• Advertisement

And In Entertainment News...

terminoob

She looks like a question mark? Now that's PG.
Oh really?

Her image is showing up here, I don't know about you. :P

EDIT: Oh wait...I see what you did there...

-The first newsbit is the one that I am most excited for! A sequel to "The Muppets" is now in the starting process. James Bobin will return to direct and Nicholas Stoller will return to write. However, Jason Segel won't be a part of the writing process, but that does not mean it isn't possible he will come back to star.

-Peter Craig (The Town) has been hired to write a script to Top Gun 2. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer and possibly director Tony Scott both want the sequel. That doesn't mean we do...but at least some of the talent sounds promising.

-Scarlett Johansson is going to star in "Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho"...and no this is not a special feature or a documentary. It's an actual movie. I swear that Hollywood is getting lazier and lazier on movie ideas. I call dibs on "Orson Welles and the Making of Citizen Kane".

-Writer/director Nicolas Winding Refn and actor Ryan Gosling are teaming up again after being successful with Drive. They are now making a Thailand western called "Only God Forgives".

-Producer Neal H Moritz (Fast and Furious movies, 21 Jump Street) is going to make a movie based off valiant comic character Bloodshot.

-Robert Luketic's new movie "Brilliant" is a thriller about “a small-time criminal who partners with a female thief to pull off a daring diamond heist.” No word on who is going to be the female thief, but Gerard Butler and Eric Bana are attached to star.

-Jared Hess (Napoleon Dynamite) has been hired to direct Disney's The Pet, which is about a man who gets kidnapped by aliens and then adopted to be an alien family's pet. So yeah...

-The red band trailer for Andy Samberg (yes!) and Adam Sandler's (ugh...) new movie "That's My Boy" is online. Yep, it's not often Adam Sandler does a R-rated comedy. At first I was excited when I read the script comes from Happy Endings creator David Caspe, with a rewrite by Ken Marino and David Wain, which is promising. Then, I saw it was a Happy Madison production...and my expectations decreased drastically.

http://www.slashfilm.com/thats-boy-red-band-trailer-adam-sandler-andy-samberg-fbombs-strippers-lots-bodily-fluids/

For those who are interested....

-A teaser for Despicable Me 2 has been posted. It is pretty easy to find, so I won't link it. You aren't missing much though, unless you like to watch those little yellow Minions sing a rendition of "Barbara Ann".

-Finally, I'm going to post the trailer for Tim Burton's remake of his 1984 short, "Frankenweenie" which has been made into a full length movie. As a Tim Burton fan, I can't wait.

Due to a slow news day, I'm going to talk all about the domestic weekend box office:

-The Lorax will be the number 1 film of the weekend, but the amount it took in this weekend is shocking. The current estimate is 70.7 million. To put this in perspective in terms of box office history for the month of March, only Alice in Wonderland (about 116 million) and 300 (70.8 million) have made more. Once the official numbers are announced, The Lorax could possibly have the second biggest March opening of all-time. How did this make so much money? Well for starters, the family movie options at the moment are weak with only Journey 2 as competition. Second, there hasn't been a real animated movie on the market since December (Adventures of Tintin). Third, the name Dr. Seuss. Dr. Seuss has such a huge following and the movies based off his books have been financial successes no matter how good (Horton Hears a Who) or how bad (live action Cat in the Hat) they are. My current guess is that this makes at least 200 million with a chance for much more since there is no real family movie competition until Mirror, Mirror (Tarsem Singh's Snow White movie) comes out.

-Project X comes in at number two with about 20.8 million. While this is around the same opening weekend as Chronicle, this comes to show that there is money to be made in the found footage franchise. I swear I am going to be sick of found footage films real soon (probably next weekend with Silent House), but if there is money to be made, Hollywood will keep making these damn films.

-Act of Valor comes in third with 13.7 million. It fell about 44 percent, so it's legs were decent. My guess is that this makes 65-75 million at this rate.

-Tyler Perry fell on his face, like usual with second weekends for his movies, with 7 million. And he will keep making movies since his films are so damn cheap to make.

