• Advertisement

Best and Worst of Entertainment 2013 Edition

Clappy

Yep it's back again. Remember that thread only I did my year end best/worst list on? :P

http://www.thesbcommunity.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6353-best-and-worst-of-entertainment-2012/

EDIT: Oh and Wumbo and Webby did some as well. Sorry guys, but I'm giving you both credit now too. Whatever happened to Webby btw? =\

Well it's that time again since the new year happens in two days. Obviously I won't have every single one of my lists completed by then, but I'm going to do every single one of them again. I'm going to count down the best and worst of 2013 in movies, music, and even the element of entertainment I don't have a review thread for television.

NOTE: Even though I said I'm doing this, everyone else can feel free to join in on the fun like I said last year. This isn't a thread primarily for me to do my count downs. This is a thread for everyone.

I'll have my Top 10 Worst Movies of 2013 up at some point today first.

• Like 2

What can I say this year about film?  While this is going to go on to be setting the annual standard of highest grossing year ever, were the movies memorable?  Well besides the awards bait films this year I felt were stronger than recent years, I felt let down by a lot of the big budgeted blockbusters in retrospect.  This is probably coming off the fact that last year the tentpole films were incredibly strong like The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, The Hunger Games, etc.

Still there was no perfect blockbuster this year.  Which is why you aren't going to see many on this year's best list like you saw last year.  Btw, I had to edit this list majorly after last night's debacle which seriously changed everything on my worst movies list, so without further ado we are counting down:

Clappy's Top 10 Worst Films of 2013

10. G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Spoiler

I'm sorry OMJ.  I'm sorry I made you spend a Cruiseday watching this.

After watching this on PPV the other day, I can't even believe I spent my hard earned money on watching this dreck in theaters.  This was such a stupid movie.  I mean yeah what do you expect?  Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was in this.  But holy crap was there a lot of bad acting and inexcusable plot twists to make this even worse.  I mean Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow work together!?!?   They put past their continuous rivalry to work together.  Dear god I can't believe I supported this movie.  I take back every nice thing I said.  They wasted a perfectly good cameo from RZA for this boring story line.  At least the story involving Roadblock and the other joes held my interest despite how stupid it was.  Oh and Bruce Willis making jokes about how old he is got genuine laughs from me.  Just a stupid popcorn movie that I take back any recommendation for.  Hell, you think my hatred for this is bad?  At least it's still better than Rise of Cobra.  I'm just done with this movie franchise though.  More on movie franchises I'm done with later.

9. The Internship

Spoiler

Man what a let down this turned out to be.  You know, I shouldn't be surprised this was as disappointingly boring as this was.  I guess my high standards were in place because the last team up these two did turned out to be The Wedding Crashers which is one of my favorite comedies of the past decade.  Vince Vaughn really hasn't been in anything good since The Wedding Crashers and as for Owen Wilson, outside of Wes Anderson flicks, he really hasn't done any live action comedies that have gotten my approval.  But yeah, this was just a very boring comedy that had few good laughs.  I think I'm pretty much done with both of these guys at this point for live action comedies, but Owen Wilson keep teaming up with Wes Anderson.  I'll keep watching those movies for sure.

8. Oz: The Great and Powerful

Spoiler

God I'm just getting really sick of movies trying to be carbon copies of 2010's Alice in Wonderland, which as the years go by, that wasn't a good movie either.  This really was no different from that and it hurts me to have a movie with James Franco, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz, and Michelle Williams on my year end worst list, but if the best performance in this movie came from a little China girl acting wise, that's really saying something about how bad this was.  God I really need to be more skeptical about Maleficent this summer because I'm considering getting my heart broken once again on a Disney re-imagining. 

7. Jack the Giant Slayer

Spoiler

What a mess this turned out to be.  No wonder this kept on getting delayed.  Not even the CGI of the giants was that impressive and they spent a extra year trying to improve them.  What a waste of perfectly talented British actors too because when you think Ewan McGregor, Stanley Tucci,  Ian McShane, Bill Nighy, and Nicholas Braun, you think reimagining of 300 version of Jack and the Beanstalk.  No wonder this movie was playing for cheap nearly a month after it's initial release.

