• Advertisement

I think I missed this fad

terminoob

19 hours ago, Katniss said:

What others shows have you been watching lately?

Just wrapped up a rewatch of How I Met Your Mother (during which I stopped for about a day to watch season two of Stranger Things) and currently doing a watch/rewatch of The Office because I never caught it in its entirety as it was airing, just some reruns here and there on TBS. Currently also watching You're the Worst, Survivor, Superstore, The Good Place, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and technically Riverdale but I'm letting those episodes pile up so I have something to binge later on. Got some of The Flash to watch from the sound of it, and I sort of started Penny Dreadful but I didn't get too invested in it so I'm gonna go back and try it again. I think I might get back into Brooklyn 99, but I was kind of falling off towards the end of last season and I haven't been missing it too much lately. I'm also super into Great British Bake-Off, but that's something I like to watch with my girlfriend so I have to resist the urge until I'm with her.

18 hours ago, Dr. WhoBruh said:

4 episodes so far but season 4 of Flash has been fucking good. It brought back season 1 feels to me and the main villain actually looks interesting. I love it?

Then it sounds like I gotta check it out.

On 1/4/2018 at 7:34 PM, Katniss said:

If you made a best shows of 2017 list, what would be on it?

I think some combination of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Catastrophe, iZombie, Master of None, You're the Worst, Stranger Things, and Superstore (which I really think is one of the best comedies on TV right now and more people should be watching it). I haven't really been digging this new season of The Good Place, especially in comparison to season one - I feel like the stories that can realistically be told are really limiting and there's no real way for these characters to grow and learn from their mistakes and it's lacking the strength of a workplace comedy like Parks and Rec. I have a whole spiel but I won't get into it. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is good as always but, much like The Good Place, it's not really doing it for me this season. I suppose I'd put those two on the list by default, just because there was nothing else and they aren't exactly bad in anyway. I also didn't love the MST3K revival, Friends from College (despite having some great talent in there), or the new seasons of Love and BoJack, but I think one of them would inevitably end up on the list by default as well, just due to needing to fill space (probably BoJack, just because it frustrated me less than Love and Friends from College and it didn't let me down as hard as MST3K).

I do still need to check out Jean-Claude Van Johnson and It's the End of the F***ing World, though, and judging from the trailers I'd imagine both of them would probably be in my Top 10.

16 hours ago, Katniss said:

I wasn't super digging this season of You're the Worst aside from a few episodes, but I'm hoping next season ends things on a high note?

I feel that. It felt really strange and there were bits I didn't really enjoy (I thought Johnny Pemberton's character was a pretty terrible addition [which is ironic because he's one of my favorite parts of Superstore]), but the bits I did enjoy - Edgar/Lindsay hooking up (and Lindsay in general getting her life sort of on track), Paul being ridiculous, Vernon in general, the season premiere and the finale, the little Honeynutz running gag of him never being around to rehearse, just to name a few things - I really really enjoyed and it was enough for me to overlook the less than favorable aspects of the season (like when Gretchen told that kid she'd blow him if he ate a can of cat food, and then almost did it). I typically really hate when a show/movie/book has the main group break up and go off on their own separate ways, and while it did bother me here (because I'm watching this show for the relationship between Jimmy and Gretchen) I thought it also served the plot really well and I was kinda able to stomach it because I think Jimmy and Gretchen definitely needed the time apart to come to terms with things about themselves/each other and their relationship, which wouldn't have happened if they were together.

I think this is a season that definitely needed to happen, for better or for worse, but yeah hopefully next season is a return to the season 1/season 2 vibe because those were both just amazing.

29 minutes ago, Butch Griffin said:

Been a while. How have you been for past couple of months? 

Slowly starting to get back into a kind of groove. I went through a really tough breakup and it put a damper on my whole year up until very recently. But, you know, I moved to New York a couple months ago, feeling good about my art, keeping myself busy by trying to craft the perfect breakfast burrito, been finding cool bars and fun trivia nights to go to, seeing friends semi-regularly, getting out and walking around, going to movies and events and whatnot, been writing some stupid poetry and coming up with comic ideas, get to cat sit for a friend next week. Things are pretty alright right now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Butch Griffin said:

i'm so sorry for your breakup but i'm also glad things are looking good for termi!

