• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2016 Edition

Jjs Goodman

Trenchbillies - BORING

Pet Sitter Pat, this was on my list but not too high. I like SpongeBob in it but Patrick really made this episode bad. I don't think he was being a jerk but rather being a complete idiot. Still he was obnoxious.

- TOS is like Atlantis Squarepantis in that a lot of potential wasted and the weird Patchy subplot was just really odd and out there.

- Whatever Happened to SpongeBob is just lame in a lot of ways.

- Trenchbillies is awkward to the point where it doesn't even feel like an SB episode.

- Pet Sitter Pat is just mediocre. Not terrible, it just isn't very good either. At least it's not a Pal for Gary I guess.

23 minutes ago, More said:

As a serious question, why have I been commenting on literally every post for the last two pages? Is anyone else gonna volunteer?

Just because that nobody else does it, does it mean that you have to.

• Like 1

Truth or Square - Take what I said about Atlantis Squarepantis and add that the plot of this special is way too short. Jjs already pointed out that this special is far too filler-reliant...when it shouldn't be because the plot leaves room for a lot of story. I feel the decent humor blinded me from the fact that almost the entire episode is filler. Think about it, if the flashbacks amount to nothing and you can cut them all out along with the Patchy segments and all the other filler scenes...you have a special that's about seven to ten minutes long. 

Whatever Happened to Spongebob? - You know, while I still don't dislike this as much as Jjs does, his analysis inspired me to really look into this episode more and find out more about why it was such a letdown. And so, I'll add my own points of criticism...

1. This special did nothing to get us to care about New Kelp City.

2. The conflict in New Kelp City was ungodly lame (Bubbles...Bubble Popping Boys...no, no NC reference. Just shoot me).

3. Squidward (who was unbearably flanderized here), even with how overjoyed he was that Spongebob was gone...agreed to get him back...for an egg. LAME.

4. Even though Jjs mentioned the horrible ending, I'll give my own details about its horribleness. The New Kelp City people blaming Spongebob made no sense, it made Spongebob look like a selfish and cowardly you-know-what, and *gasp* Spongebob's amnesia is cured by him getting hit on the head again?! I'VE NEVER SEEN THAT HAPPEN BEFORE EVEN THOUGH THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS IN EVERY OTHER SHOW.

Overall, it's not miles and bounds worse than Atlantis Squarepantis and Truth or Square to me, but good gosh, I was way too easy on it back in the day.

Pet Sitter Pat - You-know-who actually considers his original review of this to be his worst, but that's another story. Anyways, I always just saw this one as eh.

Trenchbillies - Again, eh. It's as eh as every other Legends of Bikini Bottom episode.

• Like 2

I didn't even know about Pet Sitter Pat until I watched it because it appeared on the Bottom 50 last year.  It just absolutely pushed my tolerance for Patrick's stupidity into such extreme amounts of disgust.  One of the worst instances of playing up Patrick is a moron for laughs.  Watching Patrick use a flamethrower on Gary is seriously one of the most irredeemable scenes from a SpongeBob episode I've ever sat through right up there with watching the town attack Ick infected SpongeBob, Plankton crying after weeks of torture from Mr. Krabs, and SpongeBob telling Gary to put Puffy Fluffy down.  Where as A Pal for Gary, I found at least a minute or two's worth of things to like about it to save it from being on my Bottom 25 (yeah A Pal For Gary didn't make it, but it's still bad, I'm not disagreeing with that).  This?  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing redeemable.  Not even a guest spot from Grandma SquarePants.  Just a terrible waste of my time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Clappy said:

I didn't even know about Pet Sitter Pat until I watched it because it appeared on the Bottom 50 last year.  It just absolutely pushed my tolerance for Patrick's stupidity into such extreme amounts of disgust.  One of the worst instances of playing up Patrick is a moron for laughs.  Watching Patrick use a flamethrower on Gary is seriously one of the most irredeemable scenes from a SpongeBob episode I've ever sat through right up there with watching the town attack Ick infected SpongeBob, Plankton crying after weeks of torture from Mr. Krabs, and SpongeBob telling Gary to put Puffy Fluffy down.  Where as A Pal for Gary, I found at least a minute or two's worth of things to like about it to save it from being on my Bottom 25 (yeah A Pal For Gary didn't make it, but it's still bad, I'm not disagreeing with that).  This?  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing redeemable.  Not even a guest spot from Grandma SquarePants.  Just a terrible waste of my time.

