• Advertisement

Halibooty Reviews 60 Albums, 6 At a Time

Sweat

cock

mRL8NNY.png

6. Moby - Play [1999]

Rating: 7/10

Look man, when it comes to breakbeat and stuff related to it, I'd rather have it either to be really rough and exciting like The Prodigy, or have it have to be slow and intimidating like Portishead. I objectively really liked this album, but it's not one I'd remember afterwards. I just don't know what do with generally lighthearted, fun music like this. Despite what I'm saying, the album is still quite good, and Southside is just an overall amazing song, but it's just not my... type. I prefer this type of music darker, it's as simple as that really.

5. Pixies - Doolittle [1989]

Rating: 8/10

Multiple people on both sites had lots of praise for this album to give to me, so I was admittedly somewhat intimidated by this album because I genuinely didn't know what I was gonna think of it. For God's sakes, the genre this album is plugged into is Alternative Rock, so it could really go any way you can think of. Alternative rock isn't exactly a cookie-cutter genre, you know what I mean? What I got was just overall HARD music. I don't mean hard in a frightening or bombastic way, but more in a Sonic Youth-esque kind of way. Unlike Daydream Nation though, I actually quite liked this album. Just a few songs in, I realized that the album reminds a LOT of the Modest Mouse album I reviewed earlier in the topic. That's all I can really say. It reminded me of Modest Mouse, and I liked it. Next.

4. Wire - Pink Flag [1977]

Art punk, man. Let me say now, Marquee Moon moved up a point since I reviewed it in my first edition of these album reviews. I like that album more now. This album is one of those super quintessential art punk albums along with Fear of Music and DEVO's first album. I can definitely see why. Art punk tends to be admittedly a bit of an oxymoron for some people including me, but this album was pretty much exactly what I thought the genre would sound like. The songs are very simple, yet they're sophisticated enough to not be the original recipe when it comes to punk. I really liked the album, and I definitely enjoyed the album being a bit more dark than my first venture into the genre back in the beginning, but the songs overall are a bit more forgettable than the ones in Marquee Moon, and the fact that this album had MANY more songs.

3. Panda Bear - Person Pitch [2007]

Rating: 9/10

In case you haven't noticed from my first edition and my top 50 albums chart, I love Animal Collective. Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of their experimental stuff in the mid 2000s, but I absolutely love everything about the second half of their discography. Strawberry Jam is one of my favorite albums ever, and so is Merriweather Post Pavilion. Why am I bringing this up. Well to put it simply, Panda Bear is a member of the band. I didn't know exactly what this album was gonna be like, for two reasons. First of all, it was made in the same year as Strawberry Jam, and more experimental and rock-oriented album, and second of all, it was the main inspiration for their next album which was a lot more poppy and dreamlike. So this album could've either been experimental rock or dream pop. All I have to say is... it was pretty much both! The album had a lot of odd moments, but at the same time, it was some amazing pop music. This album is just really layerful, and it didn't do anything to bore me. Admittedly not as good as Animal Collective's stuff, but it was still REALLY good.

2. Deafheaven - Sunbather [2013]

Rating: 10/10

What a beautiful transition. We went from calming dream pop, but now we're gonna be talking about BLACK METAL! Before this album, I have never heard any black metal in my life. Before this, my only ventures in metal were the prog metal of Tool, the alternative metal of Primus, oodles of hair metal because why not, and some of the more famous thrash songs like One by Metallica and such. Black metal is quite obviously from the name one of the much more extreme subgenres of metal. I couldn't say much outside of that as there are so many pointless subgenres I couldn't count them with my fingers and toes. All I know is, I expected this album to be intimidating and tough to listen to. I was VERY surprisingly wrong. Instead of scary too-over-the-top-for-its-own-good metal that I expected, what I got instead was genuinely beautiful. This album tends to be called "white metal" by some people because instead of dark threatening stuff, the album incorporates stuff like post-rock, so what happened is an album that's actually... pretty! Sure, there is lots of screaming on this album, it's black metal, but outside of the screaming, this album is nothing short of a must-listen for people whether they're a metalhead or not.

1. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours [1977]

I am going to be completely honest with you guys, I didn't have extremely high expectations for this album. I knew it was gonna be good as I love the song Go Your Own Way, and Landslide may as well be in my top 10 songs of all time, but I just didn't know what to expect. What I got was all-out amazing. This album is nothing short of some of the best pop rock I've ever heard. The term "break-up album" kinda threw me off guard I guess, but dear God these guys have chops. Stevie Nick's voice is one of the best I have EVER heard, and pretty much every song is catchy in its own right. I honestly don't know what else to say, this album is pretty close to perfect for me.

Top 10 Albums So Far...

10. Deafheaven - Sunbather

9. Lou Reed - Transformer

8. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

7. Battles - Mirrored

6. Justice - 

5. Madvillain - Madvillainy

4. Tool - Lateralus

3. Gorillaz - Demon Days

2. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois 

1. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

Bottom 10 Albums So Far...

10. Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

9. Love - Forever Changes

8. Beck - Odelay

7. Moby - Play

6. Beach House - Bloom

5. The Clash - London Calling

4. Slint - Spiderland

3. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

2. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

1. Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy

COMING UP IN THE FINALE

THE NATIONAL - BOXER

JEFF BUCKLEY - GRACE

FUGAZI - REPEATER

NO DOUBT - TRAGIC KINGDOM

R.E.M. - AUTOMATIC FOR THE PEOPLE

EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY - ALL OF A SUDDEN, I MISS EVERYONE

• Like 1

Dude I totally wasn't expecting Fleetwood Mac at the top but that was a really pleasant surprise! :D

You've got some real great albums coming up too, Automatic is definitely one of my all-time favs.

HERE IT IS GUYS, THE GRAND FINALE!

yIJ33IG.png

6. Fugazi - Repeater [1990]

Rating: 7/10

I tried to like this album more than I did, but I didn't have it click with me. This was my first venture into what people call "post-hardcore" and I honestly just did not find that much to really love. I could appreciate the album for sure, and I see why it's as loved as it is, but it just wasn't an album that I personally found that amazing. I'm sorry that I don't have much to say about it, the album just kinda left me with a "good" reaction.

5. The National - Boxer [2007]

I've already covered post punk here with Joy Division, so what better way than to revisit it in a more modern fashion? I took a relisten to Unknown Pleasures a little while ago, it it was significantly better the second time around, probably and 8/10. This album was pretty great too. First of all, the singer's voice is insane. It's just so deep and wholesome it kinda weirded me out. I really did expect this album to be just another "whatever" type of indie rock album, but I was dumbfounded by how much it wasn't that. Admittedly, the album isn't one I would listen to over and over again. It's an album that's awesome to listen to once.

4. R.E.M. - Automatic For the People [1992]

I'm not the biggest alt rock person you'll ever see, so I didn't expect R.E.M. to be spectacular in any way, but man did I like this album. I expected the songs to be forgettable for the most part in all honesty too, but instead I got all-out timeless, great rock music. Michael Stipe's voice is completely unforgettable, and I'll be honest, I got pretty excited when I randomly stumbled upon Everybody Hurts on this album. It felt kinda the same way when I found Perfect Day on Transformer, I just did not know R.E.M. made that song and I just kinda got excited. Overall, the album was great. Not a personal favorite, but I definitely recommend it.

3. Jeff Buckley - Grace [1994]

Hallelujah is the pretty obvious well-known song from this album, an absolutely beautiful stripped-down cover of Leonard Cohen's original. Of course, that was the one track I already knew from the album. That's one of my favorite songs ever, too, so I honestly expected the same feeling for the rest of the album. I was actually pretty darn wrong! The album actually didn't really stick to one feeling, it had upbeat songs, it had sad songs, and stuff in between. Most of the songs were very memorable for sure, and the one that will definitely be sticking to me from now on is the track with the same name as the album. That song in particular just kinda got stuck in my head after a listen, in a very good way as well.

2. No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom [1995]

There's no better way to describe this album than catchy. Out of all the albums in this project, this was definitely one of the more familiar ones, as I've already heard Spiderwebs, Just a Girl and quite obviously Don't Speak before. So what I thought would mostly be catchy music wasn't exactly stuff that stuck inside of me honestly (except for Spiderwebs which will be stuck inside of me forever anyways), but that doesn't mean the album was mediocre by any means whatsoever. This album was absolutely great. Like Grace, it never really stuck to a feel. I stayed interested throughout the whole album, and it barely bored me. Ska is not a genre that's short of great music, and this album was no exception.

1. Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone [2007]

Out of all of the genres that I've covered in this project, I was quite surprised to realize that post-rock was gonna be one of the ones I was gonna cover more often. I've already tackled pure post-rock like Sigur Ros and Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and bands that simply borrowed post-rock elements like Slint and Deafheaven. I guess it's my fault that I love just about everything that I've heard from the genre. This album was no exception in any single way. The album cover is a of a boy stranded on a small boat, and that's what the album felt like. It felt liked isolation and dread. One of post-rock's greatest qualities is that it provokes big feelings from the listener, whether it's the elegant sounds of Agaetis Byrjun or the apocalyptic sounds of Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven. Explosions in the Sky is a band that managed to make me feel like I'm lost and I have nowhere to go, and that is a compliment in every single possible way. Whether you guys like post-rock or not, just check out this band and this album. These guys are beautiful.

THE BEST ALBUMS I HAVE COVERED

10. Lou Reed - Transformer

9. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

8. Battles - Mirrored

7. Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone

6. Justice - 

5. Madvillain - Madvillainy

4. Tool - Lateralus

3. Gorillaz - Demon Days

2. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois 

1. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

WORST ALBUMS I HAVE COVERED (they're all still good, though)

10. Love - Forever Changes

9. Beck - Odelay

8. Moby - Play

7. Beach House - Bloom

6. The Clash - London Calling

5. Fugazi - Repeater

4. Slint - Spiderland

3. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

2. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

1. Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy

Well, there you go, guys. That is the end of it. Thank you guys so much for reading and responding so I could feel inspired to go until the very end.

• Like 4