• Advertisement

Should the US Enter Syria?

Ron

Should the United States enter into Syria? 

For those unaware of what's happened there recently... use of chemical weapons has been proven in the area, and although President Assad of Syria has denied that his government detonated them, it's gotten everyone up in arms. 

The United Kingdom voted against striking Syria, leaving France and the United States as the only two major powers that would go in together on a strike. On the flipside, however, Iran and Russia are both adamantly opposing any intervention in Syria. 

The standoff between the United States and Russia has reached levels unparalled since the Cold War (between the US and Soviet Union); for example, at the moment, there are Russian and American warships sitting closely in the Mediterranean, where the Russian ships are sitting to prevent any possible American strike on Syria. 

Iran is supporting Syria as well, and has said it will fire if needed. 

Personally, if we were to strike, I think it'd cause a larger war in the Middle East. Syria might fire on Israel to piss off the United States, Israel may fire on both Iran and Syria, etc. 

What do you think?

I'd say no because that would be a big risk for the Middle East since Iran and Al qaeda are involved. Plus, the US will risk freezing its relations with Russia especially when Russia is supporting the Assad regime. You need to keep in mind that Syria is not Libya where Gaddafi was the main threat; Syria is much more strategic to the world powers than Libya since its allied with Iran, it provides Russia a gateway to the Mediterranean (since they have a base there) and its located in a more strategic region, entering Syria will only make things worse. Sure they could topple Assad and stop the violence, but no one knows what would be the outcome, especially when Al qaeda are fighting alongside the Syrian opposition. In my opinion its a lose-lose situation.

I say no as well. The only reason from my understanding of our possible involvement is all based off possible "what if" scenarios. I think we should remain neutral, but I have a feeling that we are going to get involved with Syria anyway.

The United Kingdom voted against striking Syria

The UK disagreed with us on something war-related? Well, good on them. They finally grew some balls.

I also don't support a strike against Syria, because like every war we've started since Vietnam, it won't end well for us.