Well, SpongeBob was in his character, I'll give it that and A Pal for Gary didn't have that. Still it sucks.

Two more ties, but after these, only one tie remains on the list. After this, we're down to the Bottom 20. At this point, I'd say I'd be upping the commentary, but since nobody still wants to make it so we have 2 commentators per episode, upping it to 3 is probably pointless, so it'll still be 2 commentators for now...that is if multiple people really want to do commentate, which has yet to happen. :P

24 (1) / 23. Demolition Doofus

BICTMeI.jpg?1 

101 points. 8 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #1 - @Cha )

SpongeBob goes to boating school and then continues to crash into two cars, inflating Mrs. Puff every time he continues to crash into an obstacle. Mrs. Puff then inflates so much, she sends the car airborne. SpongeBob then crashes the car into the lighthouse of the boating school, injuring Mrs. Puff. In the hospital, Doctor Forrest clarifies that Mrs. Puff's inflation sac was popped in the collision and she will not be able to "puff" again. Mrs. Puff has to be tranquilized after she leaps on to SpongeBob and man-handling his nose. SpongeBob then begins to ramble and the doctor tranquilizes him as well. SpongeBob then visits Mrs. Puff with a bouquet of flowers along with the hundreds of other flowers he sent her, which she appears to be allergic to. After forcing her into a wheelchair, he pushes her down the hallway. Doctors are seen sprinting through the hallway with muscular men on the gurneys. SpongeBob stops the Purple Doctorfish and asked what was going on. He replies the Demolition Derby members are about to battle in the hospital room. It appears that they are hitting each other with wheelchairs. Mrs. Puff imagines them smashing into SpongeBob and killing him. Her laughing attracts SpongeBob's attention, and she claims she has a way for him to earn "extra credit." After talking to Captain Lutefisk, she shows him how much damage SpongeBob can do with a boat, though he is just using a steering wheel. Lutefisk says he is perfect for the derby. At the derby, Mrs. Puff is enraged at how SpongeBob is defeating the competitors only by serendipity. She then grabs a tractor and starts to chase after SpongeBob, trying to smash him. They then collide into the boating school, where Mrs. Puff regains her "puff," before they get crushed by the school.

Jjs: I don't know. This episode...is tough. On one hand, I don't hate it. I still can't. There's some decent gags, and like it or not, it is a different, darker, type of episode, despite mixed results, so an attempt at something different was there, which I can appreciate. On the other hand, if you're not a fan of OOC-ness, then this isn't for you. Personally though, I sort of phase Mrs. Puff's actions only in this episode out, even if they might be insane, in favor of how many times she's had to deal with SpongeBob's antics in episodes like Summer Job (as I alluded to in my comment of it). Outright trying to murder him however...probably isn't sane, but I could see years of frustration building up (yeah yeah no continuity in SB whatever I'm just going with my own headcanon). I also liked the demolition derby itself, which I thought flowed nicely and was well animated. As a race-car guy, I guess that tickled my fancy a bit. That being said, I totally get why it is hated and why it is here. It just doesn't bug me, but I guess I intentionally just try to take out the faults and enjoy it as a mindless (yet duly noted) flawed episode with a cool demolition derby, but I know others won't do the same. That being said, I invited the #1-er herself for this episode, Cha, to share her thoughts.

Cha: I still can't get over that Mrs. Puff tried to kill SpongeBob. I get when everyone says she deserved to snap after what he's done all these years and especially de-puffing her for what could have been permanently. Both sides from SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff were pretty dark stuff but I still can't excuse the latter character. Honestly, how can I identify with an episode when both sides are kinda depression filled? If she tried to get SB in jail for the rest of his life, then that would be different. She just acted on pure impulse. 

