• Advertisement

Pokemon (anime)

dragiiin123

So I haven't been a regular viewer of the anime since Season 8 (Advanced Battle), ever since then, I tune once in a while. Enough to know what Pokemon Ash has, who he is traveling with, etc.

I finally tuned into an episode of Black and White...my oh my did something bother me.

For someone who has been a Pokemon master for the past 15 years, offered a position as a Frontier Brain, made it far in regional Pokemon leagues. and all these other accomplishments, what he did in one of the first episodes of Season 14 was unexceptionable. How the hell did he forget how to catch a Pokemon? The lack of logic behind Ash forgetting is just frustrating me. I'm sorry, but he is someone who wants to be a Pokemon master for over a decade. Does Ken Sugimori think we need to start viewing this show with a lack of logic over the previous installments?

To be fair, Pokemon recycles itself. Each saga is more or less 4 years long, which is enough time to sell the current generation to the current demographic, and then move on to a new one. When a new generation comes out, it mimics the fanbase; a new "generation" is coming into the show because the previous one outgrew it (just an assumption; when the key 8 year old demographic all become 12 year olds, I'm guessing the writers think they're "too old" for the show and begin to focus on the current 8 year olds), and that's what they're being introduced to. The children the show is aimed at don't know (or shouldn't know, anyway) that Ash has been on all these journeys and got all these Pokemon and has all these friends (aside from the little throwbacks; first few seconds of Best Wishes being a good example, or when he brings out his reserves), they just know he's a kid who's a Pokemon trainer. It's frustrating for the older fans that Ash can sometimes forget how to catch a Pokemon or forget type advantage/disadvantage (though he seems really smart in that regard this saga, barring a couple slip-ups) or that he can go into a Gym battle with an off-the-wall strategy and not know it won't work (Nimbasa being a good example, since he literally went in with just Palpitoad and hoped to sweep), but that's what we get for actually bothering to follow the show or watch the occasional episode. You also can't forget that the anime is just a four-year long advert for the game that promotes it 30 minutes at a time, so it's not like it's One Piece-level plot or How I Met Your Mother-level continuity going on.

That being said, Pikachu whining and begging and forcing Ash to use him against Elesa was ridiculous.

Oh, and Ken Sugimori is just the producer; he's not responsible for what's happening anymore than Satoshi or Junichi are. :P

Pikachu is seriously the most overrated (yes I used the "o word") Pokemon. I blame the anime. For example, Pikachu can't beat rock type Pokemon, yet he always comes out victorious.

I agree with Drag. Imagine how much better the show would be if it had strong continuity.

Pikachu is seriously the most overrated (yes I used the "o word") Pokemon. I blame the anime. For example, Pikachu can't beat rock type Pokemon, yet he always comes out victorious.

I agree with Drag. Imagine how much better the show would be if it had strong continuity.

Rock types aren't resistant to Electric types. ;P

Rock types aren't resistant to Electric types. ;P
I should have been more specific there. ;P

What I meant to say was that in the original 150 and the first couple seasons (which were the worst offenders of this), I specifically remember Pikachu beating types of Pokemon that his electric attacks were not allowed to have any effect on like Golem, Rhydon, Sandshrew, etc. Yes, Sandshrew is not a rock type, but Pikachu can't defeat it with electric attacks.

At least in the latter seasons, Pikachu wasn't as super invincible as he was made out to be.

I should have been more specific there. ;P

What I meant to say was that in the original 150 and the first couple seasons (which were the worst offenders of this), I specifically remember Pikachu beating types of Pokemon that his electric attacks were not allowed to have any effect on like Golem, Rhydon, Sandshrew, etc. Yes, Sandshrew is not a rock type, but Pikachu can't defeat it with electric attacks.

At least in the latter seasons, Pikachu wasn't as super invincible as he was made out to be.

Pikachu must have been like "screw the type chart, I'm Pikachu!" when it came to some of the ground types.

Sorry for the double post-bump, but...

Has anybody seen this and is just as excited as I am?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lyi2RSVxqg&feature=player_embedded

Oh yeah, I should've posted that here instead of the video game thread.

Yeah, I'm super excites. It's allegedly just a one-off special, but it'll still be great.

So Hayden had me watching the first two episodes of Pokemon XY and I have to say that I've been impressed by them far more than I have been with the Pokemon anime in quite some time. I didn't enjoy Sinnoh or Unova so hopefully Ash's Kalos adventures are more memorable.

• Happy 1

So Hayden had me watching the first two episodes of Pokemon XY and I have to say that I've been impressed by them far more than I have been with the Pokemon anime in quite some time. I didn't enjoy Sinnoh or Unova so hopefully Ash's Kalos adventures are more memorable.

Unova I get because it was garbage, but what didn't you enjoy about Sinnoh?

Unova I get because it was garbage, but what didn't you enjoy about Sinnoh?

Brock's character finally overstayed his welcome and became an absolute nuisance while Dawn had absolutely no personality whatsoever and just bored me. Ash wasn't too bad though in Sinnoh, but he downgraded massively in Unova. I still couldn't believe he forgot how to catch a Pokemon.

Pokemon....now on Disney XD.

The fact that this network now has the broadcasting rights to the Pokemon anime actually surprises me. I do like DXD, but now they have acquired another big name series from Japan since Doraemon and Yo-Kai Watch and I can only wonder how long this will last or if it will pan very well, because DXD has a moderately lower viewership compared to DC and CN. I mean, at least the broadcasting rights weren't given to Nickelodeon or Nicktoons, because I have a feeling it wouldn't last so long if they did get the rights.