-Safe House is officially over 100 million domestic and is starting to catch up with The Vow, which the latter had the larger opening weekend. Both films currently stand at 108 million and 111 million respectively, but The Lorax will probably end up making more than both of those to be the new highest earner of 2012.

-Journey 2 collapsed due to The Lorax making much more than expected. While Journey 2 still beat it's budget, it's chances of outgrossing the original are very slim now. It currently stands at 86 million, while the original made 101 million.

-This Means War still has a chance of outperforming Ghost Rider 2, which the latter had a higher opening weekend, but has been free falling.

-The Artist got its post Oscar bump, which is a 4 million estimate weekend. It still stands at 37 million in terms of domestic gross and will be one of the lowest earning Best Picture winners in recent memory.

-After previously reporting that Jason Segel will have no part in the screenplay for the next Muppet movie, it is now official that Jason Segel won't be returning to the sequel to act either. He said that he has left The Muppets in good hands for a sequel.

-Angelina Jolie does not want a sequel to 2010's Salt and will not have any involvement if the sequel follows through. I don't even know if I wanted to see a sequel, let alone the original.

-For all you Human Centipede fans, the third and final part of this trilogy (Final Sequence) will star Dieter Laser (Dr. Heiter, the antagonist from the first one), Laurence Harvey (Martin, the antagonist from the second one), and Tom Six (the director of the franchise). Well there are the actors who will be the parts of the next centipede.

-Chinese softcore film "3D Sex and Zen" which was somehow released as a motion picture, will now have a sequel coming to theaters which will be in 4D. I could talk about the things that we could smell and experience, but I would possibly be breaking SBC rules in the process, so I will reword it in one sentence with the intention of being misconstrued. I guess we all could experience super happy fun time.

-Emmy award winning writer Danny Strong (Recount) will be writing the script for The Lost Symbol (aka the follow-up to The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons). Also expected are Ron Howard to return as director and Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon. As a fan of Dan Brown's Robert Langdon trilogy, I've hated the movies. They are ridiculously dull and just lazily made. I have wasted my money in hopes that the movies would at least be decent, but nope. Both have been mediocre. I have no hope that The Lost Symbol, which is the worst of the books, will be the best movie of the franchise.

-Owen Wilson and Tina Fey will star together...in a drama? Currently named "Admission" this will be directed by Paul Weitz (Little Fockers...ugh). I think they are "serious" about this not being a comedy.

-In a recent interview, Will Ferrell confirmed that Step Brothers 2 is ready to start shooting as soon as this fall with a possible release date sometime in 2013.

-In the same interview, Will Ferrell confirms that Anchorman 2 is dead.

-With Cartoon Network's Dragons (obviously based off the movie How To Train Your Dragon) coming this year, Jay Baruchel has confirmed that he will be returning to voice Hiccup for the series. After two of the three movies he starred in bombed in 2010. His leading man career was obviously short lived, so I guess a return to television had to come at some point.

-Comic-Con 2012 is sold out. This sucks since I was seriously considering trying to find a way to go this year.

-One of the best conceptual artists in cinema Ralph McQuarrie has passed away. While he has done many films over his lifetime, most notable was that his pre-production paintings helped define many of the characters for the Star Wars franchise. He was 82 years old.

Wow it's been a couple days since I updated this thing. My apologies. Anywho before I get caught up on the news, I will have some thoughts on the Friday box office estimates.

-John Carter flopped. After carrying around about a 250 million budget and spending an additional 100 million in advertising, John Carter opened with a little under 10 million on Friday. I expect this to make at least 25-30 million this weekend. Normally that wouldn't be too bad, but with such a hefty price tag surrounding this, there is nothing else to say but that Disney spent way too much money on this project. FLOP!

-With John Carter flopping, that leaves The Lorax more than likely to repeat at number 1. While John Carter barely beat it out on Friday, I expect The Lorax to make more money on Saturday and Sunday thus repeating. Projections are putting it between 37-42 million for the weekend, which seems about right for a family movie like this. It will probably shatter the 100 million mark at some point tonight.

