• Advertisement

do people still use these

Wumbo

13 minutes ago, Cousin Mel said:

Just thought I'd express my thoughts on your music lists...

On your bottom 10, one placement I respectfully disagree with is Khalid. I also feel like you really missed the opportunity to make "Believer" your #1 worst. I mean, "Juju on Dat Beat" is a bad song, the two guys behind it don't have their own Wikipedia page, but I don't think it's worth so much frustration come 2017. 2016? Sure. Still tho, when you've made the implication that you hate Imagine Dragons more than even Nickelback, and that you haven't said anything as harsh towards any other act this year, I feel "Believer" spoke as your #1.

On your top 10, I was kinda surprised to see "Black Beatles" as high, but I couldn't agree more about the production drawing comparisons to 80s alt rock, cuz' that's what made the song for me. I'll also have to admit, your praise for "What Ifs" got me to bump it to #40 on my full rankings and rank it over "Hurricane" and "In Case You Didn't Know." (The latter in which I thought it was alright, but not bottom 20 bad, from what I saw of your full list.)

Do you have any thoughts on my lists?

Yeah, I think Khalid's a me thing where I just don't get it. He more or less stands in as a surrogate for all the boring R&B I've heard lately, and his strikes me as the most boring of all. This minimalist production combined with the low drone... blech, I can't find any reason to enjoy it. If it works for you, cool, but it sure ain't for me.

I... don't know what you mean by a "missed opportunity"? Respectfully, it's my list, and I'll put songs where I please. As much as I hate "Believer", and I do, "Believer" still qualifies as a real song with a purpose to me. That purpose is low-rate action flick trailer music, but still. I can't think of any reason to enjoy "Juju" unless you're 12 or under. There is no way anyone over 12 was seriously listening to this. It does not belong on the charts, and to see this Kidz Bop crunk shit stand in the big leagues with actual artists infuriates me. At least bad kid artists from years past actually tried. These two numb-nuts got big by accident. This is worse than Soulja Boy. Come on.

I'm surprised that if you liked "Black Beatles" to an extent that you call out a specific aspect of the song that works, that it placed relatively low on your list. Maybe this is a "me" thing, but usually songs in my 40s are songs that I like well enough but not for any specific reason I can point out. As for "In Case You Didn't Know", total snorefest for me. Maybe it's a bit low as it's not nearly as offensive as "Back Road", but I couldn't find any reason to listen to it again.

So anyway, your lists. Maybe it's me, but I feel like a lot of your bottom picks were easy targets and not as bad as you made them out to be. Look, no one likes Maroon 5 anymore. But I find it difficult to agree that "Cold" is the worst song of the year by any stretch. It's just kinda dull and unremarkable, which to me isn't even the worst that Maroon 5 have done. I've cooled towards LWYMMD as well, but that appears to be just me as literally every other list I've seen on and off SBC it's placed in the bottom, so whatev. I feel like that song gets too much hate. I'll respect a spectacular failure over a mundane one. Only one I flat out disagree with is "Do Re Mi", which, yeah, I get your reasoning, but I'll take personality over none when it comes to these bros.

(also why is "cold" your number 1 but "treat you better" is actually your number 1 i don't really get that)

As for your best list, it's pretty good. Nothing I disagree with, nice looking number 1 if I do say so myself. I guess I'm the only one that "24K Magic" wore out on, but I still understand the appeal.

-I can understand your reasoning for putting "Believer" above "Juju on Dat Beat" now. You can also pretty much say it's a "me" thing that I don't have the latter on my bottom 10.

-It's strange for me to say that I've liked "Black Beatles" when it's on my top 50, but I should've mentioned that I liked it fair enough despite getting knocked out by a good number of other good songs - that's how you know how much I liked this year in pop.

-I'll admit that some songs on my bottom 10 are easy targets, but to be fair, I've despised "Don't Wanna Know" and "Shape of You" soon as they became as such. "Body Like a Back Road" can also be defined as one, but let's face it, it's an easy target that deserves the backlash that it gets.

-On "Cold," I've expressed it before that I would only be crazy enough to have it as my #1. I also felt "Cold" being the worse song than DWK was a bolder choice for me, not only because I really do dread the former more, but because even I felt DWK was too easy to hate. I don't think "Cold" is the worst that M5 has ever composed, as long as "This Summer's Gonna Hurt..." still exists.

-I counted "Treat You Better" as my #1 worst on my full rankings list after a convo I had with Claps whereas I told him that I have a rule in which a song that appears more than once on a year-end list can't re-enter my bottom/top 10 list of the year if I already had it on my list, and if I didn't have that rule, it would still be my #1 worst come 2017. And then he told me it might as well be as high up on my own full list of rankings if it's truthfully one of my most hated songs from the 2017 year-end list.

I guess that's all I need to say about my music lists right now, except I'm planning to review the year-end charts of 2010-2013 later on, if that's fine by you?

30 minutes ago, Cousin Mel said:

I guess that's all I need to say about my music lists right now, except I'm planning to review the year-end charts of 2010-2013 later on, if that's fine by you?

Fine by me dude 

Alright Wumbro, your thoughts on:

-I Get The Bag

-Love Galore

-iSpy

-No Promises

-Let Me Love You

-Look at Me!

