• Advertisement

The Purge

Old Man Jenkins

The basic gist of this movie is that the United States is thriving with exponentially low crime rates and boasting only a one percent unemployment rate all because for one night a year for 12 hours, all crimes are legal, be it murder, rape or anything in-between. This sounds like a pretty cherry idea, but it just comes of as very Stranges-esque, right down to the ridiculous mask-wearing, murderous psychopaths trying to invade a house. I really hope there's more to this movie than something this plain. You have an insane plot that can go places, they should flesh it out for what it's worth. But yeah, might see this eventually when it comes out.

I'll probably see it. But the plot is sorta dumb- The initial concept of legal crime one day a year is amazing....But then they waste it by keeping the entire movie relegated to a house. :P It'd be a lot more exciting if the movie was about a family trapped outside during the Purge rather than inside, y'know?

But this still looks pretty sick.

• Like 1

Sounds like an awesome and interesting plot for a movie, but I would seriously hate for something like this to happen in real life :P .

Already made a thread for this, but I seen it last night and thought it was a pretty good popcorn flick. Sure, they could've done much more considering the plot it laid out on the table, but I felt they did enough by it. It wasn't completely Strangers-ish as I thought it would've been, which was a good thing for me.

I went ahead and merged both threads.  Still plan on giving this a shot just for it's premise alone.

You really like merging threads, Clappy.

Either way, that Purge mask scares the hell out of me.

The expectations were set too high. I'm sure it's a decent film.

I don't think that's it at all. Not a lot of people were hyped for this, I think. The trailer gave away that all (or most) of the movie takes place inside the house, and that's pretty boring.

The writers didn't explore the "purge" enough to warrant a whole movie being based on the concept, which is admittedly really interesting. If the children had ran out of the house (for whatever reason) and the parents had to go out after them I think more people would've been excited because then it shifts dynamics; it goes from a "call is coming from inside the house" movie to a "we're doing this because you're here" movie (so taking this route would essentially make the movie The Strangers if The Strangers took place outside). The family would've had to run all over the neighborhood, house to house, trying to get away from all these crazy people that are out and about trying to kill all the innocent people who were foolish enough to be outside during the purge. It becomes intense and dramatic, and it gives better character development and a better theme - how far does this family go to ensure their safety? Their actions give them no repercussions, but, morally, can they live with the fact that they had to kill other people - who also most likely have families - just to live until the morning? Do they still try to protect the innocent people like them from being killed even though there would be a higher chance of them attracting a crowd of killers?

I dunno. If there's a sequel I hope they do it more open-world style because it would be a lot more interesting than watching a family inside their house for an hour and a half.

Disclaimer: I still haven't seen it, I'm just going off of reviews.