6. Grown Ups 2

Spoiler

I really wanted to like this.  I really did.  I even rented this on Redbox the other week to try and give it a second chance because when I gave the original Grown Ups a second chance, the movie stole my heart.  But my feelings are still the same about this sequel as they were when I saw it five months ago.  When the main recurring joke of the movie is a "bursnart", you are pretty low brow when it comes to good jokes for this Mr. Sandler.  You still have a fan in me Adam despite how much you've been hit or miss with me lately, so hopefully your new movie with Drew Barrymore will have me loving you again.

5. Planes

Spoiler

Yes I seriously watched this movie.  Yes I know it's out of my age group.  Yes I entered in not expecting to be wow or amazed.  Yes a future Crap Cinema installment of this will come.  At least it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be.  Btw, I honestly don't blame you guys for being sick of the hatred for Planes.  But at least this wasn't the worst movie ever like people make it out to be.

4. The Hangover Part III

Spoiler

The only positive I have to say about this is at least they tried something different, which isn't something I can say about the second movie.  This really did not need to be a trilogy.  Any goodwill the first film had is pretty much gone at this point.  The comedy was not good, the action was not good, and you guys wasted a perfect villain in John Goodman.  But god, this movie made me absolutely sick of Ken Jeong's character Leslie Chow which was one of the bright spots of the other two films.  His character got overexposed and I seriously wished the worst of his character.  Oh and speaking of overexposure, I went from loving Zack Galafanakis's Alan to absolutely loathing him pretty easily as this series kept making movies as well.  Sorry Bradley Cooper, but not even your charm could save this movie from being awful. 

3. A Good Day to Die Hard

Spoiler

Oh whoops, that wasn't the trailer in the spoiler tags.  That was everything wrong with the latest and hopefully final Die Hard sequel.  At least they saved the worst for last.  What an awful piece of excrement this movie was and if there was any good of me trying to reinvent Crap Cinema with Disasterpiece Theater, it was that this movie was the only film reviewed for it.  Unbelievably bad.

2. A Haunted House

Spoiler

If another spoof movie was never made after this, I would be sincerely happy.  I can't believe I wasted a spot on my Netflix queue for this.  This was almost as bad as those Seltzer/Friedberg spoof movies.  Almost.

If a spoof movie didn't make my number one spot, then what did?  Well people.  Don't be surprised if you saw "What'd You Last Watch".

1. 47 Ronin

Spoiler

One of the most overused bad movie review cliches is "I walked out of a movie because it was so bad".  I have never done that in my life when it comes to paying to see a movie.  I did this for the first time in my life last night.  You know, I love cheesy martial arts movies as a massive cinema guilty pleasure, but I can't honestly defend this.  This was incredibly painful.  This reminded me heavily of The Last Airbender and that's definitely not a good thing.  I couldn't even make any jokes about the awfulness of this and it's terrible to know that good CGI went to horrendous waste like this.  Fuck you Keanu Reeves, just fuck you.  I can't even defend you and your horribad acting being a bright spot when it goes to waste like this.  Just fuck you.

I have a few extra shout outs to finalists that didn't make the cut that I would like to get to when I get home from work tonight.  So expect that this evening.

• Like 6

My roommate and I went to go see Jack the Giant Slayer, under the assumption that it would turn out to be just like Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters but with giants instead of witches.

Boy were we wrong. An R rating would've made that movie so much better.

• Like 1

My roommate and I went to go see Jack the Giant Slayer, under the assumption that it would turn out to be just like Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters but with giants instead of witches.

Boy were we wrong. An R rating would've made that movie so much better.

Absolutely agree with you there my friend.

I fucking fell asleep during Retaliation :P I honestly didn't think Jack the Giant Slayer was that bad, even after a second viewing. There were worst movies that came out that could easily fill that spot for me. Haven't seen 47 Ronin, although I am tempted. I'm sorta surprised to not see After Earth on here unless you played it smart and avoided it, unlike myself.

