• Advertisement

Which Character/Episodic Combos Do You Want To See, boi?

Young Nug

Reading the topic Dylan made, I started thinking about the main cast and how they've been used lately, and realized that aside from the Plankton-Krabs relationship that's expanded since the movie, there hasn't really been a dynamic relationship that's popped up that anyone's really run with. It's never seemed to click with anyone that Patrick and Plankton work really well with each other in episodes ("Chum Bucket Supreme" is a top 10 post-movie episode for this reason alone). In any other show, Chum Bucket Supreme would've been a sign that there need to be more Plankton/Patrick team-up episodes, and those episodes would've come eventually. But, since Chum Bucket Supreme, Plankton and Patrick haven't really interacted in a really notable way since, and it's a shame, because that was a great episode, because Plankton and Patrick play really well off of each other.

This got me thinking. Why is it that since the show's inception in 1999, we've gotten nothing but these?

-SpongeBob and Patrick stories

-SpongeBob and Squidward stories

-SpongeBob and Patrick annoy/work with Squidward stories

-SpongeBob, Squidward and Krabs work stories

-SpongeBob, Krabs, sometimes just Krabs (sometimes Squidward) v.s Plankton stories

-SpongeBob and Plankton stories

-SpongeBob and Gary stories

-SpongeBob (and usually Patrick) and Sandy stories

-SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff in the Boating School stories

-SpongeBob and Pearl stories, I guess?

-Mermaid Man stories with SpongeBob, Pat, and the Elderly Duo

-Ensemble cast stories like Pressure, Frozen Face-Off, Ghoul Fools, and Home Sweet Rubble that feature pretty much everyone

Think, and think hard. Are there more than ten episodes since the sixth season that have broken these story traditions? I don't think there are, and therein lies the problem. I think that heading into this new age, the show needs to be conscious of doing the same thing over and over again, to avoid becoming like Rugrats did when it became total total garbage (talking way late in the Post-Kimi era). I'm not saying that the well's run dry on a good old Krusty Krab story with the characters we love, or a random little adventure with SpongeBob and Patrick that we always get, but these all border on hit-and-miss nowadays. Any show that's lasted as long as SpongeBob has could definitely stand to try out some new things, and new character combos are a totally easy way to do it, especially because most combos have at the least, been tried out before! Season 8 was a great leap in the right direction, because a ton of episodes defied expectation, like Sweet and Sour Squid with Squidward and Plankton, The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom with Krabs and Sandy, and Frozen Face-Off, which was one of the first episodes in a long time to feature, well, everyone.

But come on. Put Sandy and Mrs. Puff together. Or Krabs and Puff together again! Gary and Pearl? A Mermaid Man story with Squidward at the forefront? Plankton and Patrick together again, please God. Put Sandy in a Krusty Krab episode. Something. But getting excited for a new episode to see the same "SpongeBob and Patrick find a secret in a jellyfish cove" or "SpongeBob and Patrick introduce Squidward to water torture" or "The Krusty Krab crew discovers a vat of old grease" is just kinda...Boring, at this point, honestly.

What combos would you like to see in the show going forward?

• Like 1

Mr. Krabs/Sandy/Squidward definitely, I got vibes of that in Ghoul Fools.

An episode where Mr. Krabs makes a bet with Squidward to trade houses to see who has it rougher, living with a teenage daughter or between two idiotic neighbors. 

We saw a little Pearl and Sandy interaction in Bubble Trouble with how they're both mammals. Maybe more of that.

Definitely Krabs/Puff as their relationship is sour via post-movie episodes like Bummer Summer, Growth Spout and whatever else. 

Squidward/Sandy/Plankton as they are the more intelligent ones of the main cast.

Like I said on the other thread Larry/Sandy/SpongeBob.

Has Plankton and Pearl been done before? I feel like that's something that could happen once and then never again.

That would be an interesting combination. I feel like we should have seen something like that by now.

Of course, this shows seems afraid to majorly drift from the usual, more than once in a blue moon. I mean, I would kill to get more Sandy-Plankton or just more of Sandy interacting with the others MC's in general (aside for SB and Pat)

That would be an interesting combination. I feel like we should have seen something like that by now.

The story practically writes itself.

Open at the Krusty Krab at the end of Plankton being thwarted. Pearl comes in and starts talking to her dad and begs him for money so she can go to a concert. They get into an argument about money. Pearl gets Krabs angry enough to ground her; she storms out crying. Plankton watches it all happen and he gets an idea. He visits Pearl at night and tells her he can bust her out (AND get her enough money so she'd never have to ask her dad for any ever again) if she helps get revenge on her dad by helping stealing the formula.

And then it goes from there. Put a spin on the whole "Plankton tries to get the formula" formula, and we'd get some Pearl/Krabs development.

EDIT: Never mind. Would contradict One Coarse Meal. Woops.

They also interacted in The Algae's Always Greener when they were related (and Plankton didn't know she was a whale "look at Krabs' daughter she's as big as a whale!"). Which would lead me to an interesting point, would it be possible for Plankton to build a robot child or adopt? I'd like to see how Plankton would be like as a dad besides Algae's.

I'll give my vote to a Plankton/Sandy episode for several reasons. For one, they're both scientists and that would make a good story if they develop it well. And as Cha said above, it could very well include in Squidward in it since he's among the smartest characters in the cast. However, my question is how it might play out. They could make it an artistic episode or fixing something Spongebob did wrong, just some ideas.

Another thing is, I'd love to see more interaction between SpongeBob's parents. I know Harold sometimes gets easily irritated and A SquarePants Family Vacation was a great episode with them. But I know we'll likely never will have an episode without SpongeBob.

I'll give my vote to a Plankton/Sandy episode for several reasons. For one, they're both scientists and that would make a good story if they develop it well. And as Cha said above, it could very well include in Squidward in it since he's among the smartest characters in the cast. However, my question is how it might play out. They could make it an artistic episode or fixing something Spongebob did wrong, just some ideas.

Perfect Chemistry & Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy.

I would love more all-cast episodes... Ghoul Fools is a phenomenal example of how this works. Even Frozen Face Off. Just anything that involves as many characters as it can. I feel like all the personalities mashing together is greatest. 

EDIT: Never mind. Would contradict One Coarse Meal. Woops.

This could theoretically work if the show wasn't afraid to throw away old preconceived notions about the characters for the sake of story and not a joke. I remember reading something about how in Adventure Time, at the start of the series, Jake was afraid of Marceline, which limited the kind of stories they could do with her involving Jake, so they added in a line in Go With Me that basically amounted to "yeah jakes not afraid of marceline anymore"

then again I feel like if the team continues on their slightly more ambitious path we could just get another Plankton/Pearl episode and just ignore the events of One Coarse Meal (which would be for the better imo) since the show tends to do ignore older episode happenings a lot.