Have you got a chance to see Thor: Ragnarok? If so, any thoughts?

I haven't seen all of it - maybe half? My roommates were watching it one day and I caught it right as Thor and Hulk were fighting in the arena and then I watched from there until the end. Really good stuff. I'm glad they addressed the fact that he's the god of thunder and his hammer is just an extension of his powers. He's my favorite Marvel hero and I've been reading Thor comics for years and I was really frustrated for that entire half of the movie when he was like "I'm nothing without my hammer! I'm worthless!". I asked my roommate why he wasn't doing anything and he mentioned that they hadn't dealt with that development in the movies yet, which I guess I forgot - but I'm glad he finally uncovered his true power and I'd love to see where they go moving forward. I think a perfect fourth movie would be adapting the God Butcher arc and having everything ripped away from Thor after he's finally become the God he was always meant to be - not to mention Jane Foster picking up the hammer would be an incredible post-credits scene.

But yeah, action was great, soundtrack was great, visuals were great, humor was great. Hopefully Marvel recognizes the talent they have with Taika and they let him keep being weird. If they don't want to move forward with more Thor I would absolutely love to see him tackle a Nova movie. That'd be wild.

• Like 1

Thor was badass in Ragnarok and honestly his development was pretty damn great. I can agree that Thor wasn't the most focused or the most complex of his own movie but Taika made him an outstanding character and Thor was just as badass, If not more in Infinity War. I really hope they aren't done with Thor yet. I would love to see a forth movie with God Butcher. Never read that run before (still waiting for the whole run to be out in my country) but I know that run is considered modern classic. Although I doubt they'd do Jane Thor since Nataline Portman quit MCU. Ragnarok is easily one of my fav MCU movies and I hope you see the full thing?

35 minutes ago, Butch Griffin said:

Thor was badass in Ragnarok and honestly his development was pretty damn great. I can agree that Thor wasn't the most focused or the most complex of his own movie but Taika made him an outstanding character and Thor was just as badass, If not more in Infinity War. I really hope they aren't done with Thor yet. I would love to see a forth movie with God Butcher. Never read that run before (still waiting for the whole run to be out in my country) but I know that run is considered modern classic. Although I doubt they'd do Jane Thor since Nataline Portman quit MCU. Ragnarok is easily one of my fav MCU movies and I hope you see the full thing?

The whole run is killer, and it's still going. God Butcher was probably the best of Jason Aaron's original Thor run, and the first volume of Jane Foster Thor isn't super amazing, but once he gets the exposition out of the way it picks right back up with Thunder in Her Veins and it's been really fun. Plot can be a bit wonky at times and the dialogue isn't the greatest, but it's just so awesome watching Jane lead Asgardia to war and seeing Odinson riding around on a space goat and wielding a giant axe. Highly highly recommend checking out the whole thing when you can.

Portman was very much wasted in the role and deserved a much better treatment, so I would hope that if Marvel approaches her with the idea to come back and do a Jane Foster Thor movie she'd be open to it because she could be this badass woman thunder god that's proving she's just as strong as any other "true" God and she's doing what she's doing out of a sense of innate goodness and the hope to inspire change at the cost of literally losing her entire identity because becoming Thor is the only thing keeping her alive instead of doing what she's doing because she's an arrogant power hungry egomaniac that just wants people to worship her.

I'll probably catch the full thing eventually, but I'm also still really tired of superhero movies so I'm not sure when I'll sit down and re-watch it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JCM said:

Do you have a favorite DC hero?

Wally West from now until the end of time.

Others include Booster Gold, Zatanna, Black Canary, Constantine, and Swamp Thing. A new recent character I really love is Superman's son Jon - he hasn't gotten a lot of time to shine but he's really goofy and fun and the Super Sons book with him and Damian was one of the best things DC's put out in a while.

• Like 1

I have been collecting Wally West's iconic runs as Flash (thus far I read all four Mark Waid book, I'll get to rest of his run when it's all collected and later all of Morrison/Johns) and I have to agree that he has been so awesome and I'm so sad that they haven't treated him right these days, especially judging from rumors I keep hearing about Heroes in Crisis book. They should have give him a new run (there were two Captain America and Spider-Man runs at the same time once) since two Flashes can exist. He deserves so much better? ?