• Advertisement

Year in music: 2006 vs 2016

President Squidward

Which year in music do you like better?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which year in music do you like better?

• 2016 (so far)

oh hey I actually make another meaningful topic here :P

Today, I have a question for you all. Which year in music do you like better? 2006 or 2016? It may seem like an unfair

comparison considering we're in the middle of 2016, but IMO, so far I haven't found a hit song in 2016 that I actually enjoy.

A lot of them are either really annoying or just plain boring. Hopefully there is a song out there in the future that I'll enjoy, but

I doubt it. 2006 had duds, but there was some really good songs in that outweigh the bad (Me N U by Cassie is like one of my favorite songs ever <3)

So, which year in music do you like better?

Edited by President Squidward
  • Like 1

I gotta go with 2006. It has some of my favorite songs of the 00s: Hips Don't Lie, Too Little Too Late, Dani California, Gold Digger, and Dance Dance. 2006 felt more interesting, even with the bad songs. 2016 is just boring with a few exceptions.

• Like 2

Definitely 2006. IMO it had some bad songs such as Chain Hang Low but pretty decent songs such as Dani California and Temperature. To me, 2016 is really just unremarkable in music.

BTW, are you gonna do 2007 vs 2017, and so on? :P Just wondering 

Edited by Neru
  • Like 1

While 2006 isn't really one of the perfect years in music, I still find it to be a more interesting year than 2016. It is true that with this year, we got the backend of some of 2005's songs along with introducing some of 2007's songs, but that's not a good nor bad thing. For all of the "Photograph"s and "My Humps"s we got, we still got more "Feel Good Inc."s and "Gold Digger"s. Don't think I can say the same with most of the 2007 songs that made it on there. I even liked some of the stuff primarily on 2006's charts like "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree", "London Bridge", and "Dani California". It's neither a bad year nor is it the best year, but if anything, it's a more interesting year than 2016. Even the bad songs in 2006 were more interesting than any of 2016's songs so far.

• Like 1

As much as I don't find modern-day music that bad, yeah, 2006. The 10's just have not given us as many stand-out songs as the 00's.

2 hours ago, Wumbo said:

BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY ROCKIN EVERYWHERE

Of all the places to see a Friendship is Witchcraft reference.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Neru said:

Definitely 2006. IMO it had some bad songs such as Chain Hang Low but pretty decent songs such as Dani California and Temperature. To me, 2016 is really just unremarkable in music.

BTW, are you gonna do 2007 vs 2017, and so on? :P Just wondering 

yeah I'll do a 2007 vs 2017. I was thinking of doing a 2005 vs 2015 too :P

2006 was a really polar year for pop music, being in between 2005 (arguably my least favorite year of the 2000s) and 2007 (arguably my favorite). The bad songs were some of the worst hits ever recorded, aka the likes of London Bridge, Check On It, and There It Go (The Whistle Song), and vice versa with the good stuff. IMO, the bad slightly overpowered the good this year, but in comparison to 2016, it's not even a contest. 2016 is just awful, only a couple songs this year have genuinely elicited a positive reaction from me.