• Advertisement

JCM's Fave 50

JCM

#38 - Krusty Love

"I'd rather go Dutch, if you don't mind."

202.png

Speaking of episodes that show us a side of Mr. Krabs that we don't get to see often, Krusty Love gave us a pretty good idea of what would happen if Krabs found something that he desired as much, if not more, than money. That something came in the form of a character we'd seen a couple of times before: Mrs. Puff (as for Mr. Puff, she doesn't like to talk about it). After playing a game of babble like an idiot with SpongeBob as his translator, Mr. Krabs manages to score a date with her, but after inadvertently showering her with expensive gifts, he gets a bad feeling in the pit of his wallet, and instead of making a choice that he really doesn't want to make, he appoints SpongeBob as his financial adviser, and as you can expect, it doesn't really work out too well for either of them. (Wow, that's a long sentence. :P) Basically, SpongeBob ends up cussing Mr. Krabs out, and Mrs. Puff returns the presents because she never really liked being spoiled in the first place.

This was Mrs. Puff's first major appearance outside of a boating school episode, and in my opinion, she's at her best here, as we get to see her not as a teacher but as a regular ol' blowfish. Though she's understandably cautious around SpongeBob, he doesn't take up the bulk of her attention for once, allowing for a lot more character development on her part and a stronger episode overall.

#37 - Mermaidman and Barnacleboy IV

"Wumbology, the study of wumbo? It's first grade, Spongebob!"

342.png

Ah, Mermaidman and Barnacleboy, arguably the greatest hexalogy of all time. This installment, like the one before it, focused less on our titular heroes and more on the hilarious antics of wannabe hero SpongeBob. In it, the happy sponge gets ahold of Mermaidman's utility belt which, among other things, can shrink stuff to the size of grapes. Recipe for disaster, am I correct? After Squidward catches SpongeBob having fun with the stolen device, SpongeBob shrinks him in desparation, and despite the tiny guy's pleas to go to Mermaidman about it, he refuses in fear of angering the senile old man and instead goes to someone smart and wise, with years of life experience: Patrick Star. Patrick steals the show, providing some well-needed laughs while SpongeBob tries to navigate his way out of the hole he dug for himself. Out of complete paranoia, he shrinks everybody in Bikini Bottom, then he makes his first good decision in the episode by shrinking himself and everything around him. By the end, it's like nothing changed at all! He should really return that belt, though.

This was an extremely funny episode with a touch of morbidity. The fact that I put it in my top two MM&BB episodes should tell you that I'm either crazy or know what I'm talking about. I personally hope it's the latter, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was the former. See you again tomorrow!

#36 - My Pretty Seahorse

"I don't want to be a burden."

292.png

So, this episode has SpongeBob adopting a stray seahorse, even though he learned in Jellyfish Jam that taking in wild animals is a very bad idea. Must be the show's lack of continuity. Anyway, SpongeBob and the seahorse, which he names Mystery, have a grand old time in a montage that lasts all of three seconds. Then, sleeping snug on his floor, he asks Mystery the question we'd ask anything we picked off the street an hour ago: "Do you think we'll be friends forever?" The answer, of course, is no, because they only have 11 minutes.

The next morning, SpongeBob rides his new pet to work, and after he leaves Mystery outside, she's discovered by Scooter and some other dude that never left the 1990s. They conclude that she's a kiddie ride, and Scooter decides to try her out by putting a quarter in her coin slot, but it turns out that that's no coin slot, and the kiddie ride ends up sending Scooter to a radical grave. Mr. Krabs realizes that animals killing potential customers is bad business, so he orders SpongeBob to get rid of Mystery. SpongeBob doesn't do that, of course, and the seahorse ends up eating all the Krabby Patties, a spatula, a stove, and Old Man Jenkins under SpongeBob's watch. Meanwhile, Squidward, who seems to have miraculously survived falling off a cliff and blowing up, tries to get away from a bowl of onions.