24 (2) / 23. Big Sister Sam

R3ZPzky.jpg?1 

101 points. 8 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #4 - @Lana Loud )

The episode opens with SpongeBob and Gary sleeping. Patrick is cleaning his rock with a mop then wakes them up. SpongeBob asks him why he is doing it and he responds by saying his sister Sam Star, is coming. Patrick also reveals that they were lost in the surf when they were only kids. Squidward screams angrily and demands for peace and quiet, but Sam then arrives in a bus, and punches the door down. She is revealed to be a huge starfish. Sam hugs and almost suffocates Patrick. Patrick introduces SpongeBob to Sam and Sam, mistaking SpongeBob to be a danger, protects Patrick by throwing SpongeBob. Patrick suggests that they go inside to "play," but Sam explains how the house is too small. Sam then takes a briefcase filled with sand and constructs a new house, made of sand. Patrick thanks her. However, Squidward complains that his house is filled with sand. Again, Sam feels overprotective and moves Squidward's house with only her bare hands. Squidward makes jokes about Sam saying, how she is bigger, and dumber than Patrick. Sam responds by getting angry and then starting to cry because she already knows it is all true. Her giant tears throw both Squidward and SpongeBob.

After that, Patrick becomes overprotective of Sam by saying that SpongeBob and Squidward are "meanies" and saying that they should blecorate (decorate) the rock. However, she uses parts of Squidward's house to decorate it, damaging it greatly. Then Squidward gets angry and calls her a thief. Then SpongeBob tries to talk some sense into Patrick, but Patrick does not care that Sam deliberately dismantled Squidward's house. Then he starts crying, thinking SpongeBob has become a traitor, and gets head-butted by Sam along with Squidward back to their houses, damaging his house further. Squidward gets angry and drops a rock on the house, ruining the "spiffy". In response, Sam and Patrick come out of the house and Sam chews up the loose parts and spits them at Squidward's house, completely destroying it. In a last act of retaliation, Squidward then drives a bulldozer at Patrick, Sam, and the house, making Patrick and Sam realize that Squidward is literally going to kill them. SpongeBob tries to stop him but to no avail. Sam, who throws the bulldozer at SpongeBob's house, stops Squidward (whom suddenly disappears for the rest of the episode). After that, SpongeBob finally becomes upset at the destruction of his house, making Patrick finally see what SpongeBob means. Patrick tries to tell her to control her temper, but she gets very angry and destroys her own home while Patrick sacrifices himself to save the house. Patrick lays there unconscious but SpongeBob successfully wakes him up by using cookie dough. Sam feels very guilty and explains that she must leave (She is late for a manicure and shows them her nails). As Sam leaves on the bus, SpongeBob and Patrick laugh about their experience with Patrick's sister.

Jjs: Oh boy, this episode. As someone who had this on their list for two years in a row now, this year at #6 (with it being a spot lower last year), I was glad to see this one getting more dislike this year. This really seems to be an overlooked episode in badness. I can see why people flat out don't care about it, but man, does this episode annoy me. The "humor" in this episode (and using the term "humor" is being very generous in and of itself) is nonexistent. It's just based on one running gag over and over, or Sam being ANGRY!!! Those can work to some extent, but here...not so much. Sam is also VERY unlikable and annoying in it. If you want to make her unlikable intentionally, fine. But at least make her antics amusing, because I did not find them funny one bit. "THAT MAKES BIG SISTER SAM MAD!!! *destroys something*" wasn't funny the first time, and just got annoying as it went on. Not to mention Patrick being oblivious to Sam's antics was also not funny the first time it happened. Oh, and I love how they try making us sympathize with her near the end. Yeah, that doesn't work here. Bubble Bass was at least unlikable from start to finish (and actually an amusing character), but here, they try to make Sam likable in the end despite everything else that happens. Nope, sorry. The whole episode in a nutshell is just Sam getting angry and destroying stuff for 11 minutes, with Patrick being oblivious in the background. This one is just a gift-wrapped package of badness: obnoxious, flanderized character, an unlikable one-time character, and cringey humor. Go away Sam, Patrick was better not having a sister.

