• Advertisement

Season 4 v.s Season 8! Round 3: Music!

Young Nug

So, there's a lot of debate. Which Season is better? Season 8 or Season 4? It's time for a breakdown. Inspired by a topic on SSMB, we're gonna compare each Season in a different category each round, and we'll see who wins at the end. So, without further ado, let's begin!

Round 1: Writing

953221.jpg

SpongeBob's Fourth Season is really at odds, because the first half has really strong writing, while the second half has weaker writing. The way SpongeBob acts is generally okay, although he screams way too much, and things are really exaggerated. There are episodes that really mess up the characters in this Season too- Good Neighbors, Squid Wood, and Rule Of Dumb are big examples. But, there's still a lot of great writing in the Season, like Where's Gary, and The Lost Mattress. It's a hard one.

spongebob-560x315.jpg

Meanwhile, with Season 8, it's not hard. The writing is good and consistent all the way through. There are a few weaker episodes towards the end- Move It Or Lose It and For Here Or To Go are good examples- But there aren't any awful character damaging episodes (except one, but it's still alright) like in Season 4, and the rampant inconsistency is nowhere near as apparent here. It's solid all the way through. Season 4's best is better than Season 8's best, but Season 4's worst is much worse than Season 8's worst. The characters are much more tolerable in Season 8, as well. 

Not much of a contest- Season 8 wins here for me. Who do you think wins? Explain your choices! We'll move onto the next round and topic of discussion soon. 

Discuss.

• Funny 1

So, there's a lot of debate. Which Season is better? Season 8 or Season 4? It's time for a breakdown. Inspired by a topic on SSMB, we're gonna compare each Season in a different category each round, and we'll see who wins at the end. So, without further ado, let's begin!

Round 1: Writing

953221.jpg

SpongeBob's Fourth Season is really at odds, because the first half has really strong writing, while the second half has weaker writing. The way SpongeBob acts is generally okay, although he screams way too much, and things are really exaggerated. There are episodes that really mess up the characters in this Season too- Good Neighbors,

WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO LIKES GOOD NEIGHBORS!??! FUN FACT: IF THIS IS HATED FOR SQUID ABUSE, I HATE IT TO THE DEATH BUT I LET IT SLIDE THIS EPISODE!

• God Himself 1

Pretty great analysis. Season 4 started out strong, but began to deteriorate around halfway through until it was just absolute garbage that they were putting out. 

Season 8 had some bad guys, but had heavy hitters that can definitely compete with Season 4's best, and are even on par with Season 3 episodes (IMO). Season 8 was far steadier in terms of writing than Season 4 was. 

• Funny 1

Now that the writing portion is done, it's time to move on to the next topic:

Round 2: Animation

The_Flying_Dutchman_Ha_Ha.gif

Season 4 has great animation. The above image definitely qualifies as some of the best animation the show has ever had. Episodes from the beginning of the Season seriously feel as if the show had some money leftover from the movie and poured it into the animation budget. The designs are all fluid and every character moves nicely. Best examples of animation: Patrick SmartPants, Fear Of A Krabby Patty, Ghost Host

spongebob-177a-new-customers-clip.jpg?fo

Season 8 on the other hand, doesn't have much going for it. It comes after a time where the designs had stiffened up and the animation had become cold and sterile. Season 8 isn't Season 6, no, and it seems as if in this Season, the animation was trying to get nice and softer, less dead and mechanical. And at some points, it works. Some episodes are animated rather nicely: Home Sweet Rubble, Pet Sitter Pat, Hello Bikini Bottom, and Treats are really nice looking. But Season 4 wins because the animation is so much more fluid to me.

Your thoughts?

• God Himself 1

I always thought that before season eight we saw much more off model and movement on SpongeBob. Even though I didn't like some episode's animation (for example Fear of A Krabby Patty) it was interesting. I'll just go with season 4.

Season 4 wins the animation department! Now for the third round!

Round 3: Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAurZm59s38

Season 4 was the start of newer music in the show (the music played above is basically Season 4's theme), and because this is the first Post-Movie Season, it still has some pre-movie tunes. I like the newer tunes they introduce, as well, they're very catchy.

The title card music of that episode is, to me, the theme of Season 8. I honestly prefer that Season 8 uses more original music while still using some APM. There's a lot less APM, but there's still some in there, and there are some really nice original tunes like that one.

Season 8 wins this round for me. You?

• God Himself 1