-Fellow new release Silent House starring the third Olson (Elizabeth Olson) is expected to make 7 million this weekend. Clearly, horror fans don't want to see real time footage, they just want their found footage. Still, you guys should check out Elizabeth Olson's acting ability some time. She is so much better than her older sisters Mary-Kate and Ashley and has a bright future ahead of her. Highly suggest Martha Marcy May Marlene.

-The other two top 5 movies this weekend will be Project X, which will probably pass Silent House and finish in third place this weekend, and Act of Valor, which has been holding well for a movie that has been panned by critics.

-The final note this weekend was about the new release that has been on the shelves for the past three years, Eddie Murphy comedy A Thousand Words. Congratulations Eddie Murphy. Your "new" film is a solid 0% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Still, this movie is expected to make 4-5 million this weekend and vanish into a Wal-Mart value bin near you soon after.

Now onto movie news updates:

-Chronicle director Josh Trank had a big week. First up, his surprising hit movie is now getting a sequel. Max Landis is working on the script, but don't expect Trank to return to direct (he may produce). That is because Josh Trank is currently finalizing a deal to direct a spin-off to Spider-Man. The long rumored Venom might finally come to fruition. As long as Venom isn't Spider-Man 3 cheesy, this could be intriguing.

-Fellow found footage film Project X is also getting a sequel. No comment since I expect the sequel to be just like The Hangover 2 in terms of originality. Only Todd Phillips can't make a sequel.

-Angelina Jolie's Malificent now has a Sleeping Beauty in Elle Fanning. Filming for this long rumored project will finally start in June.

-Clint Eastwood has found his two stars for the new version of A Star Is Born: Tom Cruise and Beyonce. Done right, this could be a great movie. However, Clint Eastwood's past couple movies he's directed have been critical and financial flops. Hope this turns the curve upwards.

-Instead of going into detail about each project, I will just say that Kristen Bell has signed on for three different movies this week. The most notable being Disney's long rumored adaptation of The Snow Queen, entitled Frozen. The other projects are an Adam Brody romantic comedy and some untitled independent film with Greg Kinnear and Lily Collins.

-A found footage film is in the works about the board game Ouija. Oh boy....another found footage film! (sarcasm)

-After making lots of money overseas and being a domestic hit, there will be another Journey movie. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Josh Hutcherson are in talks to return. The former wouldn't surprise me, but the latter kinda does especially if The Hunger Games becomes a huge hit (which I expect it will).

-A sequel to Gnomeo and Juliet is coming....WHY! Oh it gets much worse. It is called Sherlock Gnomes and it is exactly what it sounds like. Damn you Hollywood...just damn you!

-Two more actresses have signed on for The Evil Dead remake. Jessica Lucas (tv remakes of 90210 and Melrose Place) and Elizabeth Blackmore (Legend of the Seeker) are signed on to play...you guessed it. Friends of the main character.

-Halloween 3D, which has been pushed back for a while now, has been placed on the shelves. Never a good sign for any movie. I guess this could have been worse without Rob Zombie.

-Not really movie news, but Kill Bill and Reservoir Dogs star Michael Madsen has been arrested for child cruelty. The actor was intoxicated and fighting with his son (who didn't require medical attention). Madsen's statement to Police: "If he hadn't of done what I told'em not to do...."

-This might be the most hilarious news bit of this post and of course I am going to save it for last. From the guys who wrote The Pacifier and Herbie: Fully Loaded, comes "Action No. 1". Now what is this you might ask? Well the script tells the true story of how a "group of nerds" attempted to steal Nicolas Cage's cherished comic book Action Comics #1, the comic book in which Superman makes his debut, which was eventually recovered last year when it was found in an abandoned storage locker. Believe it or not, Nicolas Cage does not want to play the role of Nicolas Cage. So Lionsgate wants to cast someone else to play Nicolas Cage. I don't know what is funnier. The movie being centered around Nicolas Cage's comic book or the fact that Nicolas Cage doesn't want to portray Nicolas Cage.

