• Advertisement

The Age of SpongeBob Fans

Karen

I've been a fan of SpongeBob since the beginning. I remember the day it premiered.. It was the day I got my plastic rocking chair. I was 5 years old. hilaryfan80 and I were scooting these things down the hallway and all throughout the house across the then-carpeted floor. We had watched the Kids Choice Awards 1999 with our Dad and were rocking these chairs back to our rooms. At this point in time, my room had a TV in it, so I started watching the SpongeBob premiere that came afterward. I instantly fell in love with the cartoon.

Now, nearly 12 years later, I've come to realize that most SpongeBob fans are nearing the 20s (or already there!) It seems like yesterday that shows like Double Dare 2000 and Slime Time Live dominated Nickelodeon - where did the time go? Even Tom Kenny took notice of how much SpongeBob has been around. 305752.gif

I'm 17 and I've been a SpongeBob fan since I was 6 years old. I'll never forget that day I was flipping through the channels and saw that cartoon sponge turn into a skyscraper and making millions of himself.

Guest hilaryfan80

I remember the days when people asked me, "What's SpongeBob?" Now you have to live under a rock to not know. Unfortunately, children these days are still affected by him today in grocery stores -- if they see the sponge, they want it instantly. There was a study about a year ago explaining about how popular characters on products makes children instantly want it. It's crazy.

I've been watching SpongeBob ever since age 6, but I think I truly became a fan when my parents bought me the Season 2 box set at age 9. I think it really fills all generations, because it's innocent enough for kids and clever enough for teenagers/adults.

But no one even knew about SB, besides people working on the show, before that. D:

I doubt that's true. We know about pilots that are currently in progress right now. 893573.gif

I'm literally as old as Spongebob. 428899.gif I was born May 1, 1999, the day the public first saw Spongebob. =D
Holy crap, that is bizarre. At what age did you start becoming a fan, or have you been watching it as long as you can remember?

We got it in Latin America a bit later, I think i first saw it in late 2000 or 2001, I must have been around 11 then...I think Squeaky Boots or Bubblestand where the first eppies I saw, they still bring back that "ahhh, when I used to watch SB in Spanish!" feeling 428899.gif

Holy crap, that is bizarre. At what age did you start becoming a fan, or have you been watching it as long as you can remember?

Um... at a young age. As a toddler I would watch it. I loved TV. xD I ended up watching the planes crash into the twin towers on 9/11/01 when a news station came on when I turned the TV on and I didn't know which channel or how to switch it.

I honestly am not certain exactly when I started watching it. The only thing I remember is that when I first saw previews for the show, I thought it was wierd and I would hate it. Then I watched an episode, and my expectations were blown out of the water!

It could have been 1999, but I'm almost certain it was 2000 or 2001.