• Advertisement

Nintendo to enter film production

Jane

http://nintendoeverything.com/kimishima-comments-on-nintendo-movies-mobile-nx/

Their first film will be released in 2-3 years.

According to the article, they are in the process of making partnerships with Hollywood studios, Disney and Pixar are specifically mentioned. Kimishima said they are looking to make a film based off of a "popular and beloved IP," and that if they make a Super Mario movie it will be animated rather than live-action. He said that they "already tried making a live-action Mario movie, so we likely won't try that again." Miyamoto is also involved and they'd like to have a hand in production rather than licensing out IP.

The NX is also mentioned but they're still overtly vague about it.

Edited by Teamwork

I'm ok with this idea as long as they make a movie about an ip that could potentially make them money. I'd totally be up for a Metroid movie since that franchise has a movie feel to it, but knowing Nintendo they would probably go for a Zelda movie or perhaps a Star Fox one. Who knows what they have in mind with this project, we'll have to wait and see.

6 hours ago, crushingmayhem said:

I'm ok with this idea as long as they make a movie about an ip that could potentially make them money. I'd totally be up for a Metroid movie since that franchise has a movie feel to it, but knowing Nintendo they would probably go for a Zelda movie or perhaps a Star Fox one. Who knows what they have in mind with this project, we'll have to wait and see.

Well you're not too far off. http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/24/nintendo-ceo-iwata-netflix-legend-of-zelda-series

Although the possibility seems slim, they did at least consider a series based on the IP.

My assumption is this will be like how Rovio is handling the Angry Birds movie. They'll open a studio in Cali for pre-production (scripting, storyboarding, color scripting, rigging, modeling, voice over) and they'll have Sony do the animation and distribute it and maybe help finance the film. I'd assume Sony because of that leaked email years ago about a Mario movie. I'd also assume they'll have staff from Nintendo collaborate back and forth on the film's production like Insomniac did on the Ratchet movie. 

I'm actually curious to see how Ninty will intergrate this with gaming. I know the director of Zelda said they'd only do a Zelda movie if they could involve a 3DS somehow.