I have a lot of news to report on due to the week of no SBC. Anywho...

-A lot of trailers have been posted in the past week. Instead of posting every individual one, let me just give some thoughts on some of them.

-Prometheus - GOD YES! I honestly cannot wait for Ridley Scott's return to sci-fi and this trailer only makes my anticipation grow.

-Dark Shadows - Honestly not what I was expecting. Seems intriguing, but Johnny Depp seems to be playing the same character he has been in his previous collaborations with Tim Burton, so I'm gonna pass.

-Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Historically inaccurate, yes. Intriguing premise, definitely. I still feel like I need to see more though.

-Chernobyl Diaries - A found footage horror movie with young tourists looking around the Chernobyl nuclear reactor? Oren Peli is involved, so it could be good. However, one of those young tourists is Jesse McCartney, so I can expect the acting to be bad.

-What To Expect When You're Expecting - I'm expecting a over-cliched chick flick, though I do admit that they have assembled an impressive cast list.

-As for new releases this past weekend, nothing much else to report on. Will Ferrell came out with some spanish comedy and it was a surprise earner at the box office. John Carter continued to flop. The Lorax continued to rake in tons of money being the only family movie on the market. However, the number one earner this weekend was 21 Jump Street. While this comes as no surprise, it took in 36 million dollars and got very good reviews. That's what surprises me the most. I am definitely considering checking this out on DVD now.

-With the somewhat surprising box office of The Lorax, Universal and Illumination Entertainment are making a CGI film of The Cat in the Hat. I don't blame them for wanting to make another Dr. Seuss book into a film. I mean hey, anything can be better than Mike Myers parading around as the Cat in live-action.

-July 19, 2013 will bring us the 3-D re-release of Jurassic Park. This is just in time to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the movie as Steven Spielberg and Universal continue to work on ideas for a fourth film.

-Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese are teaming up for the fifth time. This time they are adapting The Wolf of Wall Street, which will be based on the story of Jordan Belfort, a hard partying, drug addicted stockbroker who was indicted in 1998 for security fraud and money laundering.

-A documentary about Donald Rumsfeld is in the works...unless Rumsfeld resigns from this project too...

-Classic comic book, Mandrake the Magician, will be made into a big budget film production. I mean hey, what could go wrong with a big budget installment of such old properties? I mean look what happened to John Carter...

-Steve Carrell is set to star in "Magic Kingdom for Sale --- SOLD!!" which will be made into a series of movies. Honestly, I am not going to bother going into detail about the plot because it sounds a hell of a lot like both Night at the Museum movies.

-Stephen King's The Dark Tower's film rights have moved over from Universal to Warner Brothers. Universal gave up on the project due to budget concerns, but Warner Brothers still has hopes that they can work out all the kinks and still have Javier Bardem and Ron Howard return to star and direct.

-Former Disney CEO Michael Eisner's Tornante Company is producing a new movie based on the Garbage Pail Kids. New comer Michael Vukadinovich has been hired to write the screenplay for the film and YouTube poster PES has been hired to direct. This has failure written all over it.

-And finally...Lionsgate and WWE Studios are collaborating on reviving the Leprechaun films. Seriously, if you haven't seen any of the previous Leprechaun movies, they are so bad that they are hilarious. Anyway, this new installment might come as early as 2013. The superstar/wrestler attached to this project is rumored to be Ezekiel Jackson. As long as Warwick Davis comes back as the leprechaun and not Hornswoggle, this could be just like all the others and be so bad that it is funny.

RUMMY!!

And also, Ezekiel Jackson? Really? REALLY?! Of all the superstars on their roster they go with Ezekiel motherfuckin' Jackson? Why not go with a guy who can talk and act and has movie star good looks like, say, Cody Rhodes?! Sure he has a major lisp but it'll just add to the humor that Leprechaun churns out. Anyway, after watching that Lep marathon on Syfy on Saturday, I await to see what WWE can do with this.

Lots of news to report on, where do we start? How about the news that pissed me off the most today...

