for Mr. Krabs besides being a penny pincher.  I wouldn't consider this one of the worst of Season 4 or the best.  It's just...there.  Smack dab in the middle.  So it deserves a smack dab in the middle score of:

2.5/5

• Like 2

At least it wasn't completely yellow like this...

maxresdefault.jpg

Or a costume like these...

l_ac846ad9.jpg

Fear of a Patty was the first of many post movie episodes to have an outlandish feel. I remember reading in my SpongeBob Experience Book that they wanted to push the boundaries or something with the show with episodes like SquidBob TentaclePants and etc. I kinda praise FoaKP for making me feel strange and like you said I enjoyed the Dr. Peter Lankton parts the best. I thought Shell of a Man was pretty decent, never really had a problem with it.

• Like 1