• Advertisement

Photoshoppin' and stuff.

Wumbo

Blue_smirk.gifGreen_smirk.gif?noCache=1372274443Red_smirk.gif

Wow, it's like I'm Andy Warhol or something.

Okay, let's get down to business. I'm actually glad you chose that picture, Rickpat, as it was one of my simpler projects. :P Here goes!

Okay, so to use Photoshop, obviously you need to go out and buy the software first. If you like video-making as well, I recommend the double package of Adobe Photoshop 11 and Premiere 11. You won't be disappointed.

If you have an older version of Photoshop, the tools I'm using should still be available. They just may be in different places.

Open up Photoshop.

Untitled.png

Heehee, little bit of screenception there. Anyway, from here you want to go to Photo Editor. This will take you to a screen that looks like this:

image.png

From here, the world is pretty much your oyster. Just go on Google Images, save pictures, bring them up here, and experiment with tools! But I'll introduce you to the tools I used for the "I took the boots!" project.

First, let's get the images. and put them into our workspace. Save images to a picture folder (jpgs are ideal), then go to File > Open, and get your pictures. I used two different pictures in my piece: one of Mr. Krabs, and one of a shoe store. If you do the same, it should end up like this once you have all your pictures in, with each one having its own window:

image.png

You'll notice the images at the bottom to keep track of what image is where.

Okay, you've got your canvas. Now the fun part, putting them together! Go to the Krabs image.

image.png

Handsome fellow, ain't he? Now the object is to put him in the shoe store. There are two ways of going about this, each with their own uses depending on the picture you're dealing with. One way involves a tool called the Magnetic Lasso.

image.png

The way to navigate around Photoshop tools is to click on the left-hand side first, then pick your sub-tool and qualities of your tool on the bottom. If you look closely, there are three lasso-like symbols at the bottom. Make sure you have the Magnetic Lasso for this project, and not the other ones.

The Magnetic Lasso can be a pain in the butt to use, but it's worth it... sometimes. I actually think the other way is better for this particular case, but I'll give you both ways just in case you're feeling ambitious.

Here's how you use it: The Magnetic Lasso is a fickle temptress. You need to work with it, not let it do all the work. The idea of the Magnetic Lasso is that it's a "smart" tool; it reacts to the colours and shades on the image and follows the lines of similar colour. At least, that's what it should do. But more often than not, the image you end up trying to layer looks like this:

image.png

An even less pretty sight than the original. Krabs' eyelashes, nose, and lower half of his pants are missing. So what you need to do sometimes is click if the Magnetic Lasso strays a little from the original, to keep it on track. And if you make a mistake, just connect the last dot to where you started, right click the image when a dotted line appears, and go to "deselect".

When you're happy with what you've selected via Magnetic Lasso, right click the image and go to "Layer via Copy". I prefer this to "Layer via Cut", because you're still leaving the entire original image behind if you want to redo your Lasso, and you won't need to undo that way.

image.png

This creates a new layer above the background layer on the right, of just Krabs.

image.png

Rename the layer if you wish. I recommend doing so because when you have layers of small things, it can be hard to distinguish between them when they're compressed up on the right. To rename it, just right click on the layer and it should be the first option. After you've renamed it, go to the Move Tool on the left, located right above the Lasso. Make sure you have the right layer selected (it should be highlighted in blue).

Click and drag the image up to the window containing the shoe store image.

image.png

When you drag it up to the bar, it should automatically switch to the shoe store. Just drag your image back down, and place it in the vicinity.

image.png

As you can see, there's a bit of background left in the crook of Krabs' elbow. This is an easy fix, because it's one solid colour. Go down to the Eraser tool and select Magic Eraser:

image.png

Set the tolerance level to about 100 and click the blue space. It should disappear. Now that's way 1 of doing it. Way 2 is the one I recommend with this type of image, because Magnetic Lasso works worst when you're trying to copy an image right at the border (i.e. the bottom of Krabs' pants). This way works well if you have such an image and not too many background colours. (Again, make sure the right layer is selected.)

