• Advertisement

Halibooty Reviews 60 Albums, 6 At a Time

Sweat

You're doing RHCP! :)

But anyway, I think Odelay should get a 8/10, but to each his own. Having just heard OK Computer, I must say it is a fantastic album. 9/10. Personally, I liked the second half. No Surprises and Lucky are great songs. Also, I all-out hate Fitter Happier. Yeah, you might like the Stephen Hawking-esque vocals, but they don't fare too well with me. (Also, if you're wondering why the review isn't up, my computer crashed losing the review unfortunately).

Can't wait to see your reviews for Rush, Zappa, and RHCP.

the uplift mofo party plan is better than stadium arcadium

You're doing RHCP! :)

But anyway, I think Odelay should get a 8/10, but to each his own. Having just heard OK Computer, I must say it is a fantastic album. 9/10. Personally, I liked the second half. No Surprises and Lucky are great songs. Also, I all-out hate Fitter Happier. Yeah, you might like the Stephen Hawking-esque vocals, but they don't fare too well with me. (Also, if you're wondering why the review isn't up, my computer crashed losing the review unfortunately).

Can't wait to see your reviews for Rush, Zappa, and RHCP.

the uplift mofo party plan is better than stadium arcadium

I never said I liked Fitter Happier, I'm not a fan of it either. I'm just saying it's an example of the uniquen things in the album :P

Time for an update:

Well, to put it simply, my 30 albums project has turned into 42 albums!

Yeah, it turns out there were plenty or more albums I wanted to listen to at my library, so I added another 12. I'm still doing the 6-at-a-time obviously. This is gonna be fun.

Best track off of Stadium Arcadium... Hmm, still love Dani California but I'm starting to turn toward Stadium Arcadium (the actual track) as my favorite. It's just so relaxing.

Yeah, that one is a grower. And also that solo about 3 1/2 minutes in is just so beautiful. My personal favorite is probably Turn It Again for the 2 1/2 minute solo at the end. It's just so amazing, one of the best RHCP solos out there.

As far as relaxing songs go, it's "Wet Sand" all the way for me.

Wet Sand is such a beautiful song. You don't form in the wet sand...I do!

Work on the being miserable all the time thing. Then you'll get Joy Division.

I highly approve of this thread, by the way. Lots of good stuff. Can't wait for the Loveless review.

Yeah, Unknown Pleasures reeked of something that would only work as an album through a specific context. That's not an insult at all though, I can appreciate an album being more exclusive and not trying to appeal for the general public. I mean, most of the most famous post-punk albums are basically that.

Time for part 3!

nufOFaJ.png

6. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation [1988]

Rating: 6/10

Just like with Unknown Pleasures, I enjoyed the album objectively and I appreciated it, but I just didn't have any bond with it. I don't really have much to say on this one. I liked the album, but I don't love it. Maybe it's just not 'pretty' enough for me or something, but I don't really have much to say on this one. It's a good album, that's kind of it. I didn't really click with it at all. Sorry for anyone who really loves the album.

5. Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted [1992]

Rating: 8/10

On the other hand, I definitely enjoyed this album. I just love how this album is undoubtedly energetic, but at the same time, you could argue that the album can be witty. Overall, this album is just a definite future relisten. The rough feel of this album gives it a personality in and of itself. The album cover basically represents what the album is going to be like once you listen to it.

4. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot [2002]

I have a feeling that some people may disagree with this album being better than Slanted and Enchanted, but I'll stand by it. Yeah, if you've ever listened to the album, you'd know that songwriting isn't exactly its strength, but I think the feel of the instrumentals makes it up for it tenfold. I honestly expected this album to not be very great despite its critical praise thinking it was gonna be a normal alternative album, but I was dead wrong. This album was something quite different, and I enjoyed nearly every second of it. I'll be honest, it did get a bit dreary and drag on every once in a while, but for the most part, I loved this album.

3. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver [2007]

Rating: 9/10

I don't really know what to say about this album except it's just awesome. I fell in love with the album as soon as Get Innocuous finished. People can argue that this album can get really repetitive at times, especially in the longer songs, and I can agree that it's repetitive, but in this case, I don't care. Repetition is only bad if it just stays the same the whole time, but in the longer songs on this album, the songs build up instead of just being the same for seven minutes straight. I highly recommend this album, you won't regret listening to it.

2. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless [1991]

Rating: 10/10

Aaah, this was the album people were waiting for, wasn't it? Some people may think I'm doing this just for approval or something, but I really am not. I genuinely think this is one of the best albums I have ever listened to. I'm not really sure what I can say about this album that won't be boring as this album already gets infinite amounts of praise, but let me tell you guys, this album isn't considered one of the best of the past few decades for no reason. The album managed to be completely different from anything close to it. I have never heard an album like this before. The songs, despite each of them being pretty similar, are all really catchy on their own, and I approve of that tenfold.

1. Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun [1999]

It was pretty tough to choose between this and Loveless to make #1 for these 6 albums as I adore both of them quite equally, but I put this at the top spot mainly because I did not expect it to be so amazing. With Loveless, it was pretty expected considering it's one of the best-acclaimed albums of all time, but I didn't really know what I'd think of this one. You know what I think of it now that I listened to it? I think it is one of the greatest albums I have ever heard. If you read the first post on here, you'd know I already did a post-rock album, but I'll stand by my opinion that Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven tends to drag on sometimes. This album didn't bore me for a millisecond. If this is what people say is the music of choice after rock, then I'll take it!

UPCOMING ALBUMS

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Slint - Spiderland

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Nick Drake - Pink Moon

The Clash - London Calling

Well, time for part IV!

fBeeW1N.png

6. Slint - Spiderland [1991]

Rating: 7/10

Look, I keep hearing all this fancy schmancy critical appraise for this album, and while I understand why this album has all the acclaim it can get, I just don't love it. It's certainly a very good album, I definitely liked it, but there are just too many spots in the album that just left me starting to lose my patience. If it weren't for the occasional "I'm waiting" spots in the album, it would probably be an eight, but as I stand, this album is no better than 'quite good.'

5. The Clash - London Calling [1979]

Rating: 7/10

This was a pretty good album. Honestly, I don't know what I should say about this album. Sometimes, the music was a bit too simple for me, which is why it isn't any higher up, but I mostly enjoyed the album. I'm sorry I don't have much more to say about this one.

4. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds [1966]

I'll be honest, I was skeptical about this album before I took a listen. I thought that it was gonna be way overhyped. Well, I was sorta right. I didn't find the album as this amazing masterpiece, but I still liked it quite a bit. It was an interesting take on psychadelic pop that I don't think I've heard before. Like I said, not an all-time great for me like it is for some people, but I still enjoyed it very much.

3. Nick Drake - Pink Moon [1972]

Rating: 9/10

Nick Drake's voice is a blessing. Okay, in all seriousness, this is just a great, GREAT album. I'm not one to be into raw folk music, but Nick sold me almost right away. His vocals and his songwriting combined with the pretty instrumentals makes this record an absolute must-listen. I need to get into folk music more, and I hope a lot of its sounds like this. I hope I'm not disappointed. I probably will be.

2. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots [2002]

What a character this album is. I don't think I've ever heard an album like this before, and I doubt I'll here anything like it outside of the band itself. One thing I've learned so far when it comes to neo-psychadelia is that it's a genre where it's important to make your own distinct style, and the Flaming Lips did that on this album near pefectly. It's a very chill album, one that is just upright fun to listen to. I adore this album in every single possible way.

1. Arcade Fire - Funeral [2004]

When I first listened to this album, I wasn't amazed. I enjoyed it, but it was no more than an honest 7, but I felt like I was missing something, so I took a possibly very needed relisten, and I have to say, I was dumbfounded by how much better it was after a relisten. Maybe biases kept me away the first listen through, but I got a little more open-minded the second time around, and thank god I did that. This album is just awesome. The instrumentals are amazing, but the vocals aren't the best. Regardless, I'm glad I listened again, as this is an astounding album. How did I go from 'enjoying' the album to making it one of my all-time favorites? I probably will never know. Don't think for a second that this is 'better' than Yoshimi though, I love both of them equally, but we can't really have ties on these types of lists.

Because I've reviewed 24 albums already, I am capable of making a top and bottom 10 albums so far. Enjoy. Don't forget that on the bottom 10, I don't dislike a single album on it.

Top 10 Albums

10. Weezer - Pinkerton

9. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

8. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

7. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

6. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

5. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

4. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

3. Arcade Fire - Funeral

2. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

1. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

Bottom 10 Albums

10. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

9. Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted

8. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

7. Television - Marquee Moon

6. Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

5. Beck - Odelay

4. The Clash - London Calling

3. Slint - Spiderland

2. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

1. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

COMING UP

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars

Joanna Newsom - Ys

Justice - 

Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating in Space

Tool - Lateralus

• Like 4

Pet Sounds is incredible, in my opinion. At one point, I liked it better than Sgt. Pepper, though I still enjoy the Beatles' music as a whole. London Calling also has some of my all-time favorite songs in it (the title track, Lost in the Supermarket, Clampdown, Train in Vain). Considering your criticism of its music being too simple, I've heard some Clash fans criticize the album for not being simple enough compared to the straight-ahead punk rock of their first two LPs (The Clash and Give Em Enough Rope).

By the way, if I ever do get around to reviewing these albums (I've only listened to Strawberry Jam so far outside of the albums I already listened to), do you mind if I post them here? The forum post format is just a bit more convenient.