• Advertisement

Please Do Not Go See This Movie 2.0 - Planes: The "Spin-off" to Cars

Clappy

Couldn't Disney at least TRY appealing with everyone? More people = $$$$

They don't need to, though. Have you ever seen the Pokemon anime recently? It's trash, but the writers don't care because the purpose is to generate sales of merchandise because that's where the money's coming from (yes I know the anime isn't making money because TV shows don't do that, but it's making ratings which is like TV money). The kids are watching it, and the kids are seeing all these cool things and they want these cool things because, well, they're pretty damn cool, so they're going out and buying games plushies and limited edition consoles and pens and trapper keepers and stickers and keychains and figures and everything like that. Cartoon Network does this all the time, too; it's why Ben 10 has spawned four-spin offs (or five? I've lost count) and two movies and it's why Sym-Bionic Titan got canceled so quickly.

This is the same thing; this is a 2 hour commercial meant to generate publicity for a line of merchandise that's going to fly off the shelves because kids love planes (hell, I love planes) and they'll want to get figures of Dusty and El Chupacabra and everyone else. Disney knows they can sustain this by sales alone; they don't need to put effort into making it enjoyable because Disney's one of the greediest corporations and they're always out for blood and money (and probably blood money).

They don't need to, though. Have you ever seen the Pokemon anime recently? It's trash, but the writers don't care because the purpose is to generate sales of merchandise because that's where the money's coming from (yes I know the anime isn't making money because TV shows don't do that, but it's making ratings which is like TV money). The kids are watching it, and the kids are seeing all these cool things and they want these cool things because, well, they're pretty damn cool, so they're going out and buying games plushies and limited edition consoles and pens and trapper keepers and stickers and keychains and figures and everything like that. Cartoon Network does this all the time, too; it's why Ben 10 has spawned four-spin offs (or five? I've lost count) and two movies and it's why Sym-Bionic Titan got canceled so quickly.

This is the same thing; this is a 2 hour commercial meant to generate publicity for a line of merchandise that's going to fly off the shelves because kids love planes (hell, I love planes) and they'll want to get figures of Dusty and El Chupacabra and everyone else. Disney knows they can sustain this by sales alone; they don't need to put effort into making it enjoyable because Disney's one of the greediest corporations and they're always out for blood and money (and probably blood money).

Really? Because I watched some of the newer episodes of Pokemon a little while back, and I actually thought it was kinda decent.

Out of all the Pixar movies to make a spin-off out of Cars is the worst. Cars 2 was the first rotten Pixar film according to Rotten Tomatoes. But I'm not gonna hate it just yet until I've seen it. Better to have your fingers crossed and stay positive.

• Like 2

Sure, it'll be a moneymaker. That doesn't mean it'll be of high quality.

I never implied it'd be high quality, though, and Disney knows it's not going to be high quality (otherwise it wouldn't have originally been direct-to-DVD). If it was going to be high quality then Pixar wouldn't have been so adamant about not making it. It's being made to push merchandise, and for that reason alone it makes perfect sense why Cars is getting a spin-off.

Couldn't Disney at least TRY appealing with everyone? More people = $$$$

Just like Nintendo with Mario; they couldn't care less about making good stuff now an just want to milk THE SAME SERIES.

And don't say Super Mario 3D World is not milked becasue of a Cat Suit, same enemies, same level design, past concepts is not something new to me.

Planes is like Super Mario 3D World. It's just like Land/Cars, but it has a different suit (cat suit/planes)