• Advertisement

How SpongeBob can be repaired!

Mikurotoro92

Right now SBSP is a broken show but I have some ideas on how to fix it

(since cancellation is out of the question at least this period in time)

If SpongeBob absolutely HAS to keep going here's how I'd give it new life:

-Removal of Sandy, Pearl, or Squidward

-Mr. Krabs is less money-obsessed

-Plankton stops pursuing the secret formula

-SpongeBob finally gets his boating license

-No more suicide jokes

-Secret formula reveal

-Ceasing of most squid abuse

(if Squidward isn't removed)

-Location variation

-Introduction of new recurring characters

-Unique episode types

All of this needed to happen after Sponge out of Water but the only major change made was the show got darker

One of the BIGGEST problems with SpongeBob is it has stuck with the same characters at the cost of originality

Say what you want about The Fairly OddParents however you can't deny Chloe has given it a new dynamic

The same needs to happen with SpongeBob or people will lose interest!

Do you think SpongeBob would benefit from removing Sandy, Pearl, or Squidward?

No Sandy means no Texas, karate, or science plots

No Pearl means no mall, bratty teenager, or "I hate my dad" plots

No Squidward means no art, clarinet, or annoyed by SpongeBob & Patrick plots

In their place would be 3 new characters who can bring life to this lifeless show

I really believe new character additions could help things out

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1
  • God Himself 1

You are absolutely correct. Especially that part about taking away Mr. Krabs and Plankton's core traits but not removing them. That will automatically give them depth.

I think if we give Spongebob and Patrick their own baby, underwater talking dog, and perfectionist neighbor we will have a show worth a damn again.

We won't need that stupid pufferfish either if Spongebob has a license. Removing established nearly 20 year old main figures from the series will not lead to an ounce of possible backlash.

Now is your last chance to leave a legacy, Spongebob. All you have to do is destroy everything that's working for you in the ratings until you're unrecognizable.

• Thanks 5

Guest hilaryfan80

I don't think any of the characters need to be removed from the show, but changing their jokes around would definitely help. It's not good to remove characters from a show when there's almost 20 years invested in them. That's just not going to fly.

I have a problem with the idea of introducing a new character. Starting with...

5 hours ago, Mikurotoro92 said:

Say what you want about The Fairly OddParents however you can't deny Chloe has given it a new dynamic

While adding Chloe did add a new dynamic into The Fairly OddParents in season 10, the ratings for the show drastically dropped. Chloe's season marked what is possibly the final season of FOP because of messing around with the show's dynamics (of course, there's other reasons too). When you have so many years invested into certain characters, I'm not sure if messing with the dynamics is something that needs to be done. Take The Simpsons for example: they've managed to last as long as they have without messing with main characters.

At this point, I don't think there's much that can be done to the show. Stephen Hillenburg recently rejoined the crew in the making of new episodes, so there's hopes that the episodes will become better. What I have noticed with the show is that its humor is adapting to the humor of the current young generation. For most of us on SBC, this would mean humor that isn't necessarily funny for us but humor that entertains today's children. The animation style has also changed to today's animation standards.

What I have noticed is that SpongeBob SquarePants has been adding a lot of minor or one-time characters into the show, and it seems to be working. I know SBC was obsessed with the introduction of Norton (his name anyways) and Scott back in 2015. These are just examples.

What I would love to see in the show is more character development episodes. Perhaps have some episodes like what Mr. Puff was like, or an episode like "Larry's Vacation." I would personally like to see more development with Squilliam. I think he's such an underrated character.

lol Chole didn't give the a show a whole new direction. It's basically same stuff we've seen in previous seasons. At least SpongeBob cares for its main and supporting cast. FOP uses same ass characters with a brand new character that is poorly written. Why not develop some other supporting characters or make Cosmo less dumb and Wanda less naggy about Cosmo? FOP can not feel new with adding a brand new character.