WhoBob: Here's the main reason why this episode sucks so bad, Sam. Seriously, she is the worst one-time character appeared on this show. To quote Squidward, she sure was a dumber version of Patrick and it wasn't funny at all. All she did was destroy SpongeBob and Squidward's houses and yell. That's her character. They don't make jokes with her, nothing. She was there to annoy the audience. Patrick wasn't so much better with standing up to her as well, it made Patrick a jerk in this episode. I guess I can let it slide since he did realize his sister was out of control and his sister realized that as well but still I was not fond by this at all. It was annoying af.

22 (1). / 21. Cephalopod Lodge

zYogMgQ.png?1 

102 points. 8 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #3 - @Trophy )

SpongeBob sees that Squidward is actually smiling one day at the Krusty Krab, so he and Patrick decide to spy on him and see why he is so happy. That night, Squidward goes into a strange lodge, in which SpongeBob and Patrick intrude into the lodge. Squidward puts on robes, and hangs out with the other members of Cephalopod Lodge. When SpongeBob and Patrick decide to join in the festivities, Squidward is held accountable for allowing two non-Cephalopods into the lodge and is banned for life. The two attempt to apologize to the lodge owner, but this fails when Patrick says it is the owner's fault. SpongeBob and Patrick have an "initiation" on Squidward (this involves kidnapping him and forcing him to pass it), which is putting a jellyfish on your tongue and letting it sting you. SpongeBob and Patrick then start their own club, and they call it "The Feather Friends," much to the annoyance of Squidward, who begs that he wants to be allowed back into Cephalopod Lodge. SpongeBob and Patrick want to help, so they dress up as a sock monster so they can scare the members while Squidward "saves" them. Their plan works, and Squidward is allowed back in. However, when SpongeBob and Patrick take off the sock and reveal themselves, Squidward is again kicked out. SpongeBob and Patrick decide to go back to the "their lodge" idea, but first they need to do the "initiation" on Squidward.

Jjs: Sorry, I know some people like this one, but I just can't enjoy it. It made my list relatively low at #22 though, so I don't hate it, but that doesn't mean it is off the hook. It's not even the "Squidward abuse" that bugs me, but for me, it fails in the comedy department (much like Pineapple Fever, another Season 6 episode that some people like, hmm...). SpongeBob and Patrick are just really annoying. And not to mention this episode has a pretty odd plot-Illuminati references in SpongeBob? However, that's only a blip on my radar compared to everything else in this episode. All the gags you can see coming a mile away, and I just didn't find any of them amusing. Haha, the Illuminati Squids think a giant sock is an albino eel! Haha, SpongeBob and Patrick dress in chicken suits! The ending was also a pretty lame way to cap off a pretty lame episode. But hey, if you like this one, more power to you.

JCM: I've always considered Cephalopod Lodge one of the stronger episodes of Season 6. That twist at the end was one of the few laugh-out-loud moments of the season for me. I understand why people might think it was too harsh on Squidward, but it honestly wasn't that bad. I don't think it deserves a spot on this list, at least, but everyone has their own opinions, and that's what makes lists like these so interesting.

22 (2). / 21. Yours, Mine and Mine

y2Cerxq.jpg?1 

102 points. 7 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #2 - @Katniss )

One day, Patrick orders a Krabby Kiddie meal at the Krusty Krab, but since he does not have any money, SpongeBob pays for it. He agrees to share it with SpongeBob, but does not save any of the meal for him. Patrick then wants his money back because his meal did not come with a toy, again despite the fact that SpongeBob paid for it, not him. Mr. Krabs sticks some straws and googly eyes on a Krabby Patty and calls it a Krabby Patty shaped toy, and SpongeBob falls in love with it and names it "Patty Pal." Patrick then reminds SpongeBob that they are sharing this meal, ignoring that he ate it all himself, and takes Patty Pal.