First, make the full Krabs image into a movable layer. Right-click on the Background layer and click "Layer from Background".

image.png

Rename the layer and hit OK. Now you can drag it to the other window in a similar fashion, resulting in:

image.png

Use the Magic Eraser tool to eras all the background, with the tolerance set at about 45. If the background pieces start to become few and far between, just switch to the regular eraser. Just be careful not to erase Krabs!

image.png

All right. Whichever way you choose, you now have Mr. Krabs on the background. But he sure looks out of place, doesn't he? Given that he's missing his bottom half, let's place him behind a table. Use the Move tool to shrink him down to a good size and place him there.

image.png

Now we add finesse. The shoes on the table disappear behind Krabs. So we need to make a layer out of the shoes and make it so it appears in front of Krabs.

You'll notice an eye beside each layer on the right. Clicking on it hides the layer. Do that with the Krabs layer. Now, zoom in using the tool that looks like a magnifying glass, to about 500%.

image.png

Use the Magnetic Lasso to select the tops of the shoes where Krabs is. You need to be precise with the top of your selection, but the bottom doesn't really matter, since it doesn't intersect with Krabs anyway. Something like this:

image.png

Dotted line's a little hard to see, sorry. So make a new layer out of that. then make the Krabs layer visible again, and drag the Shoes layer on the right above the Krabs layer, and zoom out. Like so:

image.png

Finally, add a dialogue bubble through the Shape tool. You're going to want the one that looks like a blob, then from there pick the dialogue bubble:

image.png

You may want to change the colour of the dialogue bubble. Now go to the Horizontal Type tool.

image.png

Change the font and all that crazy stuff at the bottom. Type whatever you like, then use the Move tool to drag it into the dialogue bubble. Make sure the text layer is above the shape layer.

image.png

Voila! Save it as a jpeg.

• Like 2
  • God Himself 1

Blue_smirk.gifGreen_smirk.gif?noCache=1372274443Red_smirk.gif

Wow, it's like I'm Andy Warhol or something.

Okay, let's get down to business. I'm actually glad you chose that picture, Rickpat, as it was one of my simpler projects. :P Here goes!

Okay, so to use Photoshop, obviously you need to go out and buy the software first. If you like video-making as well, I recommend the double package of Adobe Photoshop 11 and Premiere 11. You won't be disappointed.

If you have an older version of Photoshop, the tools I'm using should still be available. They just may be in different places.

Open up Photoshop.

Untitled.png

Heehee, little bit of screenception there. Anyway, from here you want to go to Photo Editor. This will take you to a screen that looks like this:

image.png

From here, the world is pretty much your oyster. Just go on Google Images, save pictures, bring them up here, and experiment with tools! But I'll introduce you to the tools I used for the "I took the boots!" project.

First, let's get the images. and put them into our workspace. Save images to a picture folder (jpgs are ideal), then go to File > Open, and get your pictures. I used two different pictures in my piece: one of Mr. Krabs, and one of a shoe store. If you do the same, it should end up like this once you have all your pictures in, with each one having its own window:

image.png

You'll notice the images at the bottom to keep track of what image is where.

Okay, you've got your canvas. Now the fun part, putting them together! Go to the Krabs image.

image.png

Handsome fellow, ain't he? Now the object is to put him in the shoe store. There are two ways of going about this, each with their own uses depending on the picture you're dealing with. One way involves a tool called the Magnetic Lasso.

image.png

The way to navigate around Photoshop tools is to click on the left-hand side first, then pick your sub-tool and qualities of your tool on the bottom. If you look closely, there are three lasso-like symbols at the bottom. Make sure you have the Magnetic Lasso for this project, and not the other ones.