The storytelling in this episode was flawless, and I liked how it focused on SpongeBob's attachment to the seahorse. You can really tell that he loved the creature, and you can almost feel his pain when he lets it go. Almost.

#35 - SpongeBob Meets the Strangler

"I'm trying, but my cleats are stuck in your corneas!"

293.png

This was quite the episode. After SpongeBob catches a litterbug in the act, he does his civic duty and snitches on the fellow, but it turns out that the litterbug is also a psychopath who strangles people that tattle on him. (Someone didn't get enough love as a child.) After escaping from Bikini Bottom's finest, the litterbug vows to strangle SpongeBob by posing as a bodyguard offering protection against, well, him. Yeah. SpongeBob is eager to accept the services of this man he's never seen before, and he spends the rest of the episode not just annoying him, but torturing him. By the end, the tattletale strangler's just desperate to get away, and SpongeBob, still convinced that he's a bodyguard, chases him all the way to prison. After the strangler spells it out for him, he realizes that he had been smeckledorfed, and the episode ends with another cool closer courtesy of Patrick.

This was among the show's darker episodes, and to be frank, I'm surprised that it got past Nick's censors. That doesn't make it any less awesome, though, with one of the most hilariously violent gags of the entire series.

#34 - Rock-a-Bye Bivalve

"Ha ha! That guy got hit in the head with a coconut!"

305.png

In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick take on their toughest challenge yet: parenthood. After coming upon an abandoned scallop, they decide to raise the critter as their own, and while they do so, we get some cleverly-disguised commentary on the nature of marriage today (or in 2002, at least). Patrick nails the role of the neglectful father, as we all knew he would, since he can barely take care of himself. SpongeBob plays the overworked mother who, though happy to take care of the baby, really just wants a break. Speaking of breaks, how did he get the time off work necessary to rear a child for several days in a row? I doubt that Mr. Krabs would buy that he was on maternity leave, but that's another discussion for another day.

Overall, this episode was pretty great satire. It took the "Parents for a Day" trope and gave it its own SB spin. I don't know what became of Junior after that, but I'm certain that he hasn't forgotten his experiences with the duo and that he won't forget them anytime soon.

#33 - As Seen on TV

"The Krusty Krab! Come spend your money here!"

436.png

In this episode, SpongeBob (or rather, some of SpongeBob) makes a cameo in a so-bad-it's-good commercial for the Krusty Krab, and surprise surprise, he lets his three seconds on the boob tube go to his head. After getting mistaken for a cereal box, he starts to believe that he's a household name, and before long, we have him signing napkins out to people's tail fins and singing about the wonders of striped sweaters. SpongeBob was great in this episode, mocking the insecurity as well as the arrogance that so pervades our celebrity culture. Though he may not be the kind of entertainer that he thought the commercial made him, he entertains us on a weekly basis, and he doesn't even need to juggle Krabby Patties to do it.

#32 - Shanghaied

"No, no, wait, it was his mother you said was dirty, not his ship."

346.png

This is the only Flying Dutchman episode on the list, and boy, is it a doozy. When SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward climb onto the Dutchman's ship, they're forced into an eternity of servitude under him. Squidward gets dumped into a horrible vortex after mouthing off to his captor, and to prevent the same from happening to them, SpongeBob and Patrick try their best to please the ghost. Of course, their actions end up having the opposite effect, and the Flying Dutchman decides that it'll be much less of a hassle just to eat them. SpongeBob and Patrick aren't too fond of that plan, so they attempt to escape the ship through the *gulp* perfume department. That doesn't work, so they hold the Dutchman's sock hostage, and in exchange for his footwear, he promises to grant three of their wishes. The first wish makes the episode a minute longer, and the second one brings Squidward back. The outcome of the third wish depends on the version of the episode you're watching, but I can assure you that they all end poorly for our heroes.

This episode managed to stay funny despite a bloated running time, and that's not easy to do for the show, hence the fact that there are only two specials on this list. Also, this was the first episode in which the Flying Dutchman played a main role, and he shined bright, both figuratively and literally,

#31 - Fear of a Krabby Patty

"I'll always be with you right here." / "In my heart?" / "Actually, in your arteries."