I'm sorta surprised to not see After Earth on here unless you played it smart and avoided it, unlike myself.

I haven't sat through that yet, but I am prepared to see it for the hell of it at some point soon.

Now as for those runner-ups that I mentioned about earlier.  Going to start doing this for at least movies and music so I can throw in my two cents on other nominees who were considered for my lists, but ended up missing the cut.

Turbo

Animated films in general were underwhelming to me this year compared to 2012 where I felt like we had multiple strong movies in that genre.  I just felt like Turbo was incredibly mediocre when I felt the premise had plenty of potential and was definitely worse than The Croods which I was kinda surprised by.

R.E.D. 2

Take away everything that made the original R.E.D. very good and you get this cash grab sequel.  None of the new pieces worked (Anthony Hopkins, I expected better from you) and none of the old pieces even tried.  Not even Helen Mirren who at least puts effort in everything she does.

Pain and Gain

This movie had surprising promise.  Hell it wasn't Michael Bay that even ruined this, when I always have a problem with him.  It was the mean spirited nature that I had a huge problem with.  I get that they were trying to go for a dark comedy element, but it just didn't work for this at all.

Insidious Chapter II

Believe it or not, I felt like the horror genre was very strong this year.  However if I had to think of the worst horror movie I saw this year, it was the incredibly disappointing sequel to the great original.  I wouldn't say it was bad enough to make the list this year, but I just thought I would point out how surprised I was that the horror genre would be as good as it was this year.

The Host (2013)

Before I saw 47 Ronin yesterday, this was going to be the number 10 film on my list.  If Stephanie Meyer novels could just stop being turned into movies, that would be wonderful.  Sad thing is that the book wasn't even that bad.  But just like the Twilight films, the adaptation sucked.

Admission

I like Tina Fey.  I like Paul Rudd.  I hate them starring in material that seems custom made for Lifetime.  They both deserved better than this.

Identity Thief

Same thing I said above except replace Tina Fey and Paul Rudd with Melissa McCarty and Jason Bateman oh and Lifetime.  This was just a half-assed story that just didn't work.

The Wolverine

To paraphrase one terminoob

The only thing I could think of while watching the trailer was "I'm getting tired of superhero movies".

It'll probably be great, and I'll probably see it but... damn I'm getting tired of superhero movies.

Oh and remove the fact that The Wolverine was not great.  It was just super generic.  I'm especially getting X-Men'd out because I feel like we get at least one of these movies every year.  I'll probably end up seeing Days of Future Past next year, but I'm getting sick of X-Men movies and superhero movies (outside of films in the Marvel cinemaverse in Disney/BV, at least those intertwine and make them different).

Being the dark comic I am, I liked Pain & Gain. My main gripe with it was that I felt it went on longer than it should've.

Oh yeah, I still can't believe that was over two hours.  Definitely could have cut at least thirty minutes of Michael Bay focusing on how built some of those guys were.

Now that I've gotten the worst out of the way time for me to do the best.  However, I'm going to do the honorable mentions first, then reveal my list.  Hold onto your scroll bars kiddies because it's time for:

CLAPPY'S TOP 10 BEST FILMS OF 2013 (AND HONORABLE MENTIONS)

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Despicable Me 2

Say what?  What is this blasphemy?  You, Clappy, are going to say you preferred this over the fine works of Pixar?  Well this year, I actually did.  While I did enjoy Monsters University, it was just not all that I thought it would be.  It's a fine film, but I highly doubt I'm going to sit through and watch it a second time....until it appears on tv maybe.  Even then, I don't plan to sit through it because I want/need to.

But that's beyond the point.  While I still feel like Despicable Me 2's story was irrelevant and half-assed, the one element the sequel improved on was the comedy and I felt like Despicable Me 2 was a great comedy.  They brought that in large quantities.  I'm probably going to be sick of the Minions by this point next year thanks to their own spin-off film in 2014, but I enjoyed them this year.  Man, I think I'm going to lose readers already by saying all this and not even having Monsters in my honorable mention.  Sorry Pixar.

