• Advertisement

Comparing SpongeBob Designs

Jane

Help_Wanted_030.jpg

I adore his model in "Help Wanted," it's lovably dorky and has a few design quirks that I love, such as his trapezoidal aspect to him, his teeth, his shoes and his slightly smaller right eye among other things. They contributed to his overall sense of uniqueness. I think it encapsulates the spirit and personality of him the best, but unfortunately this was probably harder to animate. Would love to see this put to use some day, but I think Vince and Paul said they can't due to technical reasons.

spongebob-squarepants-fear-of-a-krabby-p

A couple of the quirks from his older design were removed, but I still am quite fond of his design throughout most of Season 1. It's true to his personality and he looks very hug-able. 

imageforums.php?img=8deZsHUpygfkM147rNUv

It looks a bit streamlined but is very appealing. Love the experimentation in color they did throughout Season 2 as well. I think the switch to computer coloring was a good one. Love how they made his right eye slightly smaller than his left too. Probably my favorite design of his besides the pilot.

024a%20-%20Dying%20for%20Pie%20376.jpg

His face reminds me of his Help Wanted/Season 1 design. It looks like they were trying to test out quirks in his design throughout the season too.

024b%20-%20Imitation%20Krabs%20074.jpg

The lines are thicker and they made him a bit leaner. They made his collar shorter and simplified his face a bit. The colors are brighter too. I really love his thicker ridges and chin in this one. 

034b%20-%20Frankendoodle%20260.jpg

The lines aren't quite as thick and the colors are a bit different. His eyelashes look kind of weird though IMO. His pupils are a bit bigger too and his eyes look too perfect honestly.

034a%20-%20Welcome%20to%20the%20Chum%20B

His face is smaller and his holes are farther apart. His ridges are simplified and they changed the colors once again. Reminds me a bit of his Season 3 model. Meh on this though.

spongebob-squarepants-season-3-episode-9

His season 3 one is alright. It looks a little overtly simple though. It was probably easier to animate after all, and I think it's still pretty cute.

621_356_The_SpongeBob_SquarePants_Movie.

This is a mixed bag, personally. I like his boxy look and I think the artists were allowed to experiment more with his expressions here, but I prefer in his other models that his face takes up more of his body and some of the design quirks. 

87e5cb9d19b8838eb432f301ed4aa7a0e9f20539

I really like this one the most out of all the post-movie episodes. Very expressive and cute. I like the approach they were going with this.

1225846296_1.jpg

Ew. Looks emotionless and sterile, and a little unsettling personally. I think this is where the budget cut began to take place. It's most evident in the later part of Season 5.

SpongeBob-SquarePants-Season-6-Episode-1

This is abysmal. Looks like they zapped all of the personality out of his design. I really don't like his face especially, it looks too clean and perfect. My least favorite model of the series. One positive thing about this one though is that his ridges look kinda neat.

SpongeBob-SquarePants-Season-7-Episode-3

Really hate how small and emtoionless his face is. Very flat too. He has a lot of odd and gross facial expressions too and can look unintentionally creepy at times.

SpongeBob-SquarePants-Season-8-Episode-1

Really hate how small and flat his arms are, but I think they tried to cuten up a bit and improve in some aspects. Wish his face were bigger though.

imageforums.php?img=lbmKAKGkE9%2BrOJD4pz

Improving incrementally. Still don't like his face and this looks a little flat. I notice that they made his shorts a little bigger too.

11941_5.jpg

Yay! I like this design a lot. It incorporates elements of his pre and post movie designs. Very expressive as well and cuter. Appreciated refresh to his design, and I'm glad a very similar model is being used in Season 9B. I also think they improved on his face a lot too. This is one of my favorite designs.

I've seen this topic posted a few times on SBM but wanted to offer my opinions on this topic. What do you think?

Edited by Eggnog
  • Like 1

I like how in his season one and two designs the top of his head is bigger than the bottom of it. Also, the colors weren't as bright, but he looked more, I dunno, mature. This was a very interesting analysis.

• Like 1

I've always found it kind of unfair to treat a season 2 design as some kind of singularity considering how many various designs there were

021a%20-%20Your%20Shoe's%20Untied%20107.

I hope I'm not the only one who notices distinct differences between these.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JakeFromStateFarm said:

Very good comparison.

Not gonna lie, the main reason why I prefer the older designs to the modern designs is because the colors weren't as bright. If the colors werent as glaring or harsh, I think I would mind them a lot less.

I honestly prefer the brighter colors. 

13 hours ago, Santa Squidward said:

I've always found it kind of unfair to treat a season 2 design as some kind of singularity considering how many various designs there were

021a%20-%20Your%20Shoe's%20Untied%20107.

I hope I'm not the only one who notices distinct differences between these.

Oh, I do too, but I was kinda lazy. :P Just added those into the post.

Edited by Eggnog

On 1/30/2016 at 9:40 AM, crushingmayhem said:

The original designs seem a lot better when compared to the newer ones. Yet the new design has better colors due to better rendering tech these days. You can really tell the originals were hand drawn by just looking at the colors used in the designs.

The show is still traditionally animated, it was just inked and colored using cels during season 1. Nowadays it's composited and colored using Toon Boom.