• Advertisement

SpongeBob Animation

The new animation is going very well. It's already quite long, and I haven't even finished one-quarter of it.

I'll make sure to post a preview on this thread sooner or later, but for now you can find the newest preview here.

• Like 1

Because Fileize has stopped working I will now have to locate another image hosting service. :( I do have all the image files for each animation stored away on my laptop, though, so hopefully reuploading all of the images will be a quick and relatively painless process. :)

Also, maybe I'll make another animation soon. Who knows? :o

Yeah%2C_yeah.gif

excerpt from the animation - doing some more work on it atm.

(god that lipsync is awful)

Okay, I totally had this same problem when I started out so I'm gonna give you some advice so you can blow people away with your lipsyncing:

Look in the mirror and say the alphabet. Your mouth hardly moves, because the sound is created in your throat/vocal chords, not your mouth. Say the line you're trying to sync and look in the mirror, too (or just feel the movements) - your mouth doesn't move much at all (I know because I just said it out loud). All you need to make a convincing lipsync is an open position, a close position, and an "o" position (there's also the "L" sound, which you need to show teeth for and have the tongue curl on the back of them, which I count as like half a position). Your mouth will hardly (if ever) close all the way when you're saying a sentence, so you don't need to close it all the way after each word, you just have to bring it up halfway between the initial closed position and the first open position (so, for example, "yeah, yeah" is close, full open, halfway, full open). Western cartoons like to exaggerate it sometimes (The Last Airbender, Korra, and The Boondocks I think are good examples), and it works because that's the style, and you'll exaggerate it if you're making a point that the character is enunciating the word (Patrick Smartpants is a good example of this happening, because it happens twice almost in succession - the animators sort of play with Patrick's mouth by showing his teeth when he says "adagio adante", and then they do it again when Spongebob says "BELCH-DUH-ING"). You'll get more comfortable with lipsyncing as time goes on, but for the moment you should pay attention to shows like Family Guy and American Dad because they do very little animation but they get a way with a lot, especially when it comes to lipsyncing. It might not be the style you're trying to do (it probably won't be, actually), but it still works as a good intro.

Also, if you haven't already, watch the HappyHarry HuHa2 How-To tutorials on the HuHa2 YouTube channel. I recommend watching all of them, since it'll only take about 3 hours and it's probably the most informative free tutorial on the Internet, (I learned more from that series than I did in the entirety of my first semester in animation) but he does have one specifically for lipsyncing. I think he might explain it a bit differently than how I did, but I was taught the three positions thing from one of my professors that worked as a board artist for Kids Next Door so I trust his knowledge too.

Okay, I totally had this same problem when I started out so I'm gonna give you some advice so you can blow people away with your lipsyncing:

Look in the mirror and say the alphabet. Your mouth hardly moves, because the sound is created in your throat/vocal chords, not your mouth. Say the line you're trying to sync and look in the mirror, too (or just feel the movements) - your mouth doesn't move much at all (I know because I just said it out loud). All you need to make a convincing lipsync is an open position, a close position, and an "o" position (there's also the "L" sound, which you need to show teeth for and have the tongue curl on the back of them, which I count as like half a position). Your mouth will hardly (if ever) close all the way when you're saying a sentence, so you don't need to close it all the way after each word, you just have to bring it up halfway between the initial closed position and the first open position (so, for example, "yeah, yeah" is close, full open, halfway, full open). Western cartoons like to exaggerate it sometimes (The Last Airbender, Korra, and The Boondocks I think are good examples), and it works because that's the style, and you'll exaggerate it if you're making a point that the character is enunciating the word (Patrick Smartpants is a good example of this happening, because it happens twice almost in succession - the animators sort of play with Patrick's mouth by showing his teeth when he says "adagio adante", and then they do it again when Spongebob says "BELCH-DUH-ING"). You'll get more comfortable with lipsyncing as time goes on, but for the moment you should pay attention to shows like Family Guy and American Dad because they do very little animation but they get a way with a lot, especially when it comes to lipsyncing. It might not be the style you're trying to do (it probably won't be, actually), but it still works as a good intro.

Also, if you haven't already, watch the HappyHarry HuHa2 How-To tutorials on the HuHa2 YouTube channel. I recommend watching all of them, since it'll only take about 3 hours and it's probably the most informative free tutorial on the Internet, (I learned more from that series than I did in the entirety of my first semester in animation) but he does have one specifically for lipsyncing. I think he might explain it a bit differently than how I did, but I was taught the three positions thing from one of my professors that worked as a board artist for Kids Next Door so I trust his knowledge too.

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep it in mind. :D Suddenly I remember reading about lipsynch in The Animator's Survival Kit ages ago. I'm going to go reread that section.

Did you make the animation in your signature? Because it looks amazing. :)

I did indeed! It was quite a while ago, though, and I haven't animated as much in recent times due to computer problems, so my skills might not be as good as they were Back In The Day. Glad you like it though! :D

• Like 1