Star Trek: Into Darkness

I really wanted to have this on my Top 10.  It was so damn good for 80-85% of the movie.  The action scenes were great, Benedict Cumberbatch was a superior villain, and the story was very well done (well almost all of it).  This was pretty much the Star Trek sequel I wanted and then some...but good God, that ending.  That ending.  That ending.  It was...terrible.  For those of you who know what I'm talking about read the spoilers below.  Others who don't want to be spoiled don't click it because I have to rant.

Spoiler

Why the fuck do they just rip off Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan overall?  I don't mind them reusing Khan.  Hell, I supported said notion, but having a role reversal of the exact ending dialogue between Spock and Kirk, then killing off Kirk, having Spock go COMPLETELY out of character and exact revenge against Khan in the only lame battle sequence of the entire movie.  Then only then, to have Kirk brought back to life with the exact machine they teased would bring him back to life earlier the movie?  I FEEL SO FUCKING CHEATED BY THIS.  Gah!  I bet I'm the only one tbh.  I don't care.  Go ahead and say I'm overreacting to this ending.  Doesn't bother me any.

But yeah, that ending aside, still a pretty good movie.  I think it's obvious though why I don't have it in my Top 10.

Thor: The Dark World

Definitely an improvement over the original.  Still a good follow-up from The Avengers.  But having already seen this three times in theaters (twice because the friend in question was willing to pay for my ticket and I can't say no to a free movie), it's definitely worn out a bit on me.  I'm kinda considering passing on the DVD at this point too.

Want an actual complaint though?  The mortal characters were dull, uninteresting, or unfunny this time around.  Jane was one-dimensional, her assistant was NOT FUNNY, and Selvig just wore his welcome easily.  I don't care if he was unintentionally crazy, it's not funny.  Just aggravating.

We're The Millers

Definitely did not expect this to be as funny as it was.  Easily the winner of the very pleasant surprise comedy that no one saw coming award.  Probably am never going to sit through it again since I can see me not laughing at plenty of these jokes a second time around, but I appreciate it for actually making me laugh, which most comedies did not do this year.

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

Definitely do plan on sitting through this again.  Very funny.  However, I have to point out some flaws now that I've let this soak in after nearly two weeks.  The story was definitely weak and even at times freaking impossible that they went the routes they did.  Brick's character was even more over the top than I expected.  Some of the cameos that went down strayed far too away from the story to nearly drag the movie out longer.  Oh and reusing some key jokes from the first one.  While I still laughed, I expected more.  I still recommend this movie and I'm still going to get it on Blu-Ray/DVD.  Definitely one of my favorite comedies this year and still plenty of quotable material that I'll laugh at for years to come.

Iron Man 3

Just like Thor 2, I still highly recommend this movie and I definitely did enjoy it, even after three times of seeing this as well.  Definitely enjoyed this more than Thor 2 and almost made my Top 10 over the only tentpole film in my Top 10.  What was the problem that kept it from doing such feet?  That ending.  Even a five year old would call bull on what transpired afterwards.  The end credit sequence proves it.  I just feel they wanted to call the movie over by going the cliche superhero trilogy route, but I expected more than that from Marvel.  Oh well, at least this was way better than Iron Man 2.

Now that all that is taken care of, I present to you

THE TOP 10

10. Catching Fire

Spoiler

Before you guys raise the pitchforks for me having this over Iron Man 3, let me just explain that Catching Fire was easily my favorite book of the Hunger Games franchise.  I was worried about how Lionsgate was going to handle this adaptation after the shaky cam fiasco that was The Hunger Games.  Well for starters, so long Gary Ross.  Bring in Francis Lawrence and what is the first thing he does?  Actually use a movie camera.  Sure there are still some elements of shaky cam, but at least they use that filming style WHEN IT'S REQUIRED.  Also, I'd like to point out that they actually added dimensions to these characters.  You can feel the struggles of Katniss and Peeta after everything they've been through in the first book.  You can see the rebellion coming.  Also, you can finally understand the Gale is much more than another Hemsworth (well somewhat, his character still needs some work).  I just felt like everything was far better in this installment than past.  But man, I have to take points away for that incredibly cheesy mockingjay pin symbol once the movie ended before the credits.  So corny.

hunger-games-teaser-poster-slice-01.jpg

Seriously?  I get it's the symbol of the franchise.  But...come on guys.  It's too cartoony to do such a thing.

