• Advertisement

Jurassic World

Clappy

I can't tell if people are trying to be clever by saying it's the second best Jurassic Park film or if they actually mean it. Man of Steel was the second best Superman movie but that doesn't make it a good movie, it just makes it better than the crap that came before it which shouldn't be something to be proud of.

...I legitimately think this looks a lot better than even the first Jurassic Park movie, and I heard that both the original Superman and Superman II were good.

Just got back from seeing this. Slight spoilers below.

Spoiler

Definitely the second best of the franchise. It's an entertaining movie. Chris Pratt is easily the star of the movie. Even though his character is ridiculous (he's a fucking dinosaur whisperer!?) Chris Pratt does what he can and makes him easily the best character performance with Jake Johnson's comedic relief character being a close second. The dinosaurs I thought were animated fine. Would I have like to seen them better animated? I think with that huge budget, they could have probably used a bit more since there were some scenes were I felt like the dinosaurs were somewhat cartoony but it wasn't that big of a problem. The problem I have is with a majority of these characters and the gaping logical plot holes. A lot of these characters were freaking stereotypes and could have been better written to give them more depth. And while the story I felt was compelling, those plot holes bugged me. You're telling me that with all of this money spent on building the island, getting huge product placement deals, building a theme park full of dinosaurs, and not to mention bad experiences here in the past....you could only spend enough money on ONE FUCKING BOAT TO GET OFF THE ISLAND!?!?!? Oh and our human villain and the scientist from the first JP movie being in cahoots together this whole time was such a horrendously forced plot twist. We never saw them interact once. But yeah our human villain was a massive dumbass. His motif was militarized raptors...what the hell were the writers thinking? Did they think that would sound cool because it sounds fucking stupid. I don't want to spoil the whole movie but some of these plot holes were noticeable and needed to be addressed either more in depth or should have not been in the movie at all.

But yeah, despite my complaints, I enjoyed myself. I came in knowing it was a Jurassic Park movie/sequel. You have to turn off your brain to enjoy movies like these. While I clearly did not do that, I did enjoy it for what it's worth. The action scenes were great. The story knows where it's going and while the plot holes it writes itself into are noticeable, it at least never drops off. I enjoyed the social commentary that this movie had about society today and how glued in people are on technology. Not to mention even dinosaurs not holding kids attention these days. It was well directed, I knew Colin Treverrow would do that well in terms of zoning in on the opportune moments to keep your eyes glued. Check out some of his other films btw, he knows his action/adventure films. It's definitely a step up over the last two Jurassic Park movies.

So yeah, I enjoyed it. I would normally give a movie like this a 7/10, but 6.5/10 just because you do have to account for it's flaws despite liking it.

I'm so disappointed that this is not going to be a great film. At least it's going to be fun popcorn movie. I still need to see first Jurassic movie tho.

Opinions do differ. Just because I didn't think it was great doesn't mean you won't. :P

Opinions do differ. Just because I didn't think it was great doesn't mean you won't. :P

true but the critisim i've heard from critics made me a little skeptial about it. Hopefully I find it great.

Honestly what Wumbo said. I definitely prefer this popcorn flick over most entries into the genre because the action scenes are great and the story never drops off keeping the pacing good. Its nowhere near bad summer movie territory like the last three Transformer films or that new Terminator movie that looks super terrible.

• Like 2

I'm late to the party but I just saw this the other day.

Spoiler

For the most part it was definitely decent. I overlooked some of the plot holes that Clappy talked about, like the boat thing and the scientist/villain being in cahoots, because I figure it's a movie and there's bound to be some stuff in the script that ends up getting cut or left out. Would it have benefited from a scene where the scientist and villain interact prior to the reveal? Yeah, probably, but that also takes up time. Would it have benefited from there being more boats on the island? Yeah, probably, but that also slightly takes away from the sense of peril that they're creating. I'm fine with those as is, but there's one thing I couldn't stand and that was the goddamn family.

What the hell was the point of all that emotional family drama nonsense? Were we supposed to connect to the characters and relate to their misery? Was that supposed to make us more connected to the danger because we knew they had something to lose? I don't know and I don't care. I thought it was shoddy writing. Bryce Dallas Howard's character is a negligent aunt - okay, fine, whatever, she's a workaholic. I get it. You know how they also made that clear? By having her interact with Chris Pratt's character, her love interest. We're told very quickly that they went on a date and for some reason Howard's character didn't want a second date. We assume this is because she's a workaholic, and we assume she's a workaholic because she's a negligent aunt. We also could've been told she's a workaholic through that bit of dialogue (we also actually might've been reminded of that - I don't remember the entire scene; if we were, then that's even worse). This way you cut out the scenes where she's on the phone with her sister (that scene where her sister was in a meeting and she started crying? What the hell was that? I want dinosaurs).

While we're at it, let's cut out that stupid "plot" about how the parents are getting divorced. Even if that comes up in the sequels - why the hell does it matter? I don't care about family drama in a movie about dinosaurs. You know what I care about? Dinosaurs. Sure, have Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard hook-up. I don't care about that. He's the charismatic leading man and she's the sexy leading lady. Have them date for all I care because it was barely focused on in the movie and you could tell through their chemistry that they worked well together and we already got their first scene about how they went on a date and it didn't work out. All the building blocks were there and it made sense and I didn't groan because it wasn't focused on. This divorce stuff? This family crap? This was actually focused on and they dedicated time to those scenes. You know what could've been done instead of this? A scene with the villain and the scientist. The scene where Bryce Dallas Howard's character and her sister are on the phone and her sister is in the meeting? Cut that out and replace it with a scene where the villain and scientist are in a group together talking about the raptors and hint at them being of a similar mind.

