• Advertisement

A Series of Unfortunate Events (TV series)

Katniss

I loved reading the books and the movie when I was younger, and this looks like it's going to fulfill my inner grade schooler XP. Seriously, this looks great and NPH does a pretty good Count Olaf, from what the trailer shows anyway.

Edited by illiniguy34
  • Like 1

As much as I love NPH, I'm not sure if I totally feel him as Count Olaf.  From that trailer, he didn't feel as menacing as I expect from the character.  But I am still willing to give this a shot because Netflix has been hitting it out of the park for the most part in terms of their programming.

oh hell yes, I saw the movie several years ago but I'm really enjoying this series. so far hilaryfan80 and I have gotten past the Monty arc.

it's so fun to watch, especially with some of the familiar actors. even though iirc liking the other count olaf from the movie more, neil patrick (and the other patrick :funny: ) really does his best with doing his performance, never trust him with a knife. 

Edited by Cha♡

Yeah I thought Jim Carrey was a better Count Olaf but NPH did a pretty good job and it's always a delight to see Patrick Warburton on my television screen breaking the fourth wall in often hilarious fashion.

As for the first season itself, I thought it was great. Definitely a more faithful adaptation to the book series than the movie was and with all of the other stories that haven't been adapted yet, I will definitely be tuning in for the second season.

• Like 1

Honestly really bummed out and disappointed. I loved the books so much, and I wanted to love this so much, and I just can't get into it. I don't think I made it past the second episode. I thought the style that they decided to go for was really all wrong and it just consistently took me out of the show. Lemony Snicket is already there to break the fourth wall and intermittently break the immersion - I didn't think it was necessary to be constantly beaten over the head with the "THIS IS A STORY" motif by having the style of the show be like a stage play/picture book. I thought NPH was surprisingly terrible as well - it felt like he was playing Barney from HIMYM doing a play from his Playbook called "The Count Olaf" rather than him actually being Count Olaf. Patrick Warburton was fine, I guess, like he didn't do anything wrong in the episodes I saw, but he's not exactly what I picture when I think of Lemony Snicket, so that was just kinda weird because they basically nailed the look for everyone but him (but I guess since he's never physically described in the book [to my knowledge] they had the freedom to do whatever, I just personally pictured him as more slender, less good-looking, a bit younger, and with a much less commanding voice).

Might give it another try later on, but... eh. No real desire to, unfortunately.

Okay I like Neil Patrick's Count Olaf more now. Although I didn't rewatch the movie to confirm this, I did rewatched several clips of it and got the gist. Neil Patrick's is much more grim and you can take him seriously. Jim Carrey's while it's in his line of work, I feel like he doesn't have that part of the character down as well. When Neil gets serious you can really feel it. Plus his Stephano costume and voice is fuckin' bomb, I love it. I loved all his disguises so far.

But to be far, Jim's Olaf improv acting in front of the troupe was pretty fun to watch.

Spoiler

I finished the season and holy crap that twist about the parents not being actually theirs.  I'm guessing it might be something in order keep a low profile about their actual children, the Baudelaires. (man I love that last time, rolls off the tongue when people say it) Please if you've read the books, please don't tell me how it continues. I'm trying my best to be spoiler free now.

They left off on a really well note, can't wait for future episodes. No seriously, I don't think I have it in me to wait.

also tf up with Mr. Poe's brain