Thats-All-Folks.gif

9. 42

Spoiler

I'm just going to keep this short and sweet since everyone already knows the story of Jackie Robinson and if you don't, go read a book.  They did the man justice with this movie.  Were some of the elements generic sports movie cliched at times?  I guess you could argue so.  I felt like I've seen some of them before.  But one has to remember that Jackie Robinson easily faced the hardest sports story of them all with breaking down segregation barriers to play professional baseball.  So with that being said, I don't think they could have done a better job at trying to nail this story perfectly.  Well done.

8. The Conjuring

Spoiler

In a year where horror films rebounded in a big way, The Conjuring was not only the scariest, it was easily the best.  It also goes down as one of the best of the year in general.  It's been forever since I've been legitimately terrified while watching a movie in theaters.  Normally I just sit through and nitpick since it's a cheesy horror movie, but this was different.  The story was very good for horror movie standards and they actually brought in actors/actresses from good horror movies of the past few years (Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson) to build in audience awareness.  Then of course, they brought in good scares by large quantities.  I went a whole day and a half without sleeping.  I can't even tell you when the last time such a thing happened to me after a horror movie.  It was that good.  I'll definitely come back for a sequel and James Wan only furthers himself as one of the best horror directors working today.

7. This Is The End

Spoiler

Note to Anchorman 2.  Now this is how you use celebrity cameos perfectly.

Eh ok, so they weren't all cameos intentionally since everyone in the movie was playing themselves, but that's probably why I loved it.  They can actually take aim at themselves by making themselves the butts of their own jokes.  God I really wish I can spoil the entire movie in this summary, but I'm just going to say that these actors with this plot and with everything that transpired.  It's just the perfect comedy for people who like to watch a lot of movies like me.  Oh and I would definitely like to have a bite of the last Milky Way.

6. Fast & Furious 6

Spoiler

Ok so I lied.  Catching Fire wasn't the only tentpole release to make my Top 10.  But damn, the Fast & Furious franchise gets better as the series makes more movies.  That rarely happens when it comes to big budgeted blockbusters.  I have no idea when the seventh will come out and I seriously am in no rush despite that amazing teaser at the end.  The sixth was so good and I can't justify it enough.  It's one of the best popcorn movies of the year definitely.  Give Justin Lin a lot of credit because this man deserves a lot for reviving the Fast & Furious franchise from near death.  

But yeah, take your time Universal.  Give Paul Walker the proper send off he truly deserves.  I guarantee the seventh will be well worth the wait.

5. Captain Phillips

Spoiler

Do you remember the 2009 Somalian pirate hijackings?  Hollywood sure does and decided to make a movie about them as soon as possible.  Well let me just say that this was a job well done.  This is the best Tom Hanks has been in nearly a decade and this is the best film Paul Greengrass has done proving that he can be considered as more than just the guy who directed The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum.  Even though I knew what exactly was going to happen (I've read the autobiography this was adapted from), I was still on the very edge of my seat through the whole movie.  I sure hope the Academy sits through this movie again because I think more than Tom Hanks should be nominated from this movie when it comes to awards.

4. Fruitvale Station

Spoiler

For those of you who have never seen this movie, which I'm pretty sure is a fair amount of you, go see this.  You won't regret it.  I went to see it after seeing all the praise for Michael B. Jordan's acting in this movie and I was moved.  I would be shocked if he does not get nominated for Best Actor.  This kid is one to watch in the future because he can become a really big deal.  He's going to be in a Zac Efron movie next month (woo?), but the bigger news is that he is going to be the star of the next Rocky movie as the son of Apollo Creed.  But enough about Michael B. Jordan, go see this movie.  Very moving, very touching, and just very well done.

