• Advertisement

The Lego Batman Movie

Cha

I can't believe I loved this just as much as Lego movie.

At first I didn't want this to happen because now Lego Movie is getting it's own franchise but after seeing the trailer, I was totally sold. Now that I saw it I can't believe this was just as good as The Lego Movie. Firstly I couldn't see this in english because turkey makes dubs for kids but still the turkish voice actor almost fits Will Arnett as Batman and I'm sure Will Arnett killed the role as Batman in this. Other voice actors were good too but I seriously loved the turkish voice actor for Batman.

Enough about that, the story couldn't have been better. This movie turns Batman into an egotistical jerk for how he can do pretty much anything to defeat bad guys and how much he can handle being alone. He basicly praises himself and doesn't give a crap about others' thoughts and feelings because he's afraid of making friends and family. This movie makes fun of how much Batman is so popular and so overrused in media. He's everyone's favorite superhero and because of that, people just make so many different versions of Batman and it really gets tiring to see this many adaptations of him. So it was just amazing to see the movie making fun of that aspect but it also appreciates how much we love Batman. This movie is all about family. As a cliched theme it is, it works here because Bruce doesn't wanna make family because he doesn't wanna lose them just as same as he lost his family. I'm tired of seeing Batman's origin so many times but I loved that aspect of the movie because in the end, Bruce realizes that he doesn't need to be alone. He can make a new family with brand new people. Now I love Nolan's Batman trilogy so much. I think it's the best told Batman story (excluding animated series because I haven't seen most episodes of the show yet) but unlike Nolan's Batman, this movie explored the concept of family way beyond and it was so sweet. Did I mention I actually cried during the theater? I wasn't expecting to cry for a spoof movie but I did and it's because this isn't just a spoof movie. It's an emotional movie about Bruce's relationship with his son, Dick Grayson, aka Robin. Speaking of Robin, I'm gonna have to make comprasion to TTG because both are spoof entertainment and this movie works as a spoof than TTG as a spoof and you know why? Just like I explained, his character grew as the movie progresses, whereas TTG characters, especially Robin are just egotistical jerks to each other. And egotistical jerk fits Batman much more than Robin. And another thing, Lego Batman has good jokes and while it makes fun of Batman, it also celebrates him but TTG just trashes Teen Titans for no good reason, it made fun of criticism and fans of the original show and it has way too childish comedy. Well here, it does have jokes that kids will like more but there's just enough for this movie to make laugh adults like me too. This movie just knows how to make fun of Batman so well.

As for other characters, I loved how Robin is just a kid who adores both Batman and Bruce Wayne and he wants to have a dad. He's just so freaking cute and hilarious how he wants to be Batman's kid. And I loved how this movie reminds us that he does have acrobatic skills just like how he was an acrobatic when he was a little kid. Alfred as Bruce's butler but still as a dad is definitely a good touch on his character. It's hilarious and ironic how Bruce tells him that he has no idea how to take care of an orphan child. Him becoming 60s Batman was another great thing about this movie. Barbara is a big praise here. She definitely shows the audience that she can kick as much butt as Batman but she still wishes that Batman and her would work together, instead of Batman taking care of everything. It's a nice aspect of her character that she really wants Batman's help but she also wants to help Batman to stop evil too. Another great thing about this is that Batman has a crush on her at first sight and it would be creepy if they became a couple at the end because Barbare tells him that she wanted to be just like Batman when she was a kid but they become parthers of crime and family in non-romantic way, rather than a couple. As for Joker, they really handled Joker so perfectly here. Just like in comics and other adaptations, Joker can't live without Batman. They complete each other and it's amazing how Joker and Batman has some sort of one-sided romantic relationship. I seriously believed in theaters that they are like gay couple, except it's a love/hate relationship and I can't praise that aspect of their relationship. It's so nice to see that gay relationship could be a thing in kids movies, even though Joker and Batman aren't technically in love with each other but they act as in love with each other. And I tell you this is definitely a better romance movie to take your girlfriend/boyfriend to than Fifty Shades Doucher. 

