• Advertisement

Our Newest Family Member

Guest hilaryfan80

Guest hilaryfan80

Everyone please welcome Plankton, the newest member in the SBC Server Family! :plankton2:

After the many crashes that we have had on SBC, I decided that enough was enough, and I migrated SBC's database to an entirely new server. We now have three servers: Karen, Plankton, and Spot!

Here is what each of them do:

Karen is the master server. She's the server you get to when you go on SBC. She's the one that gives you the images, forums, and everything else that you have to download. She also handles the shoutbox, SBC Music, Jeopardy, and Pictionary.

Plankton is the back server. His job is merely to do whatever work Karen wants him to do. Currently, he holds all of the database and handles any odd occurrences that happens to come at Karen's path.

Spot is the SpongeCraft server. He likes his job very much, though he's still new at this, so he crashes every now and then. It's ok Spot, we love you for who you are!

The Server Family sounds like a sitcom name. Here are the theme lyrics:

THE SERVER FAMILY!

WITH KAREN, THE MAIN SER-VER! SHE DOES PRETTY MUCH EEEEVVVRRRYYYYTTTHHHIIIINNNGGGGG!

PLANKTON, ON THE OTHERHAND IS THE BACKEND, HE HOLDS THE DATABASESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

SPOT, HE OWNS SC, DUDUDUDUDUDUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Created by: hilaryfan80

Lyrics by: sblover

SBC by: terminoob

• Like 3

Guest hilaryfan80

^ LOL.

One of the biggest benefits of having two separate servers is the fact that one can crash without crashing the other. Let's say that PHP, the main language behind SBC, is taking a really long time to make a post. Well, to process something that take a long time, the server needs to use a lot of resources. Let's say that 90% of the resources goes to PHP to help speed up making that post. Well, now you have the poor database in the corner who is forced to use only 10% of the resources. The database is like "I can't take it anymore! I need space!!" and crashes - you know, like how college students get so stressed out over studying that they watch Netflix instead. By splitting them apart, now PHP can take as much room as it wants and the database doesn't have to suffer as a result - or it could work the other way around!