• Advertisement

There's a possibility a third movie might happen...

Joe Biden

While not committing to a sequel Sunday, [Meghan Collison, president of worldwide distribution and marketing at Paramount ] called it “a good bet,” and said that Nickelodeon deserves a lot of credit for how it has managed the SpongeBob brand.

(The Wrap.)

"In the U.S., the movie definitely has multigenerational appeal. It did a lot of business at night. And overseas, you can see how much the brand has grown," said Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore. "Hopefully, it won't take 10 years to make another film.”

(Hollywood Reporter.

So yeah, there might be a third movie in the works now. Seeing as how SpongeBob is a huge cash cow to Viacom, Paramount, and Nickelodeon, I expected this to happen.

If Nick doesn't need for us to wait another 10 years, then the outcome of a third Spongebob movie would probably be direct-to-DVD in my book. The possibility of a third movie is dependent on a number of situations, probably including the chances of it being theatrical.

Still a possibility and while I did read that quote listed above my OMLJ, I would like to provide another quote.  This one by Paramount Vice Chariman, Rob Moore.

Hopefully, it won't take 10 years to make another film

Speculate as you may, but the matter is that this is presently (for at least the next couple days), the highest grossing movie of 2015.  With it's current trajectory being above $150 million domestically, Paramount will be all the more tempted to get a sequel out in the next three to five years.