Animation is once again superb and comedy strikes again, even though there are a few annoying and childish jokes but I can let them slide since it's still aimed at kids and those kind of jokes don't get used too much. And lastly "Friends are Family" song is perfect.

If you love The Lego Movie, you'll definitely get a kick out of this spin-off. It's just as sweet, funny and action-packed at The Lego Movie.

Grade: A+

• Like 2

This was not as good as The Lego Movie, but this was pretty damn enjoyable for what it was.

Definitely was a funnier movie to me at least with all of the Batman easter eggs and how it felt like a new joke was being thrown at you for what felt like every ten seconds or so.  Sometimes to its own detriment because there were some moments I needed to catch my breath before laughing at the next one.  But there is no denying that Lord and Miller know their shit when it comes to mocking pop culture and the Batman.DC universe.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THEY EVEN MOCKED HOW USELESS THE BAT SHARK REPELLENT WAS ONLY TO GIVE IT TIME TO SHINE IN THE CLIMAX!  HOLY FORESHADOWING BATMAN!

Seriously though, my only gripe with this movie was that the third act wasn't strong enough with the whole family/teamwork cliche that they rehashed somewhat from The Lego Movie.  I get what they were trying to do with it in terms of applying it to Batman himself, but it just didn't work for me.  That being said, I love this and can't wait to watch it again soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clappy said:

This was not as good as The Lego Movie, but this was pretty damn enjoyable for what it was.

Definitely was a funnier movie to me at least with all of the Batman easter eggs and how it felt like a new joke was being thrown at you for what felt like every ten seconds or so.  Sometimes to its own detriment because there were some moments I needed to catch my breath before laughing at the next one.  But there is no denying that Lord and Miller know their shit when it comes to mocking pop culture and the Batman.DC universe.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THEY EVEN MOCKED HOW USELESS THE BAT SHARK REPELLENT WAS ONLY TO GIVE IT TIME TO SHINE IN THE CLIMAX!  HOLY FORESHADOWING BATMAN!

Seriously though, my only gripe with this movie was that the third act wasn't strong enough with the whole family/teamwork cliche that they rehashed somewhat from The Lego Movie.  I get what they were trying to do with it in terms of applying it to Batman himself, but it just didn't work for me.  That being said, I love this and can't wait to watch it again soon.

Tbh i always thought message of Lego Movie was more that you can be imaginative and extraordinary than teamwork/family. I think family fits here better considering Batman's origin.

11 minutes ago, Rachel Bloom said:

Tbh i always thought message of Lego Movie was more that you can be imaginative and extraordinary than teamwork/family. I think family fits here better considering Batman's origin.

That was the main message yeah, but they also had multiple underlying messages about teamwork in terms of how everything worked better for the Master Builders when they worked together as a team:

"You guys are so talented and imaginative... but you can’t work as a team. I’m just a construction worker, but when I have a plan and we were working together, we could build a skyscraper. Now you guys are Master Builders. Just imagine what you could do if you did that! You could save the universe!"

Yeah the family lesson fits better here, that's why I said somewhat because that part worked due to the origins of Batman :P.  Why it didn't work for me in terms of my overall complaint was that if this was supposed to be all interconnected to make a full plan Lego universe, then did Batman not learn his lesson from The Lego Movie about working together?  Because it seemed like he did in the end of that movie. Like I said though, just a minor nitpick on my part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clappy said:

That was the main message yeah, but they also had multiple underlying messages about teamwork in terms of how everything worked better for the Master Builders when they worked together as a team:

Yeah the family lesson fits better here, that's why I said somewhat because that part worked due to the origins of Batman :P.  Why it didn't work for me in terms of my overall complaint was that if this was supposed to be all interconnected to make a full plan Lego universe, then did Batman not learn his lesson from The Lego Movie about working together?  Because it seemed like he did in the end of that movie. Like I said though, just a minor nitpick on my part.

Yeah that makes sense. That came into my mind too when i thought of Batman in The Lego Movie. I suppose it's a weird feeling but still it worked for me here too. :funny:

23 hours ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

but how can they mock something when they didn't write the mocking material :stinkeye:

Here let me put it to you this way man with the best comparison I can think of.