The Magnetic Lasso can be a pain in the butt to use, but it's worth it... sometimes. I actually think the other way is better for this particular case, but I'll give you both ways just in case you're feeling ambitious.

Here's how you use it: The Magnetic Lasso is a fickle temptress. You need to work with it, not let it do all the work. The idea of the Magnetic Lasso is that it's a "smart" tool; it reacts to the colours and shades on the image and follows the lines of similar colour. At least, that's what it should do. But more often than not, the image you end up trying to layer looks like this:

image.png

An even less pretty sight than the original. Krabs' eyelashes, nose, and lower half of his pants are missing. So what you need to do sometimes is click if the Magnetic Lasso strays a little from the original, to keep it on track. And if you make a mistake, just connect the last dot to where you started, right click the image when a dotted line appears, and go to "deselect".

When you're happy with what you've selected via Magnetic Lasso, right click the image and go to "Layer via Copy". I prefer this to "Layer via Cut", because you're still leaving the entire original image behind if you want to redo your Lasso, and you won't need to undo that way.

image.png

This creates a new layer above the background layer on the right, of just Krabs.

image.png

Rename the layer if you wish. I recommend doing so because when you have layers of small things, it can be hard to distinguish between them when they're compressed up on the right. To rename it, just right click on the layer and it should be the first option. After you've renamed it, go to the Move Tool on the left, located right above the Lasso. Make sure you have the right layer selected (it should be highlighted in blue).

Click and drag the image up to the window containing the shoe store image.

image.png

When you drag it up to the bar, it should automatically switch to the shoe store. Just drag your image back down, and place it in the vicinity.

image.png

As you can see, there's a bit of background left in the crook of Krabs' elbow. This is an easy fix, because it's one solid colour. Go down to the Eraser tool and select Magic Eraser:

image.png

Set the tolerance level to about 100 and click the blue space. It should disappear. Now that's way 1 of doing it. Way 2 is the one I recommend with this type of image, because Magnetic Lasso works worst when you're trying to copy an image right at the border (i.e. the bottom of Krabs' pants). This way works well if you have such an image and not too many background colours. (Again, make sure the right layer is selected.)

First, make the full Krabs image into a movable layer. Right-click on the Background layer and click "Layer from Background".

image.png

Rename the layer and hit OK. Now you can drag it to the other window in a similar fashion, resulting in:

image.png

Use the Magic Eraser tool to eras all the background, with the tolerance set at about 45. If the background pieces start to become few and far between, just switch to the regular eraser. Just be careful not to erase Krabs!

image.png

All right. Whichever way you choose, you now have Mr. Krabs on the background. But he sure looks out of place, doesn't he? Given that he's missing his bottom half, let's place him behind a table. Use the Move tool to shrink him down to a good size and place him there.

image.png

Now we add finesse. The shoes on the table disappear behind Krabs. So we need to make a layer out of the shoes and make it so it appears in front of Krabs.

You'll notice an eye beside each layer on the right. Clicking on it hides the layer. Do that with the Krabs layer. Now, zoom in using the tool that looks like a magnifying glass, to about 500%.

image.png

Use the Magnetic Lasso to select the tops of the shoes where Krabs is. You need to be precise with the top of your selection, but the bottom doesn't really matter, since it doesn't intersect with Krabs anyway. Something like this:

image.png

Dotted line's a little hard to see, sorry. So make a new layer out of that. then make the Krabs layer visible again, and drag the Shoes layer on the right above the Krabs layer, and zoom out. Like so:

image.png

Finally, add a dialogue bubble through the Shape tool. You're going to want the one that looks like a blob, then from there pick the dialogue bubble:

image.png

You may want to change the colour of the dialogue bubble. Now go to the Horizontal Type tool.

image.png

Change the font and all that crazy stuff at the bottom. Type whatever you like, then use the Move tool to drag it into the dialogue bubble. Make sure the text layer is above the shape layer.

image.png

Voila! Save it as a jpeg.

.png is much higher quality. :P