• Advertisement

70s' Totally Original Idea of Posting His Top 15 TV Shows

70s

3. Shameless (U.S.) (2011 - present)

I say this with the approval of one of my British friends: This American adaptation is way better than the U.K. original. The show is laugh out loud funny and often genuinely heart-breaking. The show is a dark comedy about the Gallagher family, a poor family that lives in Chicago and is taken care of by their sister Fiona because their dad is a deadbeat drunk. It has my favorite fictional character of all time with Mickey Milkovich, and many other amazing characters like Fiona, Ian, and Lip. Ian and Mickey's relationship is also my favorite in any TV show or movie or book, ever. Mickey's character and their relationship has been so important to me personally, and I'm really grateful to the show for it. But even outside of that, this show is just so entertaining. I thought it kind of stumbled in its most recent season, but that doesn't change the fact that it's one of my favorite shows of all time. If it manages to recover from the previous season it could even move up some more. If you haven't watched this show, I highly, HIGHLY recommend it. And when you do watch please talk to me about it because I force literally all my friends to and I need to talk about it. Probably with a therapist, to be honest. Watch it, you'll have so much fun! Totally won't ruin your entire life, I promise.

Favorite Character: Mickey Milkovich
Favorite Season: Season 4

tumblr_njw40ebqJl1tjb7tho4_r1_250.giftumblr_njw40ebqJl1tjb7tho8_250.gif
tumblr_njw40ebqJl1tjb7tho3_r2_250.giftumblr_njw40ebqJl1tjb7tho7_250.gif
tumblr_njw40ebqJl1tjb7tho6_250.giftumblr_njw40ebqJl1tjb7tho10_r4_250.gif
tumblr_njw40ebqJl1tjb7tho1_r1_250.giftumblr_njw40ebqJl1tjb7tho5_r1_250.gif

2. Glee (2009 - 2015)

I know, I know... This show is deeply, seriously flawed after the first season. Scratch that, including the first season. The entire thing is kind of a mess. But I loved every second of it (that's actually a total lie but bear with me). I did consider putting this show at the number 1 spot because it has a huge place in my heart. I'm an administrator on Glee Forum and have been there since 2010. When I went through some seriously horrible times in my life, that forum was there for me, and so was the show itself. I grew to kind of dislike him, but the character of Kurt Hummel was also so important to me early on and helped me a ton in coming to terms with my sexuality, as did Santana. I can always watch Glee when I'm feeling shitty. Mess or not (and it is), it's my show. I loved the new characters that were brought in during season 4, I loved most of what happened in New York City. Season 5 (after the tragic death of Cory Monteith and, as a result, Finn) was clearly unsure of itself and went through many changes that often weren't all that good. But the final season was a mostly good return to form, in my opinion, and I loved the finale. If you're already against the show, there's probably no way I can convince you to like it. And I get that, honestly. But it's been special to me for a long time and no matter how shitty it sometimes was I look back on my experience with the show very fondly. (Fuck off, Hayden.)

Favorite Character: Sam Evans and Santana Lopez and Rachel Berry
Favorite Season: Season 1

tumblr_nldhsrYcej1qzh21go1_250.giftumblr_nldhsrYcej1qzh21go2_r1_250.giftumblr_nldhsrYcej1qzh21go3_r1_250.gif
tumblr_nldhsrYcej1qzh21go4_r1_250.giftumblr_nldhsrYcej1qzh21go7_r1_250.giftumblr_nldhsrYcej1qzh21go8_r1_250.gif
tumblr_nldhsrYcej1qzh21go9_r1_250.giftumblr_nldhsrYcej1qzh21go5_r2_250.giftumblr_nldhsrYcej1qzh21go6_r1_250.gif
tumblr_nldhsrYcej1qzh21go10_r1_500.gif

#1 is coming soon but first I wanted to give the spotlight to a few current shows that aren't eligible for my list because they don't have three seasons yet, but would otherwise be very likely to get a spot. These aren't honorable mentions, because if I'm including them they probably would've found a way on my list:

Jane the Virgin

This show would probably be in my top 5 if it were eligible for the list. It's honestly perfect. When it first premiered I, along with pretty much everyone, was really skeptical of its premise. A virgin is accidentally inseminated with someone's sperm and gets pregnant? But the show works so much better than it has any right to. It's a flawless mix of humor and heart, and parodying telenovela tropes while completely embracing them is an inspired idea. It's no surprise that this is the first show from the CW to get nominated at the Golden Globes. Not only did it get nominated, but Gina Rodriguez got a well-deserved win for her amazing portrayal of Jane. This show gets my highest recommendation no matter who you are. Also, #TeamMichael.

Sense8

This show... is even harder to explain than Jane the Virgin. But I wholeheartedly recommend it. Basically, eight people's brains are connected. If we're being real, for the first few episodes you're going to be confused. You'll be able to follow what's happening, but you'll be confused. But then it all kind of just clicks together in episode three or four and suddenly you're amazed. Or at least, I was. This is an extremely ambitious show and it's beautiful. As with all Netflix original shows, it's perfect for a binge.

Fargo

This fucking show. It's hard to say much about it because I almost don't want to give ANYTHING away. Season 1 was a masterful bit of storytelling and season 2 so far looks like it could be even better. It's surprising that they could take the structure and feeling of the classic movie and make it work for a ten-hour TV show but they've done it so well, you might even say it's better.

Jane the Virgin is SO GOOD! At first I was #TeamRafael af but Michael is so sweet to Jane, I dunno. 

I've heard of Sense8 and Fargo but never bothered to check them out, maybe I'll give them a chance.

Without any further ado...

1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997 - 2003)

Yep, this is my favorite show of all time. From beginning to end, just one of the best things I've ever seen. Actually, that's kind of a lie. Season one isn't that great. But what comes after that... wow. It's a shame that this show was sometimes dismissed as a "girly" show, but it definitely seems to have gained a huge following now, as it deserves. I discovered it on Netflix years ago and loved it so much. I wasn't the only one that loved it, my brother and parents watched most of it with me. Literally anyone can enjoy this show with its action, witty dialogue, and great acting. People now know Joss Whedon for directing The Avengers but Buffy in its prime is better. The show also had the best musical episode I've ever seen. It had Hush, a truly terrifying episode. It had the saddest episode of television I've ever seen (won't get into details just in case anyone wants to give the show a shot). Because of this show, Sarah Michelle Gellar has become one of my absolute favorite actresses. Buffy is one of my favorite characters ever on TV and her portrayal was flawless. I loved watching the show and spending time with Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles, Anya, Cordelia, Tara, and everyone else. It's hilarious that this was based off of a pretty shitty movie and it is so, SO much better. "Reboots" of TV shows and movies are starting to get out of hand, but if they ever bring Buffy back, you won't hear me complaining.

Favorite Character: Buffy Summers (obviously)
Favorite Season: Season 3

tumblr_njl14fA0tF1raqnf9o2_250.giftumblr_njl14fA0tF1raqnf9o3_250.giftumblr_njl14fA0tF1raqnf9o9_250.gif
tumblr_njl14fA0tF1raqnf9o6_250.giftumblr_njl14fA0tF1raqnf9o4_250.giftumblr_njl14fA0tF1raqnf9o5_250.gif
tumblr_njl14fA0tF1raqnf9o7_250.giftumblr_njl14fA0tF1raqnf9o1_250.giftumblr_njl14fA0tF1raqnf9o8_250.gif

Thanks to everyone that's read this countdown. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!