Even though Christopher Nolan wasn't involved with the screenplay for Man of Steel, it still felt like there was tons of Nolan involved with it, even though Zack Snyder made it, y'know?  Like the elements to the story felt very Nolan-like and that his influence was definitely there.

I know Lord and Miller didn't technically write this, but I felt like as producers, their influence was still heavily involved with all the smart jokes and mocking of pop culture.  Know what I mean?

Vastly superior to LEGO Movie honestly. Batman is never boring to watch, even when he flies 10 million ego jokes at you per minute. I do think some of the family bonds were rushed and that near the end they padded out how many times Batman just wouldn't accept their help, but overall I'd say it was a better climax that didn't use a terrible live action ending with a kid/father.

The highlights were the opening action with Batman's new badass jam, blocking Ivy with the penguins, Batman destroying Joker's feelings, "All the kids at the orphanage call me Dick." "Well children can be cruel", a lot of really swell uses of licensed music, the "British robots", Batman smashing into the sky, the white/black screen parallel, and a heck load of meta humor about Batman's long past (even if I haven't followed nearly any of it).

• Like 1

Hello, I haven't seen a movie in theaters since Monster's University.

Didn't consider it one of my favorite movies at first, but then I let it sink in for a day and now it is. The graphics are beautiful, the jokes are all fast paced yet witty and not overused, etc. Coming from a Batman fan of other movies/series/the original Lego Batman Video Game and have seen the other Lego Batman movie. (Granted, I haven't dabbled in the franchise in a while. And yes there was another Lego Batman movie but it was boring to me iirc.) Of course Batman is an over-exaggerated version of the real deal that people have used for a while now. But what I really found interesting (and most members notice my obsession recently probably :funny: ) is Robin. He's quite unlike the usual Robin (besides his 60's self), he's innocent and sweet, yet not an annoying sidekick. Like WhoBob said, even though they didn't exactly mention Robin's family, they did add some aerobatic elements to the boy. Plus Barbara/Batgirl as the commissioner because she deserved it helping another city, I think she's a strong character in that way. Although I wouldn't say I like her as much as Batman and Robin, but it's fine.  

I literally came into the movie watching zero trailers (which I recommend if you can, since it enhances the experience not knowing what's in store) and the only thing I did watch was like a 20 second clip of Batman. Joker and Batman's hate relationship being a spoof of real-life relationships was amusing. When did you ever see Joker legit feeling hurt like this, it's so funny yet cute.

lego-joker-615x300.jpg

It's kinda weird seeing Robin so clingy to Batman and calling him dad and the ending of the movie literally calling Alfred Bruce's father plain and simple, but this is just a different take on the characters again. So much quality, I wish it wasn't already March so I could see it again. Overall, an interesting twist on the characters personalities and just colorful to look at. 

plus it's better than the Lego Movie, fight me :funny: 

and i didn't already make fanart of it or anything

Spoiler

padre_and_son_by_unlimitedcha-db1gxyw.pn

• Like 3

I saw this yesterday. Very good, though my preference is still The Lego Movie, mainly because it's an easier movie to put myself into. Don't get me wrong, Batman was thoroughly hilarious throughout the movie, but Emmet's character conflict was more grabbing to me. Also, to my surprise, The Joker's character in this movie fascinated me the most. I never thought the day would come where I'd feel for a parody of a superhero villain growing upset after being told by a parody of a hero, "I don't do ships.". That was gold. He wasn't my favorite character in the movie though. My favorite was Robin. Like Cha said, it's very unusual that they made Robin so likable in making him a bubbly, enthusiastic kid rather than making him badass. 

I may as well sign myself up for seeing The Lego Ninjago Movie in theaters already at this point. I have a good feeling that the quality of these movies is not going to go downhill any time soon.

• Like 3

Finally got around to seeing this movie. Add me to the camp of people who thought the LEGO Movie was better, but this was still a pretty good movie. There were plenty of jokes, the animation was beautiful, I enjoyed the action scenes, and I liked how the message of the importance of family was reinforced with Batman. Plus, Robin was adorable, Joker was hilarious, and Babs was awesome. 

• Like 1