• Advertisement

Alaska

CyanideFishbone

Oh my god

when I have more time, I'm going to explain in detail why I eventually want to lve somewhere like here :P

Edit:

So yeah, tons of reasons

1) I enjoy the attitude of the people there. Unlike most people in the US, they care about how you are, not who you are. If you work hard, respect others, and stay diligent, people love you. If you're an asshole, people hate you. Why can't more places in the world be like that? The "be who you want to be as long as you're a good person" ROCKS.

2) People there actually like winter. If I have to hear one more person here complain about how winter IS SOO COLLD OMG I will personally throw snow in their faces. :P But seriously, I enjoy how they don't cry like babies all the time and make the most of their lives by doing things outdoors... EVEN IF IT'S 20 BELOW. ;)

3) Winter. There's so much here to offer in winter, both visually and actively. Not only are there the beautiful sunsets, the snow from October to March, the beautiful Marches (contrasted to March here ew), but then there's the hoarfrost, the animal tracks, the frozen rivers, and the LACK OF SLUSH EVERYWHERE. ;) Actively, there's cross-country skiing just about EVERYWHERE, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, outdoor SWIMMING (hot springs ftw), hiking, photography (golden hour all day in the dead of winter woot), snowmachining, god darn it there's so much to do... WITH A GUARANTEE OF SNOW. Can't say that about New York. :( Besides, they tend to hover around -20 to 10, which sounds about perfect to me. Most say that's freezing, but above 10 or so, I can't wear snowpants without getting uncomfortably hot.

4) Summers there rarely go above the 90 mark, and it's a dry heat anyways so you don't have to sweat your ass off like you do in the Northeast when it DOES go above 90. The mosquitoes suck, but flowers and green make up for that. Then of course there's the excellent fall, and yes, they have some stunning tundra foilage in the fall.

5) The extremely amazing, beautiful resources of nature in this absolutely gorgeous state. You have.... the Brooks, Alaska, Wrangell, St-Elias, and Chugach Mountain ranges... ALL IN ONE STATE AND ALL WITHIN 8 HOURS FROM EACH OTHER :D Then of course, there's the beautiful interior landscape of Denali National Park and Denali Highway, the beautiful Arctic landscape of Gates of the Arcitc and ANWR (the northernmost mountain range ;) ), the interior-coastal blend of Wrangell-St. Elias, the rolling hills of Nome, the White Mountains of the Interior... okay you get the point. :P

6) Everything here is wild and "public". For example, it's considered perfectly acceptable to find a pull-off and go hike for a week leaving your car there. You also never have to worry about trespassing as most of the land is preserved land ANYWAYS! What the heck is not to love?

7) It's the perfect place for anyone who likes seasons, outdoor activities, and little development. Of course, I don't want to live in the bush, but it's nice to be able to go out and ski after a long day of work because I'm only 10 minutes from ski trails. :D Oh, then that weekend every month you spend camping out. Obviously, it's impractical to think you'll go out every weekend, but it's much easier to leave the city here than it is in New York (and UPSTATE too), anyday.

8) You could spend a lifetime exploring this place and yet still not see every corner. I mean, for the love of god, it's 60 times the size of Hawaii. Denali NP is the size of Massachusetts, and Gates of the Arctic NP ALONE is the size of Switzerland. Effin Switzerland. And it's all wild. :D

9) As crazy as it sounds, it's not a daily occurrence that it's -40. More like -20 F. It's not to be toyed with, but you don't have to be downright Chuck Norris to explore in winter.

10) You're free (and encouraged) to step off the trail. This is the best type of hiking out there if you have to ask me.

11) It's still America, yet it's different. I'm not sure I'd want to leave the USA as it's a great country, but it'd be nice to have a change. You can have a few changes without having to immigrate, amirite? ;)

okay ill shut up now :hehe:

*cue Omair in 3... 2..... 1*

I'd go up there just for the scenery and how long the days are.

To give you perspective, in Fairbanks, they play a baseball game at Summer Solstice at midnight... the sun will set in 30-40 minutes after the game starts.  :hehe:

Or you can be like me and have a campfire at 2 PM on the Winter Solstice lol.

• Like 3

I think if i lived in Alaska, i'd live in Fairbanks. Fairbanks is not as big as Anchorage and looks nice. Hell, i've seen parts of Anchorage and they look like Minnesota. 

And about the cold. Everybody: "IT'S SO COLD OMG!!" WE LIVE IN FUCKING NORTH CAROLINA. Not Alaska. North Carolina's only interesting part is the beaches, they're really pretty.

I think if i lived in Alaska, i'd live in Fairbanks. Fairbanks is not as big as Anchorage and looks nice. Hell, i've seen parts of Anchorage and they look like Minnesota. 

And about the cold. Everybody: "IT'S SO COLD OMG!!" WE LIVE IN FUCKING NORTH CAROLINA. Not Alaska. North Carolina's only interesting part is the beaches, they're really pretty.

yes yes yes yes. Anchorage sucks and it rarely gets to 20 below. I've seen enough strip malls and traffic jams in my life to know that I cannot fathom moving there, only to go to another mid-sized city. Just. no. :P

yes yes yes yes. Anchorage sucks and it rarely gets to 20 below. I've seen enough strip malls and traffic jams in my life to know that I cannot fathom moving there, only to go to another mid-sized city. Just. no. :P

I've seen parts of Anchorage that look like Minnesota, and i think i want to live there when i grow up.

I've seen parts of Anchorage that look like Minnesota, and i think i want to live there when i grow up.

I was originally thinking about how cold hardy Minnesotans are, but after seeing the cancellations in the -30 windchills, I'd beg to differ. :P

Maybe the frigid parts, but definitely not Minneapolis or Rochester that's for sure.