• Advertisement

Marching band is a sport

Guest hilaryfan80

Guest hilaryfan80

It's true. Lemme explain why.

According to the Oxford Dictionaries...

sport: (n) an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

Marching band takes physical exertion to move around the field and to make 200 mph winds in your breath to produce a sound in your instrument. It also takes skill with memorizing your music, producing it, and being able to maneuver across the field in an exact number of steps. Marching bands compete against other bands for entertainment.

According to Oxford Dictionaries, it's a sport.

If you don't believe that, check this out. It's an article from Reuters, based from research that was done by the American College of Sports Medicine.

Marching in the band as tough as playing sports

(Reuters Health) - The physical challenges and demands of participating in a competitive high school marching band are similar to those experienced by athletes who compete in sports like football, according to research presented at the American College of Sports Medicine's annual meeting in Seattle.

"At the top levels of marching band and drum corps, you get a level of competition and athleticism that is equal to a division I athletic program," added Granata, an exercise physiologist, registered dietitian and owner of the New Orleans-based company PerformWell.

Source: http://www.reuters.c...E5514O420090602

If you STILL don't believe that, Patrick Dorsey, a Playbook editor for ESPN, lists marching band as a "Visual" sport on the ESPN website. Marching band has, in the past, also been on ESPN.

Honda even has this competition every year called Honda Battle of the Bands that you can attend.

Marching bands also have international competitions, such as Drum Corp International.

FOR THOSE WHO STILL DON'T BELIEVE AND ARE COMPLETELY NOT WANTING TO BELIEVE, even Urban Dictionary claims marching band as a sport as well as Uncyclopedia.

Absolutely not, it is not a sport. Anyone who plays an instrument can be in a marching band, it requires no skill whatsoever.

Last night you all said marching band is tougher than football, it has more practices than football, and that it's more competitive than football. Absolutely not. Football is a mental and physical game, far tougher than walking around while playing an instrument. Not only must you know where YOU'RE supposed to be, you have to be aware of where everyone else on your team is while simultaneously analyzing the other team. You need to know your routes, know the plays, as well as the names they're attached with, and be able to react incredibly quickly. On the physical side of things, you need to be able to take enormous guys ramming into you, be agile, and be quick. Just because marching band has competitions doesn't mean it's a sport, because if that's the case, I suppose singers on shows like X Factor and American Idol are all athletes as well, because that's a competition too, no?

It's funny that you think the marching band is more important the team they're marching for. Marching bands are used to entertain people while the main show is on break! Sure, it requires talent, but it's NOT a sport.

• Like 1

I believe it. At my school, if you want to be in Marching Band, it can take the place of P.E. and counts as a sport.

I wish it was like that at my school. Then I wouldn't have had to take P.E.

It's funny that you think the marching band is more important the team they're marching for. Marching bands are used to entertain people while the main show is on break! Sure, it requires talent, but it's NOT a sport.

Yet you've said several times that cheerleading IS a sport, even though it serves the same purpose and requires a lot less work. Just look at this video of a college marching band performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MREKsMPUdcg

Still think it's not a sport?

• Like 1

Marching band isn't a sport. I agree that it takes physical exertion and that its difficult and you compete and stuff but that doesn't make it a sport. Cheerleading isn't a sport either its just chicks doing stuff that takes physical exertion.

• Like 1

I wish it was like that at my school. Then I wouldn't have had to take P.E.

Yet you've said several times that cheerleading IS a sport, even though it serves the same purpose and requires a lot less work. Just look at this video of a college marching band performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MREKsMPUdcg[/media]

Still think it's not a sport?

That's no different than a Lady Gaga performance! Is what SHE does a sport? No! Just like this isn't a sport.

I'm referring to the marching aspect of it, which is why I said "Anyone who can play an instrument" can be in a marching band.

Okay, but to say it requires no skill whatsoever is a stupid statement. Your post sounds like "anyone can play an instrument".