324.png

This Season 4 episode felt more like a holdover from Season 3. It had non-stop hilarity, wacky visuals, and a creative storyline that didn't leave me bored for a second. It starts out with Mr. Krabs, upon seeing that the Chum Bucket is now open for 23 hours, staving off the nonexistent competition by opening his own restuarant for 24 hours. This excites SpongeBob to no end, and Plankton, noticing the excitement, sends out an anonymous order of 10,000 Krabby Patties to crush the yellow guy's spirit. It works, and SpongeBob ends up in the office of Dr. P Lankton in search of a cure to his hallucinations of killer sandwiches. Though Plankton tries to extract the formula from SpongeBob's fragile mind, the only thing he ends up getting is bruises from being smashed by heavy instruments. (Wait, how does SpongeBob pick up the piano so easily here when he can't even lift a straw in MuscleBob BuffPants? Must be the lack of continuity again.) As a last resort, Plankton hypnotizes SpongeBob, and under his hypnosis, he has a conversation with a talking burger that cures him of his paranoia. The end. Bring out the dancing lobsters.

Like I said at the beginning of the review, FOAKB had all the qualities of your average season three episode with about five times the randomness. This will always be known as the episode that started the "post-movie" era, but if the rest of the era followed this episode's example, we'd have much fewer people complaining about it, imo.

Join me again on Monday when I start on the next ten! Or don't join me and make all the children of the world cry. The choice is up to you.

• Like 1

Sorry for not doing this on Monday and Tuesday. I'll make up for it by doing three a day from now on.

#30 - New Student Starfish

"Hey, what'd I miss?"

237.png

In this episode, Patrick goes to boating school with SpongeBob, and unsurprisingly, the starfish turns out to be a horrible student. I like how the episode explored SpongeBob and Patrick's relationship by putting them in a setting where the differences in their personalities would really show. SpongeBob loves school, and he has 74 good noodle stars to show for it. Patrick couldn't care less about school, and he acts like your typical underachiever, drawing unflattering pictures of his teacher and shooting spitballs at the nerd in the back. When these personalities clash, they go from being friends to being enemies, and their differences culminate in what is probably the least exciting fight scene in history. Overall, it's a solid episode, and my only complaint is that Mrs. Puff wasn't as interesting here as she was in No Free Rides and Krusty Love. But, since she didn't play as big of a role in this episode, it didn't really affect the episode's ranking.

#29 - The Smoking Peanut

"SpongeBob doesn’t have hair… or does he?"

380.png

I've always been a fan of a good detective story. In fact, I wrote one myself not too long ago. But enough shameless plugging. This episode had everything that made Season 2 so exceptional in my eyes. Great plot, great humor, and great use of the characters. SpongeBob in particular was brilliant in this episode, which is important because it revolved mostly around his guilt and fear after causing a citywide disturbance. Then, of course, there's Patrick, who plays a Sherlock Holmes with a familiar-looking yellow popsicle in place of a pipe. Both of these characters make the episode for me, and as they take the fruits (or nuts) of the town's hatred in stride near the end of it, I keep thinking that the series just can't get better from there, but as we all know, it does. Oh boy, it does.

#28 - Dying for Pie

"GARY! YOU ARE GONNA FINISH YOUR DESSERT AND YOU ARE GONNA LIKE IT!"

280.png

The thing I love most about the relationship between SpongeBob and Squidward is that there are so many places you can take it. In this episode, Mr. Krabs forces Squidward to get SpongeBob a present for Employee Brotherhood Day. Squidward, who never liked being an employee or a brother, decides to buy him a pie from a group of pirates and call it a day. Unfortunately, it turns out that the pie is actually a bomb, and when it seems like SpongeBob ate the pastry of mass destruction, a remorseful Squidward tries to make it up to him by ensuring that his last moments are the best he's ever had. This episode was both heartwarming and hilarious, and it showed that despite his abrasive personality, Squidward really does have a kind and caring soul.