-Rolex

-Congratulations

-...and Drowning especially Kodak’s god awful guest verse.

32 minutes ago, Happy Festivus said:

Alright Wumbro, your thoughts on:

-I Get The Bag

-Love Galore

-iSpy

-No Promises

-Let Me Love You

-Look at Me!

-Rolex

-Congratulations

-...and Drowning especially Kodak’s god awful guest verse.

"I Get the Bag"": By the end of the list I started suffering from Migos burnout, and like... I really don't hear anything to separate from all the other boring trap songs this year. There were so many of them that just melded together for me.

"Love Galore": It's... alright. SZA is a good singer but I have yet to hear something from her that I really enjoy.

"iSpy": This is nothing more than a second-rate "Broccoli", but second-rate "Broccoli" is okay. I will definitely take D.R.A.M.'s uplifting nature over some dumb song about lack of commitment, though.

"No Promises": I love Demi. What can I say? This is pretty much a Chainsmokers song, but with Demi on it it becomes something special.

"Let Me Love You": This song is pretty much the exact same as it was last year, a decent enough track that isn't really anything special otherwise.

"Look at Me!": Can't sign off on XXXTentacion as a person, but as far as trap songs go, this one was at least interesting in its grotesque nature. Certainly better than Kodak Black's attempt at... anything.

"Rolex": They're Rae Sremmurd rip-offs, it's true, but they still managed to do a better job than "Swang". This song is useless, but it doesn't actively assault my ears like Swae Lee does on "Swang".

"Congratulations": God, I hate Post Malone. I tried to find some way to enjoy anything he's done so far and this ended up being the closest. I would rather he not be part of my consciousness, though.

"Drowning": Yet another dull, depressing hip hop song to throw onto the pile. The Kodak Black verse honestly didn't even register with me because I couldn't find it in myself to care about anything in this song. Rest assured it is the worst part of an unremarkable track, though.

• Like 1

I've started listening to more songs on the year-end (mainly the ones I hadn't heard before) and working on my lists...I can't promise they'll be up before the new year but hopefully mine will go up before Todd's at least? :Laugh: 

Edited by Zooey Deschanelf
a word

2 minutes ago, Zooey Deschanelf said:

I've started listening to more songs on the year-end (mainly the ones I hadn't heard before) and working on my lists...I can't promise they'll be up before the new year but hopefully mine will go up before Todd's at least? :Laugh: 

Can't wait to see them!

13 minutes ago, Clappy said:

Your thoughts on Todd’s Worst List my fellow Patreon patron?

Eh... for the most part, predictable? I also thought he seemed kind of burnt out. There were a few things I liked, like the "that one Maroon 5 song" bit, but overall the video didn't do much for me.

Honestly, I had a feeling this was going to be a tough list for him to write because he actively talked about how nearly so much of it sounded the same to him more so than other years.  But you could tell he was feeling burned out when he talked about multiple artists multiple times on this year’s list.  Also that number one shouldn’t even count in terms of his ground rules because I don’t even know if it counted as a hit in general?

11 minutes ago, Clappy said:

Honestly, I had a feeling this was going to be a tough list for him to write because he actively talked about how nearly so much of it sounded the same to him more so than other years.  But you could tell he was feeling burned out when he talked about multiple artists multiple times on this year’s list.  Also that number one shouldn’t even count in terms of his ground rules because I don’t even know if it counted as a hit in general?

~Spoiler tag for them wandering eyes who have not yet seen the video~

Spoiler

I *hated* that he made "Ready for It" his number 1. Not only because I kinda like the song in spite of myself, but also because it was only barely a hit and in my eyes served as little more than a placeholder to stop himself from putting the most obvious #1 pick of the year at the top. When I saw its placement, I honestly said "Oh, come on". It was also a bit tiresome because, as you said, this was the third time he put a second song from the same artist on his list. I legitimately can't pin him down anymore in terms of what he likes and dislikes. He praises "Shape of You" in comparison to "Perfect" but then puts the former higher on the list anyway?? Maybe he rushed it just to say he got it out by the new year, idk.

10 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

Wanna see a list I made? :funny: 

i dunno man is your list any good

• Like 1

Just now, Renegade the Unicorn said:

what about em?

(tbh, i do enjoy listening to mainstream music, and a few mainstream albums are in my top 50)

my top 40 albums are all by justin bieber and quavo

Can’t spoiler tag since I switched to my iPhone, but I had the exact same reaction, even though my opinion on the song is still the same unfavorable one.  And yes especially about pinpointing what he likes or doesn’t like.  He said originally he thought his #10 was okay when he reviewed it, only to place it on his worst list anyway and then said what he said on Twitter about #8.  Yet he called “rockstar” really really bad only to not mention it at all on his video?

Just now, Clappy said:

Can’t spoiler tag since I switched to my iPhone, but I had the exact same reaction, even though my opinion on the song is still the same unfavorable one.  And yes especially about pinpointing what he likes or doesn’t like.  He said originally he thought his #10 was okay when he reviewed it, only to place it on his worst list anyway and then said what he said on Twitter about #8.  Yet he called “rockstar” really really bad only to not mention it at all on his video?

Spoiler

yeah what in god's name was "Thunder" doing there, that came completely out of left field. I get if his opinion changed over the course of a year but that video came out literally a month and a half ago