• Advertisement

70s' Totally Original Idea of Posting His Top 15 TV Shows

70s

I got permission to steal this ok so I'm gonna start tomorrow! Current shows are only allowed on the list if they have two or more full seasons which means three of my current favorites (Sense8, Empire, and Jane the Virgin) are out. 

Just a few of these first

Honorable Mentions: SpongeBob SquarePants, The O.C., Parenthood, Chuck, South Park, Veronica Mars, Gilmore Girls

Aaaand I'll post #15 either some time tonight or tomorrow morning

• Like 1

15. How I Met Your Mother (2005 - 2014)

Say what you will about the finale and the ending of the show (I liked it and kind of saw it coming years in advance but that's a discussion for another day), but you know what? This show was a comedy.  And it was really funny. To me, while I enjoyed the story of how Ted met "the Mother," it wasn't what I was watching for. I loved these characters and spending time with them. Barney wasn't my favorite but there's no denying he's the most iconic character from the show and one of the most iconic characters that's recently been on television. This was a comedy with some really great, heartfelt emotional moments and it's endlessly rewatchable. The show loved to experiment with the conventional way of telling stories and it led to some classic episodes. Even if you hate the ending, I honestly don't see how it could sour the other eight seasons. I'll admit that the last few seasons were a bit weaker, which is why the show didn't rank higher than it did.

Favorite Character: Robin Scherbatsky
Favorite Season: Season 2

tumblr_muc8sqXodE1qeekseo1_250.giftumblr_muc8sqXodE1qeekseo2_250.gif

• Like 2

14. Scrubs (2001 - 2009)

A show that I think mixed comedy with genuine emotion even better than How I Met Your Mother. Because of J.D.'s frequent daydreams, the show had many opportunities to do surreal fantasy sequences that were a lot of fun. But as shown in the clip above, the show knew how to take you right out of the funny parts immediately and hit you hard with some good old feelings. Watching the relationships of all these characters grow and evolve over eight wonderful seasons (and a ninth season that absolutely did not exist and no one can tell me otherwise shhh) was an incredibly rewarding experience. Who would've thought a comedy set inside a hospital could be such an amazing idea?

Favorite Character: Dr. Perry Cox
Favorite Season: Season 3

tumblr_ntzlaodubx1u0kjxjo2_250.giftumblr_ntzlaodubx1u0kjxjo1_250.gif

• Like 1

13. Weeds (2005 - 2012)

This was one of the first really "mature" shows I watched and god did I love it. It also gave me my biggest crush/obsession ever with Hunter Parrish/Silas, so thanks for that. Weeds is a comedy about Nancy Botwin, a suburban mom who, after the death of her husband, takes to selling weed to get by. Sounds simple enough, right? Unfortunately for Nancy, things get very complicated very fast. Soon Nancy is in way over her head, and has to get through many obstacles to keep her business alive and her family safe. This show loved some crazy plot twists and ending on cliffhangers, and it was a lot of fun. Towards the end it lost some steam, but Silas was older and sexy by then which made up for it.

Favorite Character: Silas Botwin
Favorite Season: Any of 1-3

tumblr_n37kwims4u1rar4xzo3_r1_500.gif
tumblr_n37kwims4u1rar4xzo4_r1_500.gif

12. That '70s Show (1998 - 2006)

This is the inspiration for my username and once upon a time it was my very favorite show. I don't love it quite that much anymore but there's still a lot to love here. This was one of the first shows I properly watched from start to finish, and while it's obviously not heavily serialized it was still a rewarding experience to get to see these people grow up and mature. And it was really funny! I still remember moments from this show and randomly start laughing. Taking place in the 1970s actually gives the show a really timeless feel, it doesn't feel dated like some other shows from its time because it was already a "period piece." This is another show where the last couple of seasons aren't quite as good but that's pretty much every show that runs longer than four or five seasons if we're being honest. It still remained funny (I guess the last season is debatable in that regard but I still managed to watch the entire thing). The ending is still bullshit though.

Favorite Character: Jackie Burkhart
Favorite Season: Season 5

tumblr_mp57pnAlTM1s00ervo4_r2_250.giftumblr_mp57pnAlTM1s00ervo3_r2_250.gif
tumblr_mp57pnAlTM1s00ervo1_r1_250.giftumblr_mp57pnAlTM1s00ervo2_r2_250.gif

• Like 1

I'm scared?

No need to be.  I'm open to people liking it.  Don't know what Hayden is jabbering on about.

Btw good list minus Weeds.  Never really got the appeal of it even after trying it.

• Like 2

11. The Simpsons (1989 - present)

HELP I FORGOT ABOUT THIS SCENE AND HOW CUTE IT WAS OH MY GOD

Anyways. This is the only animated show on my list. Sorry to disappoint with the lack of them but there's definitely not one better than this. I don't watch the show when it airs on TV anymore because, like many people, I don't really care for the more recent seasons. They're not usually bad or anything, but they just don't capture the magic of the first eight or so seasons of the show. I won't say the show should end, because I literally don't know what a world without new episodes of The Simpsons looks like. It's not amazing anymore but episodes are still good for a chuckle. Anyways, the golden years of this show still haven't been matched by another animated show and probably never will be. Just amazing satire and comedy with heart. Really, while new episodes are still funny, I find that they lack the heart that made the show so special in the first place. I think Family Guy influenced the show to make everything just a bit meaner. I'm not sure if the timelines line up for that or make sense at all, but Family Guy became hugely popular by making all of its characters abusive assholes, so. At least The Simpsons has never gotten that far.

Favorite Character: Homer Simpson
Favorite Season: Season 6?

tumblr_nbv3qfY4qp1qh59n0o7_250.giftumblr_nbv3qfY4qp1qh59n0o8_250.gif

• Like 3

I don't think Family Guy made Simpsons mean. Simpsons was a little mean in season 10-12, while in those years Family Guy was fresh. Simpsons these days is just bland (with an exception of some episodes like Holidays of Future Passed, The Man Who Grew Too Much), not mean like new Family Guy episodes. I still love the series no matter what. I grew up watching it wih season 15-18 actually and I loved it so much. Then I watched all seasons and I loved it even more but no season will ever beat first eight sesons.

I don't think Family Guy made Simpsons mean. Simpsons was a little mean in season 10-12, while in those years Family Guy was fresh. Simpsons these days is just bland (with an exception of some episodes like Holidays of Future Passed, The Man Who Grew Too Much), not mean like new Family Guy episodes. I still love the series no matter what. I grew up watching it wih season 15-18 actually and I loved it so much. Then I watched all seasons and I loved it even more but no season will ever beat first eight sesons.

Maybe mean is the wrong word. But even when Homer was a jackass in the first seasons, you knew he still loved his family. I don't get that from the new seasons all the time? That's more what I mean.

• Like 1