• Like 1

I'll just post this for now. The other two will come later tonight.

#27 - Sing a Song of Patrick

"Those X-Ray specs I ordered couldn't see through people's skin at all...only their clothes."

171.png

I know this one seems like it came out of left field, but just bear with me. I stopped watching SpongeBob regularly near the end of Season 4, not because of the drop in quality, but because I simply lost interest in the series. During my hiatus, I missed what I consider to be just one of the funniest episodes of post-movie SpongeBob, hands down. It starts off relatively slow with a scene at the comic book store (notable highlights are the quote used above and the cameo by that nerd from No Weenies Allowed). Patrick goes to SpongeBob's house to write the poem, and while doing so, he uses his brain for the first time in centuries. Despite this, the poem turns out horribly, and when he sends it to musicians to make into a song, it kills them. No, it literally kills them. This kind of dark humor is something I'd expect from Season 3, and it came as a bit of a shock when I first saw this episode, but once I got over it, I was hitting the floor laughing, and the episode only got better from there. They listen to the song itself, and holy crap, is it bad. But it's a hilarious bad. SpongeBob and Patrick decide that all of Bikini Bottom need to listen to the song, and the reactions of citizens when they listen to it on the radio or in the air are priceless. This episode was pure gold, and coming from a season that's among the show's worst, it was a pleasant surprise.

#26 - The Algae's Always Greener

"Goodbye everyone, I'll remember you all in therapy."

212.png

This was the first episode of Season 3, and it was also the first episode to really develop Plankton as a character. Before now, he was nothing but your run-of-the-mill bad guy, who only desired the Krabby Patty secret formula and the power it would bring him. There were some glimpses of Plankton's soft side in the Season 1 episode F.U.N., but it didn't go nearly as deep into his psyche as this episode did. It starts out with Plankton failing at yet another burger-swiping scheme, and after getting flicked home, he despairs about how he can't live the life of luxury that Mr. Krabs does. Karen points to a contraption that would let him do just that (how convenient!), and when Plankton uses it, it sends him to an alternate universe where he runs the Krusty Krab. Though things could have very well been peachy keen after that, it wouldn't have made for very good television, so we get an extra-annoying SpongeBob and an extra-bratty Pearl to push Plankton's buttons during his experiment. Then, of course, there's naked Krabs, whose goal in life is to steal a Krabby Patty and ruin the restaurant (sound familiar?). All of this drives Plankton over the edge, and he buzzers out of the crazy dimension with what is probably his best line in the entire series.

The episode was the best start to any season of SpongeBob, with a creative plot, memorable characters, and an energy that can leave one breathless.

#25 - Big Pink Loser

"I'm not a Krusty Krab."

474.png

Patrick Star has always been my favorite character on the show, as his simplistic view of the world around him makes him funny and endearing. In this particular episode, Patrick starts to develop an inferiority complex when he sees that SpongeBob has hundreds of awards in his collection (for what, exactly? I have no idea) while he has none. SpongeBob tells Patrick that he has to, well, do something in order to win an award, and to give him a head start in his quest for notoriety, he signs Patrick up for a job at the Krusty Krab. Patrick turns out to be an even worse employee than Squidward, and he doesn't get his first major breakthrough until SpongeBob teaches him how to open a jar by doing "exactly what I do". Unfortunately, Patrick begins to apply that philosophy to everything he does, from the way he walks to the clothes he wear, and it annoys SpongeBob to no end. Then, in an ironic turn of events, Patrick finally does win an award "for doing nothing longer than anyone else", invalidating SpongeBob's original claim and returning the series to its wonderful status quo.

This is one of the better Patrick-centered episodes, as it has him being an idiot without going overboard or dwelling into jerk territory. There are way fewer of these episodes in the top 25 than I had originally thought there'd be (in fact, this might be the only one). I guess I like Patrick better in a secondary role, as we still get to delight in his stupidity without it taking up the entire episode and just getting tiresome.