• Advertisement

Is Mr. Krabs really more greedy in Post than Pre Season?

Cha

Bringing this topic here too.

Basically this:

Mr. Krabs sells SpongeBob's soul, defies a grave to sell a soda hat and hides a man' body who he thinks is dead in pre-movie episodes. Yet people still say Krabs is more greedier in post movie episodes. I get that Mr. Krabs is cheap the the point where he looks for a penny for a whole episode. He use to be a father figure of SB, but money is all he thinks about now, yes I know. But doesn't it seem like those few deeds in pre-movie are even more greedier? Yes, Krabs apologies to SpongeBob at the end of Born Again Krabs. It's kind of like how Squidward abuse was in pre-movie seasons. We had episodes like the Camping Episode, yet you barely see anyone riff off of it for the abuse. What do you think?

• Like 1

The difference is that money wasn't Mr. Krabs's whole personality and that, along with the Camping Episode, it was funny.

SpongeBob's comedy rides a slippery slope where if you're going to do a cliched joke like Mr. Krabs's money lust or abusing Squidward, you have to literally exaggerate things to a point where they're so ridiculous that they're funny. The pre-movie seasons handle that ridiculousness well. If "The Camping Episode" was done now, the Post-Movie writers, no offense meant to them, would most likely have the episode mostly focused on SpongeBob and Patrick annoying Squidward in the tent and end with Squidward going crazy and running back home. That's not funny, that's just abusing a character. If you are going to abuse a character, go all the way, which is what "The Campinge Episode" did- SpongeBob and Patrick did a whole song, Squidward got mauled by a Sea Bear for no other reason than "it was funny", and against all odds, he failed at even making a tent.

That's so ridiculous that it's funny. It's the same with Eugene. Eugene going to such lengths to get 62 cents from the Dutchman- literally selling SpongeBob's soul- is so ridiculous and stupid on his part that it was funny, and even if it wasn't, Krabs apologized at the end, which was nice and rectified what he did. This is different from "Penny Foolish" because PF doesn't go as far as it needed to. Eugene makes a slideshow and a movie theater and stalks SpongeBob for a penny in PF, and that's relatively tame. And because nothing is so stupidly outlandish or funny in that episode, the comedy falls flat and people look at the character flaws Krabs presents in the episode. If Krabs had, say, made a dramatic short film, or even kidnapped SpongeBob (in a non-creepy way, of course) the episode would have been funny because of how ridiculous it was.

The problem now is that Mr. Krabs's money fetish isn't ridiculous anymore. It's just a tired joke that's swallowed up his character, and thus, it feels perfunctory, and because it's so tame, but at the same time, all he does, it feels more realistic. Add to the fact that money love and cheapness are two of, if not Mr. Krabs only traits that he portrays, non-outlandishly, in almost every episode, whereas Pre-Movie, he wasn't always cheap and when he was, it was so ridiculous it was funny? Yeah. It's definitely worse Post-Movie.

SpongeBob is an animated comedy. If things aren't pushed to their very limit at the right time, the comedy falls flat. 

EDIT: oh, Safe Deposit Krabs is a terrific example of Mr. Krabs's money lust played insanely well. Having hallucinations with a money wife and a money dragon was great and totally out there, and something I'd like to see more of in the show.

• Like 2

I agree with you, ChillBob, that he does far more greedy things post-movie. I mean, in "SpongeBob, You're Fired" he fires SpongeBob over a nickel. Given that SpongeBob's cooking comprises the Krusty Krab's entire income, I think he's definitely got greedier post-movie.

Also, two words: Penny Foolish.

~Squidward1066 :)

To me, Mr. Krabs was a lot more greedy in post-movie. Examples:

SpongeBob, You're Fired!- Firing SB over a f**king nickel.

The Krabby Kronicle- Overworking SpongeBob until he finally snaps, and from then on making counterfeit money.

Penny Foolish- No explanation necessary.

To me, Mr. Krabs was a lot more greedy in post-movie. Examples:

SpongeBob, You're Fired!- Firing SB over a f**king nickel.

The Krabby Kronicle- Overworking SpongeBob until he finally snaps, and from then on making counterfeit money.

Penny Foolish- No explanation necessary.

Precisely my opinion. The writers need to think about altering Mr Krabs' character from the way he appeared in those episodes.

Yeah, and Squidward's also more grumpy, Spongebob's more annoying, and Patrick's more clueless. That's what happens when shows go on for this long; every character begins to embody one trait and they lose all other qualities about themselves because people begin to associate characters with certain things. It happened on Friends, How I Met Your Mother, Family Guy, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, and it's happening here. It's easier to write one-note characters than it is to write characters with dimension to them.

• Like 1

He didn't show that much affection towards Pearl on Whale of a Birthday, but at least he ordered Spongebob to get her what she wanted. Thus, indifferently liking her.

How do you indifferently like someone?

These in my opinion are the moments where Mr. Krabs was way too greedy (but sometimes in a funny way):

SQUID ON STRIKE- THE BILL

BREATHING- $1.00

TALKING- $5.00

STANDING- $10.00

EXISTING- $2.00

LOLLYGAGGING- $2.00

CHEWING- $1.00

BORN AGAIN KRABS

YOU CAN HAVE YOUR FRY COOK OR YOUR MONEY, KRABS! ONE OR THE OTHER

​That depends. How much money we talkin' about?

62 CENTS!

Okay I'll take the money.

PENNY FOOLISH

need i say more?

THE CENT OF MONEY

once again, need i say more?

SPONGEBOB IS FIRED

DER I'LL FIRE YOU BECAUSE OF A NICKEL

Yeah, and Squidward's also more grumpy, Spongebob's more annoying, and Patrick's more clueless. That's what happens when shows go on for this long; every character begins to embody one trait and they lose all other qualities about themselves because people begin to associate characters with certain things. It happened on Friends, How I Met Your Mother, Family Guy, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, and it's happening here. It's easier to write one-note characters than it is to write characters with dimension to them.

I seriously couldn't like this statement any more if I tried. Terminoob stated it best about one dimensional characters. To list off more examples: Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, Phineas & Ferb, The Fairly Oddparents, iCarly, Victorious. One note characters are very easy to write. Not saying that it's a bad thing because I like all these shows (or at least use to in some cases) listed. The problem is if the idea well runs dry for ways to exploit the one dimension of a character. Which is probably why we get so many Plankton episodes of SpongeBob in the latter years because how many more episodes can they do that revolve around Mr. Krabs obsession with money?