-A few months ago, Paramount and Nickelodeon brought on my personal punching bag, Michael Bay, and his shitty company Platinum Dunes to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle films. Now what kind of "genius idea" did Michael Bay announce today? Well, he wants to drop the MUTANT portion of the name. Why is that? Because Michael Bay wants to make the turtles....ALIENS!?!?! WHAT IS SO FUCKING COMPLICATED ABOUT THE ORIGINAL ORIGIN STORY THAT HE WANTS TO THROW 30 YEARS OF HISTORY RIGHT OUT THE FUCKING WINDOW??? For those who are not aware, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles started off as four baby turtles that fall into a sewer and come into contact with glowing radioactive ooze. With this new origin, Michael Bay is pretty much claiming each turtle is less of a fearsome, fighting toxic abnormality and more of a forest green extra terrestrial with nunchucks. Here Mr. Bay, let me help you with their new name: Adolescent Transmogrified Alien Ninjas. Because you are doing something completely different that will ruin the turtles forever. For the love of God Michael Bay, just stop tarnishing their name and use my suggestion.

Oh and my money is on Michael Bay casting Kate Upton as Shredder, just because he can.

Anywho...in other news:

-While it is still not clear if he is returning for the new film, Warwick Davis is against remaking Leprechaun. He goes on to compare the original Leprechaun to the original Psycho. I lol'd.

-Taken 2 finally has a release date...but since we are getting absolutely no teasers, posters, trailers, or anything worth noting right now, I feel that there is no way it will be released in October 2012, like it currently is pegged to do.

-Add the film, The Red Star, to the list of projects Chronicle director, Josh Trank, is attached to. The Red Star involves a story set in “an alternate USSR where futuristic technology co-mingles with magical elements.” I lol'd once again.

-Danny Glover and Mel Gibson. Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker. Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan...yeah let's forget about that one, sorry Kevin Smith. Now comes a new buddy comedy tandem that Paramount wants to build a potential franchise around. Seth Rogen and Kevin Hart...as cops set in the post-World War II era. Oh boy about the time frame, let the billions of racial plot lines commence.

-John Carter is apparently going to be a 200 million dollar loss for the company. All I can say is ouch. Disney is probably thankful that they are the parent company to Marvel Studios because The Avengers will probably make back all that money lost on John Carter in the course of less than a week.

-Tron 3 is officially under way. I wish I could be happy about this, but since most of the same team from Tron Legacy is coming back, my hopes are incredibly low.

-Michael Bay is telling TMNT fans to chill:

"Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

Did I just use the same story once again in my news report? Why yes I did. Btw, when he says they are just building a richer world, he needs to define the word richer. This is coming from the man who spends over half of the Transformers budget on "cool looking explosions". I don't care who Michael Bay brings in to help expand and create a more complex back story. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The turtles back story is not broke. I can't even believe that this mysterious creator isn't giving him any insight on the backstory. I am one disappointed turtle fan.

-Well, the Friday Box Office Estimates are in and guess what I shall be talking about first? Casa De Mi Padre...ah who am I kidding. The Hunger Games had the fifth highest opening day in box office history with 68.2 million. Now take this as you may, especially since the only four ahead of it are the three Twilight sequels and Part 2 of the last Harry Potter, but this is astounding. Box office projectors knew The Hunger Games was going to kill its competitors, but not by this much. Not only will it definitely have the largest March opening ever, but The Hunger Games is on track to have the largest opening weekend for a non-sequel or remake. No one knows how much this will take in just yet overall this weekend, but projections are indicating as low as 135 million and as high as 160 million. Hell, if it has a larger Saturday than it did Friday, The Hunger Games might surpass the final Harry Potter for the largest opening weekend ever. I will definitely report on this more once official estimates come in whenever I do my next report (might be Sunday afternoon, but more likely Monday so I can gather up more news to report on.)

-With the smashing success of The Hunger Games, studios are looking into more dystopian films. Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment got a headstart by announcing a new adaptation of George Orwell's 1984. Yes, this has been made into a film previously in...you guessed it, 1984. The more interesting dystopian film is an adaptation of The Fourth Realm trilogy by Warner Brothers.