Removing the main characters from SpongeBob is a big bad idea, considering how much we were so invested in them and we laughed at their jokes. Whenever a main character gets written off with no greater purpose to the story, people will hate the fuck out of that show (Arrow and The Walking Dead being the best examples). I don't mind occasional focus on the secret formula or Mr. Krabs' money obsession as long as they feel creative but you can still do different stuff with them and I'd totally love it. I find new era of SpongeBob to be inconsistent but when they hit, they create something unique and charming. Episodes like Feral Friends, Mimic Madness, Larry's Gym, Mall Girl Pearl, The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom, Squid Noir, What's Eating Patrick and Teacher's Pests are the best examples of how to create a brand new story orhow focus on characters' other traits or characters that barely get attention. So I don't think the show lost its charm and even the bad episodes aren't that bad to me, compared to badness in season 5-9A. Also suicide jokes? Really? They used those jokes in one episode that was aired 6 years ago and they haven't made one since. Time to let go the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

do you happen to be rugrats1, he used to make these types of topics all the time

if not, here's how I'd repair SpongeBob:

- have some more dialogue humor! this show lacks that a lot now and just goes for visual gags. Those get tiring after awhile. A good cartoon should have a variety of gags, IMO.

- make the characters not act like they're on steroids all the time

Edited by President Squidward
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

If a main character MUST be taken away it should be Pearl

She can easily be removed without affecting the show!

They can say she left Bikini Bottom to go to college

Also something else that would help is more underutilized character interactions

How about Larry & Plankton, Mrs. Puff & Plankton, Larry & Squidward, Squidward & Sandy, Larry & Patrick, etc?

We've seen how some of them work, namely Larry & Squidward (Squid plus One) and Squidward & Sandy (Sponge out of Water, Feral Friends, Squidtastic Voyage, Sportz, Frozen Face-off, etc)

Wait...Mrs. Puff & Plankton already happened

I can't think of much character combinations that haven't happened yet

Edited by Mikurotoro92
  • Sad 1

Guest hilaryfan80

@Mikurotoro92, I don't see a point of removing Pearl. If she's that annoying, just don't make any new episodes with her like they did with Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy. There's no need to write her off.

I would honestly like to see an episode about Scott. #ScottIsBetterThanNorton #2015Memes (smirk)

Cancelling it. There's been a concentrated effort over the past three years to mend the series, but truth of the matter is that entropy simply cannot be reversed without substantial overhaul, and considering how entrenched the franchise has become in its twenty year routine, it would be tantamount to sabotage (alienating fans and younger viewers, and sullying the marketability of the brand)...which is reiterating hilaryfan80's argument about the dynamic of the series. The seven main characters have become too iconic to be meddled with. In addition, because everything after the first film skulks beneath the shadow of the first three seasons, courting older disillusioned viewers is a quixotic endeavor that will never succeed. Evidently, nothing will simulate the pre-movie charm, a product of a bygone age. So there's only a sole recourse.

The peak of the series have already been trodden, anything more would contribute to the saturation that the show suffers (if not degeneration).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sneed's Feed and Seed said:

Cancelling it. There's been a concentrated effort over the past three years to mend the series, but truth of the matter is that entropy simply cannot be reversed without substantial overhaul, and considering how entrenched the franchise has become in its twenty year routine, it would be tantamount to sabotage (alienating fans and younger viewers, and sullying the marketability of the brand)...which is reiterating hilaryfan80's argument about the dynamic of the series. The seven main characters have become too iconic to be meddled with. In addition, because everything after the first film skulks beneath the shadow of the first three seasons, courting older disillusioned viewers is a quixotic endeavor that will never succeed. Evidently, nothing will simulate the pre-movie charm, a product of a bygone age. So there's only a sole recourse.

The peak of the series have already been trodden, anything more would contribute to the saturation that the show suffers (if not degeneration).

37 minutes ago, Sneed's Feed and Seed said:

I must articulate, speaking as a member of the minority who does not desire for the beloved and prevalent children's television presentation cartoon, known as SpongeBob SquarePants, to cease further production at any time it could be determined. The words that you have expressed in your sophisticated monologue does not connect with my own inner thoughts on the state of SpongeBob's standards of audience contentment. However, your heterogeneous vocabulary has moved many a generation, as it has motivated an individual such as myself. So, I treat your reflective communique with the utmost respect.