• Advertisement

Arthur

The Crow

They're at 16 right now. I've seen this type of animation in another show, but I can't quite think of it what it is, the only one that comes to mind is that Cat in the Hat show they're currently airing now. At least it ain't CG but I guess I'm speaking as a fan of the show from the beginning. It's just too...static wonky, for my liking.

Well from what I can tell ya is that I do love this show, but I can't tell you how many seasons I've watched of it. Maybe 7 or 8? I think a trip to some episode guide is in order today because it's currently driving me bonkers. :P

I've probably watched like, 10 tops. Its a good thing a good majority of them are on YouTube.

I definitely need to watch the premiere again, all I know is that some new rabbit, that reminds me of Sandy, is the new kid in town.

I've been watching the episodes of S16, and here's my thoughts.

GOOD:

Plots don't fall too far from the tree. The characters are still the same.

The characters still have the sort of same characteristics.

The show looks brighter now.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but the title cards are snippets of the ep.

BAD:

The voice acting. It doesn't sound good. DW sounds a little more like a boy, and Arthur sounds a little bit like Martha the dog from "Martha Speaks".

The new animation. I did say it's brighter, but it looks less fluid and descriptive. And the smiles on the show (Not Servin' Up Smiles, though.) are a bit freaky.

I guess a problem with the original and now is that the plot can be a bit predictable.

My thoughts on the premiere ep:

I thought it was good, but the introduction was handled poorly. Lydonna (sp?) didn't get built up. Instead, she's thrown straight into the episode, getting a few minutes of just her. I like Lydonna's character, but she could've been handled easier. Plus she has no mention the next episode. Weird...

I'd give the premiere a B. The new season seems good, but a step down from Seasons 15 and back.

It looks like Arthur has converted to flash animation, starting with Season 16. Not sure if the producers are running low on funds, but at least it's far more welcoming than Cyberchase's shift to flash. Of course, I don't judge a show on artwork as long as other elements are kept the same.

So April 9th is tomorrow. I don't think they were going to air the episode though.

Also, it looks like Season 16 has gotten abysmal reviews. I guess I could agree. The show kind of lost it's charm. Whether it's the animation or the OC characters (Arthur in Flippity Francine... jeez), it doesn't feel the same. Even Season 15 was great!

Well, Season 16's done. I missed the last two due to not being able to record it, but from what I saw, it was pretty terrible. At best, the season was okay (Fern and the Case of the Stolen Story), and at worst, it reaches points that Big Hit didn't even reach (On the Buster Scale). Looking back at my review on the premiere, I was too generous to it. I give it a C- because the first half's okay, but the 2nd plot is mean. I don't have time to review all the episodes at the moment, but I just want to mention my thoughts. I feel as if the workers didn't pay attention to the past 15 seasons. I mean, everybody became stupider and meaner (Watch Muffy on "Sue Ellen Vegges Out" and you'll see why). Another reason is Arthur's voice. Arthur's voices back then at least tried to make him sound bored of life. This voice sounds too happy and feminine (Not being sexist about that. I mean, Arthur is a guy).

I really am upset about 9 Story. They took out the charm, replaced the animation with creepy jerky animation, and changed the demographic to kids only. Even then, the morals are confusing. I mean, "Sue Ellen Vegges Out" is supposed to be "vegetarianism is hard." The episode itself is basically this: Sue Ellen becomes vegetarian, but Francine and Muffy compete to see how long they can. And Muffy will do anything. The episode doesn't really care about vegetarians, and by the end, you'll wonder why these people are even friends. I'm out of time now, so bye. May talk later.

So I was binge watching some episodes right about now and I really missed out on this show as a kid. It truly is one of the greatest PBS Kids shows ever. Though Season 16 and so on wasn't the best though. Not just because of the animation, the whole show didn't feel right after Season 16. Seriously, in "So Funny I Forgot To Laugh", Arthur acts like an oblivious bully to Sue Ellen even after being asked to stop. That episode just rubs me the wrong way because Arthur would never do anything like that. Okay, I know he did hit D.W. in "Arthur's Big Hit", but at least he had a reason to. Plus, D.W. is annoying. All Arthur did in this episode was make fun of Sue Ellen's sweater saying it was all a joke, which makes Arthur look more like an asshole. Doesn't matter if he still learned his lesson at the end of the episode, it still didn't sit right with me.

But just because there are a few duds doesn't mean the show as a whole is awful. It's still one of my favorite cartoons ever. My favorite episodes are probably Arthur Meets Mr. Rogers, April 9th, Arthur's Not So Real Music Festival With The Really Long Name, Elwood City Turns 100, and more.

Arthur is getting an animation change! Goodbye, ugly ol' Flash:

http://www.awn.com/news/oasis-animation-tapped-new-seasons-arthur

Their website claiming to use Toon Boom has gotten my hopes up. Now I don't know if this means Arthur is going back to traditional animation or if the animation will start looking more like Wander Over Yonder, but either way, this is a pleasant surprise.

Edited by Lord Dominator

Reading through some of the older posts in this thread and...I actually love D.W. :P  Yeah she can be bratty but she also has some of the most hilarious one-liners in the show. And I appreciate moments like in Arthur's Knee or the ep where Arthur gets lost where we can see that she does care for her brother.

Recently I watched the episode where Arthur and the gang finally move on to the 4th grade and it was pretty good. It would've made for a great series finale or a total game changer for the show, but from what I heard the show is continuing with everyone still in 3rd grade. :okay: 

Edited by Katniss