-While the new Kevin Smith film, Hit Somebody, has not started filming yet, actor Nicholas Braun (who is set to star) stated that he thinks this will be Kevin Smith's greatest achievement ever...um yeah...I am pretty sure that Brian O'Halloran and Jeff Anderson would like to chime in their two cents for all Kevin Smith fans on which film is Kevin Smith's greatest.

-The Weinstein Company has officially announced that Quentin Tarantino's next film, Django Unchained, will come out Christmas day. That is all I want for Christmas.

-Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (28 Weeks Later) will no longer direct the adaptation of the hit game ‘BioShock’. That makes three directors dropping out of the chair (most notably Gore Verbinski). This is disappointing to me since I really do think if done right, BioShock could be one of the few video games that turns into a great movie.

-MGM is now declaring David Fincher‘s The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, which it co-financed, hit below studio expectations and is “a modest loss.” The studio wanted about 10% better returns on the picture, but the real takeaway here is what this effect this might have on further adaptations of Stieg Larsson’s Millennium novels. MGM has the option to co-finance the next two films and is interested in doing, so. But it wants “better economics,” which means cheaper films. And that could mean that David Fincher will not direct. Boo!

-After previously reporting that Jason Segel will have no part in the screenplay for the next Muppet movie, it is now official that Jason Segel won't be returning to the sequel to act either. He said that he has left The Muppets in good hands for a sequel.

-Angelina Jolie does not want a sequel to 2010's Salt and will not have any involvement if the sequel follows through. I don't even know if I wanted to see a sequel, let alone the original.

-For all you Human Centipede fans, the third and final part of this trilogy (Final Sequence) will star Dieter Laser (Dr. Heiter, the antagonist from the first one), Laurence Harvey (Martin, the antagonist from the second one), and Tom Six (the director of the franchise). Well there are the actors who will be the parts of the next centipede.

-Chinese softcore film "3D Sex and Zen" which was somehow released as a motion picture, will now have a sequel coming to theaters which will be in 4D. I could talk about the things that we could smell and experience, but I would possibly be breaking SBC rules in the process, so I will reword it in one sentence with the intention of being misconstrued. I guess we all could experience super happy fun time.

-Emmy award winning writer Danny Strong (Recount) will be writing the script for The Lost Symbol (aka the follow-up to The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons). Also expected are Ron Howard to return as director and Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon. As a fan of Dan Brown's Robert Langdon trilogy, I've hated the movies. They are ridiculously dull and just lazily made. I have wasted my money in hopes that the movies would at least be decent, but nope. Both have been mediocre. I have no hope that The Lost Symbol, which is the worst of the books, will be the best movie of the franchise.

-Owen Wilson and Tina Fey will star together...in a drama? Currently named "Admission" this will be directed by Paul Weitz (Little Fockers...ugh). I think they are "serious" about this not being a comedy.

-In a recent interview, Will Ferrell confirmed that Step Brothers 2 is ready to start shooting as soon as this fall with a possible release date sometime in 2013.

-In the same interview, Will Ferrell confirms that Anchorman 2 is dead.

-With Cartoon Network's Dragons (obviously based off the movie How To Train Your Dragon) coming this year, Jay Baruchel has confirmed that he will be returning to voice Hiccup for the series. After two of the three movies he starred in bombed in 2010. His leading man career was obviously short lived, so I guess a return to television had to come at some point.

-Comic-Con 2012 is sold out. This sucks since I was seriously considering trying to find a way to go this year.

-One of the best conceptual artists in cinema Ralph McQuarrie has passed away. While he has done many films over his lifetime, most notable was that his pre-production paintings helped define many of the characters for the Star Wars franchise. He was 82 years old.

Oh yes, he's doing the noble thing. One, he doesn't want to be typecast. And two, Segel says he would really rather not become a ''face of the Muppets.'' It's what any loyal Muppet fan would do. Now that he's made them famous again, Mr. Segel is going to let them regrow on their own. Very good, very good.