• Advertisement

038a. Sailor Mouth

storytime7

Subliminal messaging? I thought it was pretty obvious.

Anyway, I consider this episode overrated, but still great.

It's obvious to us but to some little kids who haven't ever said a curse word before they might not understand the joke, so to some people it's really obvious but some people might not get the joke.

It's obvious to us but to some little kids who haven't ever said a curse word before they might not understand the joke, so to some people it's really obvious but some people might not get the joke.

Ah, I see.

SPONGEBOB: How the *dolphin noise* are ya?

PATRICK: Pretty *dophin noise* good, SpongeBob.

Love the bit when Squidward grows an ear after hearing SpongeBob cuss over the intercom.

And this...

PATRICK: (riding an ice-cream truck pass SpongeBob) See ya at the Krusty Krab

(ice-cream truck turns another direction with Patrick still on it)

PATRICK: Oh nooooooo!

526874.gif makes me laugh everytime.

Overall great episode.

Ah, I always love to see a cartoon show drum up a bit of controversy. Every cartoon, at one point or another, does the "bad language" or "political correctness" episode, but not many can trump SB's witty satire. My jaw dropped more than a few times during the chaos of this episode, but it also was impressively clever. Patrick's labeling of dirty language as "sentence enhancers" is a nice touch and further representation of early episode Patrick's more "misinformed type" personality, as opposed to blatant stupidity, and a lack of morals. Mr. Krabs trying to be the "adult", only to erupt with fowl fury later touches well upon the hypocrisy of parents and all of their scolding about profanity. Squidward's part is small, but significant, passing the word to Krabs without a real sense of surprise, which makes sense. Spongebob swearing like a sailor doesn't affect Squidward. Nothing does. Also, love the quick George Carlin nod ('Don't you mean there are only seven?") The episode simmers down with Eels and Escalators, which sets up perfectly the insanity that again explodes from SB's angry outbursts. And of course the ice-cream truck bit was amusing. The big finish with Mama Krabs, and the volley of verbal assault, is insane and downright hilarious. This episode did, at the very surface, walk a tightrope of common decency, but to the open-minded, intelligent viewer, the satire is evident. The PTC just didn't see that, they never dug through the surface, and thus, robbed themselves of one of SB's sharpest works of satrical humor

9/10

This episode was supposed to have a scene where SpongeBob goes "Go 'dolphin noise' yourself!" and Patrick replies with "'dolphin noise' you too!" while they're playing Eelz and Escalators. I mean, good God. xD I wish that scene had made it, it would've been so much more amazing. <3

• Like 1

This episode was supposed to have a scene where SpongeBob goes "Go 'dolphin noise' yourself!" and Patrick replies with "'dolphin noise' you too!" while they're playing Eelz and Escalators. I mean, good God. xD I wish that scene had made it, it would've been so much more amazing. <3

LOL! That's so true. I would've loved to see that scene.
  • Like 1