• Advertisement

Survivor (series)

Clappy

2 hours ago, Aya♥ said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Of the F3 Sarah deserved it the most, I guess, but by the time FTC rolled around I was so numb to all three of them that I would've even accepted a Troyzan win at that point. Really, really didn't like the season at all. I spoiled myself and I still couldn't believe that what was happening was actually happening. Hoping S35 is a palette cleanser and I personally hope that we don't have another all-returnee season until S40.

16 hours ago, terminoob said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm with terminoob and his spoilers.  The correct person won amongst the final three and played the best game.  But by no means was she a game changer.  

This season was the worst one in awhile.  Not one of the worst of all time because there have been way worse earlier.  My problem was all of the interesting contestants were either voted out early or weren't as interesting as they were the first or second or for some people third go around.  Way too many undeserving third or fourth time players for my liking.

I'll just say the thing I'll remember most of this season was not "game changing plays" or underwhelming returning players.  Nope, it will be known for one of the most despicable moments I've ever seen on television in a long time.

I hope Season 35 is an improvement and I also agree with hoping that we don't get an all returning players season for a few years.  It lost its luster this season.

Disagree, loved the boot order. All the duds went out early. Sierra/Tai had a huge impact on the season and Sarah is one of my all time favorite winners.

Only shame was Hali going out as the merge boot again.

7 hours ago, Bryan Errin said:

Disagree, loved the boot order. All the duds went out early. Sierra/Tai had a huge impact on the season and Sarah is one of my all time favorite winners.

Only shame was Hali going out as the merge boot again.

Oh, duh, I forgot all those dud characters like Tony, Malcolm, JT, and Sandra went pre-merge. Silly me. Guess this was amazing after all.

5 minutes ago, terminoob said:

Oh, duh, I forgot all those dud characters like Tony, Malcolm, JT, and Sandra went pre-merge. Silly me. Guess this was amazing after all.

Tony proved here he was very much a fluke in Cagayan since he couldn't calm down, don't even get me started on how braindead JT is(Stephen is retroactive winner of Tocantins), Malcolm is average and not quite in legend territory yet, and Sandra's the only one you have a point on but she was the story arc for 1/3 of the season. She got her due.

Your attempts at sarcasm are adorable, however. You should want to see some new people get to shine instead of a bazillion Boston Rob situations.

12 hours ago, Bryan Errin said:

Tony proved here he was very much a fluke in Cagayan since he couldn't calm down, don't even get me started on how braindead JT is(Stephen is retroactive winner of Tocantins), Malcolm is average and not quite in legend territory yet, and Sandra's the only one you have a point on but she was the story arc for 1/3 of the season. She got her due.

Your attempts at sarcasm are adorable, however. You should want to see some new people get to shine instead of a bazillion Boston Rob situations.

I mean, yeah, I do want to see new people shine, but I also want my old favorites to shine just as bright because they're the reason I'm watching a returnee season. If I wanted new-returning players to make a mark then just give me a newbie season because it's basically the same thing except I don't have to listen to people bash good players for slipping up or getting out-twisted. I hated everyone at the merge aside from Ozzy and Cirie because the editing of this season was godawful and focused primarily on the pre-merge characters and by the time the merge rolled around I didn't get a sense of who anyone was because they were only ever talking about strategy and then they proceeded to not be entertaining on just a basic level.

Also, yes, I do want "a bazillion Boston Rob situations" because he was the biggest breakout in All-Stars and I would love nothing more than for people to come back and kill it and prove why they're cold-blooded players and amazing characters, but I don't think we got any of that here. Aside from that, if they're casting for a returnee player season, then yes I want to see my favorite returnee players do well - that's the point of returnee seasons, to see 18-20 of you favorites come back and play again. So, I don't know, sorry I fell into that trap of anticipating my favorite players. Next time I'll know for sure to make myself care about those Culpepper-esque characters that got axed too soon (can't wait for Lucy from S33 to come back and win FvF, or for Jimmy T to come back and win Legends).

The winner deserved to win and they'll for sure be back on a potential All-Winners for sure, but I didn't think they were even slightly memorable as a character. I didn't find anyone compelling (and I'm sure you're going to call me out for saying that while in the same breath I'm saying I'm a fan of Ozzy, but I genuinely enjoy watching him survive and I love that he's not all about strategy talk) or entertaining and I'm getting sick of "voting bloc"-esque strategies where there's no solid alliances because the editors clearly don't know how to tell that kind of story, as evidenced by here and in Cambodia (I thought they did an okay job in MvGX because they were fortunate enough that each post-swap tribe went to tribal so we got to spend time with everyone before the merge), I'm getting sick of BIG MOVES, and I'm getting sick of all the twists and advantages that just screw over genuinely good players because it's their fault for not finding something to protect themselves. The post-merge was full of that.

Tai and Michaela were good but I was already a fan of them, like I said I enjoy Ozzy but he just has nothing to do in the BIGG MOVEES era of Survivor, Zeke was average, Aubry was... not there (more bearable here than in KR but that's neither here nor there), Cirie was... around sometimes, Andrea (to me) is basically just a new version of Amanda in the sense that I don't have a grasp of her as a personality/character and she's not necessarily undeserving of being brought back but it's just kind of like "sure why not", Sierra/Brad/Sarah were all either super boring or super terrible, Hali had her moments at a few TCs and it would've been nice to see her go further, Debbie was just downright awful, and Troy was... well, you know (legitimately already forgot he was on the season - I was going through the people that made the merge and came up 1 short and couldn't figure out who I was missing). I didn't think anyone achieved Boston Rob-esque breakout character status here. It didn't even have to be Boston Rob level - I would've loved to see Hali or Sierra become a new Wentworth-type but I don't think either of them were even close to achieving that.

I dunno man. If you liked the season then that's fine and more power to you, but I don't agree with categorizing any pre-merger as a "dud" aside from Caleb and Varner (or Stephen "retroactively winning Tocantins", especially after his game in Cambodia, but I'm not getting into that) and I didn't find anyone post-merge fun to watch because my favorite characters got axed early (favorite characters being the primary reason to watch a returnee season - watching a returnee season in hopes that someone new breaks out is like watching Joey and hoping it'll be just as good as Friends, or like hoping season 9 of Scrubs wouldn't be a mistake). I tried every week to find someone to root for and I just couldn't do it.

• Like 2

Not going to requote termi's comment because he pretty much nailed my thoughts for the most part.

I will say though that I do enjoy this new BIG MOVES era of Survivor.  However, my problem with the big moves this time around was that the producers gave these players way too many opportunities for "big moves".  I mean how many advantages were offered this season?  Will someone please count amongst all the hidden immunity idols, vote steals, legacy advantages, challenge advantages, etc?  Because off the top of my head I can think of 8.  And that's way too many advantages for a singular season of Survivor.  I know Probst teased that there were going to be plenty of twists for this past season but that is way too many for my liking and lessens the impact of these big moves because they lost their luster this season quickly.

Also thanks termi for knocking it out of the park with the Andrea comparison.  She is one of the biggest examples for an undeserving third time around player that I mentioned in my previous post.  I don't get the appeal of her and never did until your Amanda comparison.  It makes so much sense.  Both felt like they got so many chances because of their looks and are okay strategists.  Nothing really exciting about their gameplay and always seem to make it to the jury somehow.

Rest of the season sucked, but they got the winner right. I'm getting very sick of people like Domenick.

People That Should Return: Kellyn, Brendan, James, Chelsea

People That Will Return: Chris, Michael, Stephanie, Laurel

Donathan's kind of in both