3. Frozen

Spoiler

Maybe this is just more recent off the top of my head and might be overranked a bit.  But hey, so is the number one movie on my list (I saw this and #1 last week) and I'm standing by this statement.  Frozen was one of the best times I had at a movie in 2013.  The songs are all brilliant, the story is great, my heart strings were pulled on, and just everything about it made me feel entertained...even Olaf the snowman which I was worried was going to ruin the movie.  I already stated my praises earlier today in the Frozen thread, but I can't justify that post enough.  It's just incredibly good.  Like I've stated before, animated movies to me were weak this year since none of them really stood out as amazing...until last week.  I can't sing Frozen's praises enough.  I've seen it twice and can't wait to see it again.

2. Gravity

Spoiler

Going into this year, Gravity was easily one of the films I was most excited over.  Alfonso Cuaron never disappoints me and the fact that they were aiming to make great use of 3D had my hopes very high.  Guys, my hopes were meet and then some.  When it comes to going to the movies, you go for the experience and Gravity was definitely more than just an experience.  I would like to point out there are some questionable elements about the realism of some of the things that happened, but you can't help but be on the edge of your seat hoping Sandra Bullock makes it home.  I'm still skeptical about how realistic Gravity's Oscar chances are, but I'm going to be rooting for it heavily...

1. American Hustle

Spoiler

...except against this one.  Enter my new favorite movie of the year.  I did not expect American Hustle to be this magnificent.  Do you guys remember when I posted a trailer for this movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iszwuX1AK6A

Yeah I was beyond excited for the new Martin Scorsese movie. I still haven't seen The Wolf of Wall Street, but my expectations have died down a bit after reading feedback.  I still plan on seeing it because Martin Scorsese is one of my favorite directors of all time.  However, I did not expect for American Hustle to come out of nowhere and do the imaginable.  David O. Russell managed to out-Scorsese Martin Scorsese.  With The Fighter, The Silver Linings Playbook, and now this, David O. Russell is quickly rising up into the high pantheon of my favorite directors.  It was a smart move by making his four main stars four actors/actresses who have previously worked with him (five if you want to count Robert DeNiro who has a smaller role).  The chemistry is already built in at that point and then mesh them with the others and it's just simply great cinema.  I can't hand out my recommendation enough.  I want to see this again real soon and I hope this motivates others to go see it too (although this is Rated R and some of you are too young unfortunately :P).

• Like 1

I honestly think Monsters University is my favourite Pixar movie. Not only is the animation stunning, the story exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. Made me never want to question Pixar again, and maybe even forgive them for the Cars franchise. Maybe.

Could never really get into the Despicable Me franchise, but maybe someday.

• Like 1

I honestly think Monsters University is my favourite Pixar movie. Not only is the animation stunning, the story exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. Made me never want to question Pixar again, and maybe even forgive them for the Cars franchise. Maybe.

Could never really get into the Despicable Me franchise, but maybe someday.

While I do admit that the animation was easily my favorite thing about Monsters University, I felt the story was disappointing.  It didn't exceed my expectations, but I guess part of the problem was my expectations for Monsters University were sky high after not only seeing all the praise on here, but other forms of social media.  After the movie finished, I just simply thought to myself, "That was it?  That was the highly praised Monsters University?"  I don't know, maybe I should sit through it again since my expectations have dropped drastically, but I just don't feel like it was "the perfect Pixar movie" or anything of that like.  It was just a good movie, that doesn't match up to other Pixar greats to me.  But don't worry, I think Monsters University is better than both Cars, A Bug's Life, and maybe Brave.

I never even saw Brave, but a lot of my friends liked it.

I liked it too, but man I wish they went with the darker story they were planning before the idea got scrapped for the product we got.