• Advertisement

Bands/singers/albums you got tired of or ones you want to listen to more?

Cha

I'm curious to an extent about Marilyn Manson. I've heard that Antichrist Superstar is one of the best albums of the 90s, with Mechanical Animals not far behind, but I don't even know if I want to take the chance, considering that these are concept albums and I'm worried about my repetition, to be honest, if I do get into them.

I'm curious to an extent about Marilyn Manson. I've heard that Antichrist Superstar is one of the best albums of the 90s, with Mechanical Animals not far behind, but I don't even know if I want to take the chance, considering that these are concept albums and I'm worried about my repetition, to be honest, if I do get into them.

The first step to having credibility is not caring about other opinions and being educated at the same time. Go ahead and do both.

• Like 1

If people judge you for liking MM they ain't worth shit. Some of his music definitely abides by that philosophy. That being said, Portrait of an American Family is probably my favorite. It's a good midway point between his Spooky Kids-era warped horror punk and his later nu-industrial stuff (which I also like up to a certain point).

I've been meaning to hear more Skinny Puppy myself. I should really get into Fushitsusha, too. So much stuff...

Honestly, I'm kind of curious about MCR's first three records. Their fourth doesn't interest me, but their first three sound actually pretty good. I just have a feeling people will give me shit about it with the reputation they have.

Edited by ChristmasFishbone

Current list of stuff I should delve deeper into: Skinny Puppy, Siousxie and the Banshees, Mothers of Invention, Mr. Bungle, Clouddead, Candlemass, Amon Duul I & II, Angel'n Heavy Syrup, Shizuki, Darkthrone, Arab on Radar, Ariel Pink, Bastards, The Birthday Party, Aesop Rock, Run the Jewels, Mac Dre, The Jesus Lizard, etcetcetc

Stuff I need to get into: This Heat, Nick Cave, Tim Buckley, PJ Harvey, Minutemen, The Zombies, The Kinks, Leonard Cohen, Black Sabbath, Wipers, Mercury Rev, solo Iggy Pop, Belle and Sebastian, The United States of America, solo John Lennon, Devo, Simon and Garfunkel, Joni Mitchell, The Fall, Les Rallizes Denudes, The Jesus Lizard, Magazine, Tuxedomoon, The Feelies, 1/2 Japanese, The Birthday Party, Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Eric Dolphy, Fela Kuti, The Gun Club, Exuma, Serge Gainsbourg, Comus, Slayer, Sun Kil Moon, Depeche Mode, Amon Duul, Big Star, Beastie Boys, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Curtis Mayfield, The Stone Roses, The Germs, J Dilla, Nico, Blue Cheer, George Harrison, Thelonious Monk, Moondog, Christian Death, Death, Sly and the Family Stone, Adolescents, Cows, Built to Spill, Cocteau Twins, Public Enemy, Broken Social Scene, The Sonics, Albert Ayler, Have a Nice Life, American Football

This isn't even close to complete. No pressure amirite

On 12/30/2015 at 1:36 PM, Elastic Dawg said:

Run the Jewels

Love these guys. Definitely not difficult to get into because they only have two real albums, so just start with the first and then listen to the second. They also did a remix of Heart is Full by Miike Snow and I really love it.

On 1/1/2016 at 0:57 PM, terminoob said:

Love these guys. Definitely not difficult to get into because they only have two real albums, so just start with the first and then listen to the second. They also did a remix of Heart is Full by Miike Snow and I really love it.

Oi, i've heard 'em both since I posted this. Both awesome. Lie, Cheat, Steal is one of the best hip hop tracks i've heard, ever.

Tired of (well, I wouldn't say "tired of" because I still love listening to them, I've just explored enough of their discography to where there's little more to take): Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers (shocker!), Radiohead (after I get in rainbows, that is), Grateful Dead, and maybe Nirvana (I still need Bleach and Incesticide, but I already have Nevermind, In Utero, MTV Unplugged and the 3-disc box set of all those rare recordings and stuff).

Need to listen to more: Metallica (shame it took me this long to finally get more songs by them since I've always loved the 5 (!) songs I had by them. Normally, when I have a low amount of a band I enjoy like that, I act immediately), UFO, Meat Puppets and Cypress Hill (normally I don't like rap music, but these guys are pretty good). I dunno what else. Maybe The Talking Heads.

Edited by The Struggle Within

updated list of shit I need to get into: Alice Coltrane, Fela Kuti, GZA, Belle and Sebastian, Leonard Cohen, Eric Dolphy, The Misfits, Serge Gainsbourg, Townes Van Zandt, Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Comus, Built to Spill, Curtis Mayfield, Nina Simone, Sun Kil Moon, Exuma, Sixteen Horsepower, Chico Buarque, Beastie Boys, The Kinks, Steve Reich, Sonny Sharrock, J Dilla, Public Enemy, Wayne Shorter, Otis Redding, Big Star, Caetano Veloso, Stevie Wonder, This Heat, Arvo Part, The Zombies, D'Angelo, Os Mutantes, Art Blakey, Johnny Cash, Gentle Giant, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Sun Ra, The Gun Club, Milton Nascimento, Red House Painters, Death, Thelonious Monk, Songs: Ohia, The Sound, Nara Leao, John Cale, Moondog, Dadawah, The Congos, John Fahey, Sleater-Kinney, Marvin Gaye, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Stars of the Lid, Andrew Hill, Glenn Gould, Big L, Kazumoto Endo, NoMeansNo, Don Cherry, Gorguts, The Sonics, Scott Walker, Marty Robbins, Jefferson Airplane, Tim Hecker, Slayer, UGK, Mos Def, Albert Ayler, American Football, The Avalanches, Jim O'Rourke, Vince Guaraldi, Angelo Badalamenti, PJ Harvey, Autechre, Horace Silver, Ultramagnetic MC's, The Pharcyde, The Ronettes, William Parker, Cocteau Twins, Hawkwind, Edgard Varese, Duke Ellington, Charles Gayle, Stan Getz, Novos Baianos, Bruce Springsteen, Yusef Lateef, Andrew Hill, James Carr, Gal Costa, The United States of America, Cecil Taylor, Depeche Mode, Sam Cooke, Jeru the Damaja, Gang Starr, X-Ray Spex, James Brown, The Soft Boys, Soft Machine, Young Marble Giants, Raekwon, Tim Buckley, Cannonball Adderly, At the Drive-In, Tindersticks, Roland Kirk, Gal Costa, The Pretty Things, The Mountain Goats, Fishmans, Germs, Venetian Snares, The Cars, Cat Power, Digable Planets, Sparks, The Upsetters, Natural Snow Buildings, Killer Mike, Blue Cheer, Popol Vuh, Herbie Hancock, Gas, Ennio Morricone, Grant Green, The Damned, Stiff Little Fingers, Autopsy, Okkervil River, Main Source, Burzum, Broken Social Scene, Bill Evans, Bauhaus, Cannibal Ox

Yes, I am aware that this is absolutely massive

And once again, not complete

hehehehehehe oh god