Another thing I wasn't a fan of was Jake Johnson's introduction. I thought that was ridiculous. The rest of his scenes were great and I liked him being in the movie, but I didn't like how they just had him go on about how great the "original park" was. Just one line about the shirt he was wearing would've been enough. No need to go into how the original park didn't need to create their own dinosaurs to be cool or whatever he was talking about.

Oh, and Bryce Dallas Howard's character being in heels the whole movie was stupid. She would've been just as badass if she was wearing normal shoes - not to mention it would've been smarter to do so. I commend her for doing it but her character seemed like she was supposed to be smart and I don't think a smart character would've worn heels in a situation where she'd get eaten by a dinosaur if she didn't step correctly or if she caught a branch.

Those are all relatively small complaints, though. The family stuff was unnecessary but really didn't take up too much time at all and Jake Johnson's intro scene was pretty short too. I thought everything else was done well enough. Chris Pratt had enough swagger to pull off the bland dialogue he was given and everything about the dinosaurs was just what I wanted. The T-Rex and Blue teaming up against the I-Rex? Oh man. That was amazing.

I think it was good enough for me to not totally worry about the sequels. They probably won't be the same level as Jurassic Park - or probably even this one - but I don't think they'll end up being that bad.

• Like 2

I'm late to the party but I just saw this the other day. 

Spoiler

For the most part it was definitely decent. I overlooked some of the plot holes that Clappy talked about, like the boat thing and the scientist/villain being in cahoots, because I figure it's a movie and there's bound to be some stuff in the script that ends up getting cut or left out. Would it have benefited from a scene where the scientist and villain interact prior to the reveal? Yeah, probably, but that also takes up time. Would it have benefited from there being more boats on the island? Yeah, probably, but that also slightly takes away from the sense of peril that they're creating. I'm fine with those as is, but there's one thing I couldn't stand and that was the goddamn family. What the hell was the point of all that emotional family drama nonsense? Were we supposed to connect to the characters and relate to their misery? Was that supposed to make us more connected to the danger because we knew they had something to lose? I don't know and I don't care. I thought it was shoddy writing. Bryce Dallas Howard's character is a negligent aunt - okay, fine, whatever, she's a workaholic. I get it. You know how they also made that clear? By having her interact with Chris Pratt's character, her love interest. We're told very quickly that they went on a date and for some reason Howard's character didn't want a second date. We assume this is because she's a workaholic, and we assume she's a workaholic because she's a negligent aunt. We also could've been told she's a workaholic through that bit of dialogue (we also actually might've been reminded of that - I don't remember the entire scene; if we were, then that's even worse). This way you cut out the scenes where she's on the phone with her sister (that scene where her sister was in a meeting and she started crying? What the hell was that? I want dinosaurs).

While we're at it, let's cut out that stupid "plot" about how the parents are getting divorced. Even if that comes up in the sequels - why the hell does it matter? I don't care about family drama in a movie about dinosaurs. You know what I care about? Dinosaurs. Sure, have Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard hook-up. I don't care about that. He's the charismatic leading man and she's the sexy leading lady. Have them date for all I care because it was barely focused on in the movie and you could tell through their chemistry that they worked well together and we already got their first scene about how they went on a date and it didn't work out. All the building blocks were there and it made sense and I didn't groan because it wasn't focused on. This divorce stuff? This family crap? This was actually focused on and they dedicated time to those scenes. You know what could've been done instead of this? A scene with the villain and the scientist. The scene where Bryce Dallas Howard's character and her sister are on the phone and her sister is in the meeting? Cut that out and replace it with a scene where the villain and scientist are in a group together talking about the raptors and hint at them being of a similar mind.

Another thing I wasn't a fan of was Jake Johnson's introduction. I thought that was ridiculous. The rest of his scenes were great and I liked him being in the movie, but I didn't like how they just had him go on about how great the "original park" was. Just one line about the shirt he was wearing would've been enough. No need to go into how the original park didn't need to create their own dinosaurs to be cool or whatever he was talking about.

Oh, and Bryce Dallas Howard's character being in heels the whole movie was stupid. She would've been just as badass if she was wearing normal shoes - not to mention it would've been smarter to do so. I commend her for doing it but her character seemed like she was supposed to be smart and I don't think a smart character would've worn heels in a situation where she'd get eaten by a dinosaur if she didn't step correctly or if she caught a branch. Those are all relatively small complaints, though. The family stuff was unnecessary but really didn't take up too much time at all and Jake Johnson's intro scene was pretty short too. I thought everything else was done well enough. Chris Pratt had enough swagger to pull off the bland dialogue he was given and everything about the dinosaurs was just what I wanted. The T-Rex and Blue teaming up against the I-Rex? Oh man. That was amazing.

I think it was good enough for me to not totally worry about the sequels. They probably won't be the same level as Jurassic Park - or probably even this one - but I don't think they'll end up being that bad.

Spoiler

And restore the dinosaur feces scene while you're at it.

:P

Oh yeah, I saw this about two weeks ago. It was pretty entertaining for the most part, but not better than The Avengers (2012), which it managed to overtake brutally.