• Advertisement

Squidward likes _______ more than _________

MMM

This is an interesting topic i've questioned ever since the show began. Who does Squidward like more, Spongebob or Patrick. We know he hates them both for the most part, but which does he hate less?

It could be Spongebob, in examples like Christmas Who. I say Christmas Who because after Squid sees how Spongebob is sad of him poking fun that Santa didn't arrive (unknowing the fact that expected Santa on December 23-24), and he became a good person and sold everything in his entire house while dressing up as Santa, just make to Spongebob happy and tricking into to believe a skinny, bulgy nosed "Santa" really did show up, but Patrick got his "wristwatch", Squid just gave Pat a look of annoyance. That's one of the few examples that has possible evidence Spongebob is a favorite of Squidward, but, also, there's Dying for Pie, but Patrick didn't really appear in the episode. A very similar case occurs with Pizza Delivery. What I mean by that is Patrick was nowhere in Pizza Delivery, but still, when the customer yelled at Spongebob for not getting his drink, and making Spongebob begin to cry, Squidward doesn't even care and throws the pizza in the customer's face. The reason he might have done that is because he went through many difficult tasks to get the customer, or should I say the "Krustomer", won't even eat the pizza, so he get raged that he went through all of that for possibly nothing. However, it might be because he cared about Spongebob, and maybe about how much he wanted to get the guy his food, but it might be Spongebob.

Spongebob Wiki has come to a conclusion that, to quote Squidward and Spongebob's bassinet duo (feat. Patrick) in Naughty Nautical Neighbors, "Squidward likes Patrick more than Spongebob!". An example of where Squidward DOES like Patrick more than Spongebob is in Squidward's School for Grown Ups, but this is a pretty weak example. The reason I say Squidward School for Grown Ups is a poor example of Squidward preferring Patrick over Spongebob is because Squidward only liked Patrick for the specific longer part of the episode where Patrick suddenly had a sea urchin resting on his face (lord knows why he was resting on PATRICK'S FACE), which Squidward mistook for a beard. Squid thought that Patrick was suddenly a grown up, and liked him only for that. There a probably a couple other examples that stage the idea that Squidward does indeed like Patrick more than Spongebob, but I can't remember them off the tip of my tongue. Another possible reason that Spongebob likes Patrick more than Spongebob is that Patrick is absent in some of the "Spongebob annoying Squidward episodes", so it might be possible that Squidward is able to handle Patrick better because he annoys him less, but I really don't know.

In conclusion, I think that Squidward actually likes Spongebob more. I couldn't give much examples for him liking Patrick, but I could give several of him sympathizing with Spongebob, even if Patrick had nothing to do with episodes like Pizza Delivery and Dying for Pie, and even though Patrick appears less in the Squid abuse episodes than Spongebob did and/or does, i've still come to the conclusion that Squidward thinks Spongebob is better than Patrick, so that answers my opinion of a big question that baffles many-a Spongebob fans. What do you think about all this?

Squidward does not have any relationship with Patrick, but he does have one with SpongeBob (which in some cases can be quite alright). Since he does know SpongeBob, and doesn't care about Patrick, and SB is the one that makes Patrick annoying in his eyes, I'm sure that he hates SpongeBob more. I think he even mentioned it few times. To name a few: 'If only you were SpongeBob', 'You're almost as annoying as SpongeBob', 'at least there's no SpongeBob'. In all these situations Patrick was present.

But it's not very clear, though. In Restraining SpongeBob Squidward admits that Patrick is more annoying on short notice.

Let's just remind the sweet words once spoken by Squidward: 'I hate all of you'.

• Like 1

Squidward generally has spent more time with SpongeBob rather it be at work or in a plot device. I think he finds SpongeBob a less babbling goon than Patrick. Sometimes when situations are really bad and SpongeBob starts to cry (not for nothing like most episodes show him doing now) Squidward's conscience kicks in and he feels bad for the little weirdo. To be honest, that's really always a touching moment for me. Especially Christmas Who? (And in that day Squidward's heart grew three siz- you get the point...:P)

SpongeBob generally annoys Squidward more, but I really think the both of them communicate better than a Squid/Pat friendship.

"I can't wait to spend my whole day with my two best friends, SpongeBob and..."

"Patrick!"

"Right..."

I think Squidward likes Patrick more than SpongeBob.

Yeah sure Squidward has some sort of relationship with SpongeBob, but at the same time though, how often do we hear Squidward talk negatively solely about Patrick? Rarely. We constantly hear about his disdain towards just SpongeBob and SpongeBob + Patrick. It's hard to think of a time that it was just Patrick. So that's why I think SpongeBob despite the positives we've seen about their relationship.