• Advertisement

If Kenny were to leave the show, would you like if SpongeBob was voiced by a woman?

Less_SpongeBob

Assuming the show drags on long enough for another generation and assuming that we'd still be alive by that point :p.

But think about it, you know Rugrats, Dexter, Timmy Turner, Jimmy Neutron, a bunch of anime dubs, they all have the main little boy voiced by a woman mainly because grown men's voices aren't as high-pitched, and suitable for the role. Do you think there's any leg room for SpongeBob to fit in that category? He has a lot of similarities to a kid, bubbling with enthusiasm with his cute yet annoying little chatterbox, and really, I don't even know if there is an appropriate replacement for the guy :P just wondering.

Edited by Flutterbat
  • Like 1

It would sound out of place for SpongeBob to be voiced by a girl. Even though we don't know SpongeBob's official age, he has always sounded like a young adult. Unless there was someone who were to pull off an impressive SpongeBob impression, Tom Kenny would be the only fitting voice for the show.

• Like 1

I guess I would like it if the woman in question could mime Tom Kenny well (same if it was a man), but other than that, meh. It's just very difficult for me to imagine Kenny leaving SB or the show going for so long that they would need replacement voice actors for the main characters. Spongebob isn't like Looney Tunes or Mickey Mouse.

Guest hilaryfan80

I'm pretty sure SpongeBob would be cancelled if Tom Kenny were to quit. I doubt he would though. SpongeBob is his biggest role, after all, and I think Viacom, being desperate, would rather grovel at his feet than to let him walk away from the show.

Not in this incarnation of the show.

If several decades down the road the show is rebooted, obviously another actor'd be perfectly fine. For this version of the show, as with Mermaid Man, I don't think it'd be - respectful? to replace him if he left.

I'd be fine with it, as long as the voice remains similar or exactly the same as Tom Kenny's. Mickey Mouse, after all, has gone through several iterations of voice actors, yet the iconic voice is still there. When Jim Henson died, people worried about who would voice Kermit the Frog, yet, they found a voice that was dead up like Henson's. It's possible to find a replacement if you look in the right places.

However, one of my biggest concerns is Nickelodeon / Viacom in general. I don't know if Viacom would put in the effort it takes to replace such an iconic voice. They may just settle with somebody and reboot the show as SpongeBob 2.0, probably with a similar graphical difference between Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go. Then it'll be cancelled after its first or second season for being too childish. (That is, assuming Stephen Hillenburg stops it from occurring.)

I must say, when I saw the 51 and a half year anniversary of the Looney Tunes (I think that's what they called it) I remember being surprised they still used Mel Blancs voice on that, regarding his death a few years before the airing. However, when I looked it up, it turned out they had someone else do the voices. I was shocked because I really heared no difference at all! :o

Edited by BeachBob95