It is the end of the day, and Patrick still will not let SpongeBob play with Patty Pal. They both go home, and SpongeBob declares that Patrick will be asleep and not get to play with Patty Pal, but Patrick dances with the Patty Pal all night. SpongeBob wakes up and goes over to get the toy, but Patrick makes excuses not to come out. SpongeBob pretends to walk away, but fails to get Patrick to give him Patty Pal. Patrick whines and thinks it's not fair that SpongeBob wants the toy. SpongeBob tries to be diplomatic and suggests that they each get a day with it, but Patrick refuses. He asks him if he can keep it for a shorter time, but Patrick refuses again, and continues to refuse to SpongeBob's continually decreasing offers until SpongeBob finally takes the toy deciding that they trade off every second. Unfortunately, even when they do that, Patrick still looks physically pained to part with the toy for even a second, so he takes the toy and runs away, which makes them begin to fight.

They run into Squidward's house and then Sandy's Treedome without helmets on. Sandy tries to help them, but they dry out and run out of her treedome gasping for water. When they feel better, they begin to fight again, and roll onto a bus, a subway, a taxi, and eventually back into the Krusty Krab. Patrick yells that if he cannot have it, then no one can and eats Patty Pal. SpongeBob and Patrick complain to Mr. Krabs, who stops their argument saying that they should be ashamed for letting a toy get in the way of their friendship. After that, he lets them each have a toy, but they have to pay for it. Patrick replies that he will pay, but he pulls out SpongeBob's wallet. SpongeBob tells him that it is his wallet, and Patrick asks him if he has learned nothing about sharing.

Jjs: Stupid episode. Wasn't stupid enough to make my list, but I get the hatred for it. It's just not really amusing to watch. At least previous SpongeBob/Patrick conflicts were entertaining. This one was just childish, annoying, and boring from start to finish. However, this tends to slip under my radar a lot because Nickelodeon never reran this episode, so I rarely ever saw it. I would probably flat out forget this episode existed (and I have before) if I didn't see the constant dislike for it, but that's not to discredit the dislike.

Halibut: What a horrible episode, from beginning to end. SpongeBob and Patrick are so disgustingly out of character, it's not even funny. This episode could've possibly been redeemable with Sandy actually straightening them, but the fact that it didn't work out really annoys me. It honestly deserves more hate.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 7

I can't say Puff's actions are justified but tbh I could see why she'd attack SpongeBob. I can see why it's on people's list but I wasn't bothered too much. It's flawed but an ok episode to me.

Cephalopod Lodge, this one has nice gags and Squid abuse wasn't even bad but again I can see why people hate this one. The ending was bad.

Yours Mine and Mine - Well i know it sucks, so not much to say :P

1 minute ago, Trophy said:

They've acted way worse before *points to Cephalopod Lodge and Tentacle Vision*

those episodes kind of made me amused in a weird way. YMM was just so boring to me. Well, to each of our own.

1 minute ago, Dr. WhoBob said:

those episodes kind of made me amused in a weird way. YMM was just so boring to me. Well, to each of our own.

In terms of behavior, I'd rather see them act out against each other than have BOTH of them obliviously and blatantly acting out against another at the exact same time.

Demolition Doofus - I don't hate it, I just find unmemorable really.

Big Sister Sam - Boring and repetitive ep.

Cephalopod Lodge - Rather lame, but far worse eps exist.

YMM - Yeah, I really dislike this one. It's just so childish and SB and Patrick are so OOC (especially SB) that it's one of the few episodes that is essentially unredeemable for me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trophy said:

In terms of behavior, I'd rather see them act out against each other than have BOTH of them obliviously and blatantly acting out against another at the exact same time.

well you got a point in there. I really don't like when they screw around and annoy everyone. sometimes it can work as a guilty pleasure for me, other times, it's pure annoyance.

To be blunt, these episodes all suck. Little noteworthy to say and I agree with the placement and general consensus. Moving on.

25. Pineapple Fever (#32)

24. Summer Job (#37)

21. Are You Happy Now? (#36)

16. Demolition Doofus (#23)

14. The Card (#42)

12. Rodeo Daze (#48)

9. Atlantis SquarePantis (#34)

3. Pet Sitter Pat (#25)

• Like 1