• Advertisement

Should There Be a Third Movie?

Clappy

Since Sponge Out of Water is on it's way to an opening weekend in the mid 50 millions here stateside and will definitely be successful worldwide, it now has to be considered by Paramount and Nickelodeon Movies to do a third SpongeBob film.  But the real question is, should they?  Nickelodeon Movies did not have a successful third outing with Rugrats after the financial successes of the first two movies.  Plus, audiences were growing tired of Rugrats up to that point as well.  I know I can't speak on behalf of the entire SpongeBob viewing audience, but after 16 years, enough has to be enough at some point for this property.  What do you guys think?  Should a third movie be considered?  If so, would you go see a third movie?

SpongeBob's so immensely beloved by kids and Nick that I don't doubt there will be a third movie some day. Should there be? I can't really see why not. SB's already a major cash cow, and a surefire one at that.

• Like 1

Nickelodeon Movies did not have a successful third outing with Rugrats after the financial successes of the first two movies.

To be fair, their third outing was Rugrats Go Wild, which merged properties that had little to do with each other and had completely different fanbases. As long as Nick doesn't do "SpongeBob Goes TMNT" for the third movie, it could be successful.

The second one was already grasping at straws and going super random just in order to stay afloat. I fear for a third movie about the goddamn formula getting lost on land. Despite the second movie not killing me like I thought it would, the quality of these would definitely not go up if they were to continue.

• Like 1

What makes you say this

Because in all due respect, this show has gone long enough. Nearly every single other show that went as long as SpongeBob has gotten rotten. It's better to kill the animal now so it doesn't need to suffer any further. Sorry if my logic sounds dumb. :P

Because in all due respect, this show has gone long enough. Nearly every single other show that went as long as SpongeBob has gotten rotten. It's better to kill the animal now so it doesn't need to suffer any further. Sorry if my logic sounds dumb. :P

I don't really see the logic here considering that SpongeBob isn't really suffering right now. Is it as good as it was 10 years ago? No. Could it be better? Yeah. But this isn't Season 6 where every episode borders on being irredeemable and you're lucky to get something simply mediocre. Especially considering that the show seems to be at a point where it's about to rebound as hard as it ever has with all these old people coming back and mingling with new folks, the argument that "it's gone on too long" isn't really holding any water anymore. If something can still be good, I don't really see why it should be cancelled, since SpongeBob right now seems like it's about to do the opposite of "going rotten".
  • Like 2

I don't really see the logic here considering that SpongeBob isn't really suffering right now. Is it as good as it was 10 years ago? No. Could it be better? Yeah. But this isn't Season 6 where every episode borders on being irredeemable and you're lucky to get something simply mediocre. Especially considering that the show seems to be at a point where it's about to rebound as hard as it ever has with all these old people coming back and mingling with new folks, the argument that "it's gone on too long" isn't really holding any water anymore. If something can still be good, I don't really see why it should be cancelled, since SpongeBob right now seems like it's about to do the opposite of "going rotten".

Okay, that does make sense :P

• Like 2

Eh, I'm not really excited for this idea. But then again, I haven't been too excited to catch the second movie in theaters. I feel like we have enough movies and that the show needs to be able to breathe again for a while. If circumstances turn out right, they have a fine crew to write it and people are still enjoying the series, then sure.

A third movie should be there in 2019 but the series should continue to grow because if it's over, what's the point of it? For us, the kids and whoever matters about making episodes it should be clear that somebody can watch 300 episodes, but after that, he loves the show and wants more. SpongeBob SquarePants was most of the time Nickelodeon's most popular show so I don't see the reason why should Nickelodeon make new cartoons instead of continuing SpongeBob. It may be boring but somebody can make good plot for an episode, for 30 episodes, and therefore it shouldn't be a problem to have an idea for dozens and dozens of episodes in the far future.