• Advertisement

SBC Rewind 2013!

SpongeOddFan

SBCRewind2013_zps5e611fc8.png

Overview

This year, SBC got the a tough situation as the community began to lose activity, and failed events such as the launch of SBU, a collaboration between SBC, the SB Wiki, and Fanon Wiki.

January

SpongeBob Universe launched on New Year’s Day, as the members were very excited to see the release on midnight on December 31st, 2012. Unfortunately, the final product was glitchy and unfinished. The staff still worked very hard on putting content from the SB Wiki to a new wiki known as SpongeBase (which failed). Later on during the month, there forum had changes with Aquatic Nuggets becoming an admin on January 18th, along with OMJ becoming a mod. Crushingmayhen became a new board rep on January 21st. Following the events of weekend of Jan 19-21, the forum went down due to server issues.

February

SBC was decorated with a Valentine’s Day skin, though nothing else is really known to have gone this month. However, there was a new signature rule on the size limit.

March

Activity starts to sparks with new month-long event known as March Madness, with contests and events between all four teams such as Team Jeopardies and XAT Games 4. The Goofy Goobers won the event in the end.

By the end of that month, the staff held a new Rep Election where CNF, ExKizuna, and Cha were winners of new board, while Crushing and Smiles stayed.

April

April came along as SBC had its annual April Fool’s Day event where the staff pulled some pranks such as SB characters joining the forum. There was xat drama the same day involving JCM causing a prank that got out of control. His rights as xat mod were suspended for 4 weeks, but he did apologize for the incident.  Later that month, SBC also held an another SWYAD, and it was a Superhero theme (requested by Cha).

On April 18, 2013 ,there was an another xat incident. This time, AN, Dylan, and CNF pulled a very bad prank as the users noticed the "S Team" hacked the SBC forums which caused the users from the forum to be lured into the xat to see what’s going on. In the end, AN says he felt the prank was horrible thing to do on the forums, saying it was done to get activity up. According to terminoob, trying to get people on the xat by doing a prank doesn't exactly work that way. The staff learned their lesson to never hack the site ever again. 

On Saturday, April 27th, 2013. The staff held Customer Appreciation Day, a day dedicated to the members of SpongeBob Community. A new skin was launched on it, which is a redux of V5 Dolphin. Plenty of things that happen on that day such as: The Industrial Park hasd increased their post count just for that day, a contest hosted by Dylan where everyone answers SBC trivia, and in the end SOF won; he received 10,000 doubloons. There was also All-Nighter as well.

May

Not much happened this month, but SBC reached 300,000 posts during that month. OMJ also broke the SBC record with total of 990 posts in a single day on the weekend of May 18th. OMJ and JCM also resigned from their moderator positions this month.

At the end of May, Spin-Off Festival returns for first time ever in over two years, where the users were able to promote their SO/Lits in SOF 4 forum. The event wasn't very active though, but it was good to get SOs/Lits noticed again.

June

The month started off rocky with the staff resignations of Jjsthekid and iDylan. AN became the new Director in Chief, while Clappy became the new Deputy Director. Reps were also replaced with Loyal Customers, and Retired Employees were introduced. 

July

SBU 2 (Squared) was launched on July 20th, 2013, and a countdown party was held the night before. XAT Games 5 was hosted, which Box won. Unfortunately, SBU failed again, making two failed launches in a row. Things got worse where two controversies occurred this month (Fantastic Five and Spin-Off Jokes). Metal Snake created a Spin-Off which took a jab at those two controversies, and many users agreed with him. Both controversies eventually died down.

August

Jjsthekid and iDylan returned to the staff on August 10th, 2013. An SBC occurred from August 23rd to August 27th due to fund issues. The members were redirected to SBM, but thankfully Clappy and Jelly managed to save the site by donating to it.

September

SBC had an SBC After Dark event the weekend of September 14th, involving contests, a SWYAD with a 90s character theme, and The Industrial Park allowed posts to count again. It was very successful. 

October

The 3rd annual Octerror Fest occurred, which included new and old events like the Sponge Witch Project, even though this year's failed due to inactivity, but it was worth a shot.

November

The only event that happens this month was the announcement of Clappy’s resignation as a staff member. There was also the announcement that Turntable.fm would be shutting down on December 1st. The SBCers decided to host a final TT party on Friday November 29th, and many users took part in the event. This event this also hold the record for longest time on turntable which was 7 hours (8pm - 3am EST). We’ll miss you, Turntable.

December

The staff had another Christmas celebration, which started December 15th, 2013, and ended December 25th, 2013. Another trivia contest occurred, which CNF won again.

What can I say? 2013 has been considered the worst year in SBC history due to both failed launches of SBU, bad Hack-E Sack prank, Spin-Off Jokes, and other failed events with drama. Hopefully, 2014 will be much better, and it will also be SBC's 5th year anniversary on August 15th, 2014!

Well, that’s all folks for this year’s SBC Rewind!

• Like 6

What can I say? 2013 has been considered the worst year in SBC history due to both failed launches of SBU, bad Hack-E Sack prank, Spin-Off Jokes, and other failed events with drama. Hopefully, 2014 will be much better, and it will also be SBC's 5th year anniversary on August 15th, 2014!

SOF, just trying to point this out here, but this is more of YOUR opinion.  It was mainly exposition and you throwing in events this whole rewind thread.  

Yeah sure you can focus on the negative, which there was a lot of this year, but just because you want to say things like "the worst year in SBC history" you should probably include the words "in your opinion" because I don't think this was the worst year in SBC history.  We tried to make this site bigger by launching SBU.  Just because it was considered a failure doesn't mean it was overall bad.  Maybe it's just because I aim to think positively, but I think we will stand our ground and rebound.

I mean this site is still alive and it's still getting activity.  It's not like SBC is dead.  If SBC died, that would be the worst year in SBC history.  We still get more posts than other forums do and for Christ's sake, we reached 500,000 posts this year.  Not trying to shoot down this whole "Rewind" idea because it is a good idea in theory.  Just in context, dwelling on the negative kinda bugs me a bit.  Sorry SOF, but that's my honest opinion.

• Like 3

SOF, just trying to point this out here, but this is more of YOUR opinion.  It was mainly exposition and you throwing in events this whole rewind thread.  

Yeah sure you can focus on the negative, which there was a lot of this year, but just because you want to say things like "the worst year in SBC history" you should probably include the words "in your opinion" because I don't think this was the worst year in SBC history.  We tried to make this site bigger by launching SBU.  Just because it was considered a failure doesn't mean it was overall bad.  Maybe it's just because I aim to think positively, but I think we will stand our ground and rebound.

I mean this site is still alive and it's still getting activity.  It's not like SBC is dead.  If SBC died, that would be the worst year in SBC history.  We still get more posts than other forums do and for Christ's sake, we reached 500,000 posts this year.  Not trying to shoot down this whole "Rewind" idea because it is a good idea in theory.  Just in context, dwelling on the negative kinda bugs me a bit.  Sorry SOF, but that's my honest opinion.

it's ok, i understand, next year i'll focus on good things from now on. :)