• Advertisement

I think I missed this fad

terminoob

How long did it take you to get comfortable with a brush pen? I've been using one for a couple days and I enjoy the look it gives my drawings, but at the same time, it feels so unwieldy that I feel like it'd be very tough to actually ink with it. GIVE ME THE ANSWERS 

54 minutes ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

How long did it take you to get comfortable with a brush pen? I've been using one for a couple days and I enjoy the look it gives my drawings, but at the same time, it feels so unwieldy that I feel like it'd be very tough to actually ink with it. GIVE ME THE ANSWERS 

Hm. This is a good question, because I don't remember if I ever got totally comfortable using one. It always felt just a little bit off to me. Like it was just a bit too fat for my hand. I think I used it every day for a little over a year before I switched to a regular brush (which is what I use now and have been for three years and I find it to be so much better in every way). Don't let it deter you, though - I was getting the hang of it while I was also doing animation, so my attention had to be split and I couldn't give the brush pen my full attention. I'm sure if I was just able to focus on inking with that I would've gotten more comfortable and confident a lot faster (namely because when I could devote all my time to inking with a brush I felt comfortable using one after about two months, compared to my other classmates who took year(s) to get comfortable with one). I know plenty of people who only use brush pen though, so it's really just personal preference

Just keep at it, honestly. But in a way that's purposeful. Part of the reason why I got so comfortable with a brush so quickly is because of how obsessed I got with practicing. Before I even touched a penciled page, I would take out my sketchbook and que up Farscape (I was making my way through the series at the time) - and I'd just make lines in my sketchbook. Just testing control, learning how to grip the brush correctly, consciously practicing going from thick to thin and back again, trying out different techniques for getting volume and whatnot. A lot of inking technique, trying to learn it all and get it right. For one or two episodes (depending on how I was feeling that day) that'd be the only thing I did, and when I had gone through half my sketchbook I'd start on the penciled page. Even with that, I'd have, like, anywhere from two-five copies of the page ready to go, because I'd want to keep trying until I got it right. Everyone else I knew would just go straight into a page without warming up first, and they were always frustrated with how it came out.

Now, don't be as insane as me - there's no reason for that. My insecurity and need to prove myself was getting the best of me and I was going crazy because of it. But, regardless, practice is still important. I'm not sure how many drawings you're doing a week, or how many hours a day you spend drawing, but whatever the numbers are, if you want to get good at inking you gotta bump the numbers up a smidge. An extra drawing a week, an extra thirty minutes a day. Something simple like that - nothing crazy.

2 minutes ago, Katniss said:

I saw The Big Sick and thought it was really good? Like "one of the best movies of 2017" good.

Ugh, so good. So funny. Ray Romano and Holly Hunter killed it, and Zoe Kazan is just too cute and charming (an aside: she's in a romcom that came out a few years ago called What If, opposite Daniel Radcliffe, she's as amazing in that as she was in this, if you're interested/haven't seen it yet). Kumail and Emily have such an amazing relationship, I'm so glad they were able to bring it to the general public and I'm so glad it's, like, legitimately doing well (as opposed to something, like, Mike Birbiglia's movie that came out last year, Don't Think Twice, which never really got going in terms of wide release). I hope it leads to more things for Kumail - it feels like he's been just shy of breaking into the spotlight for so long.

25 minutes ago, terminoob said:

Just saw it. Yeah, looks pretty good. Still not sure if I'm buying that that's actually Barry, though.

I mean they just showed his face multiple times in the promo and he's going fast af. That has to be Barry lol. I mean are there even a shapeshifting speedster we are unaware of? :P 

Just now, Dr. WhoBruh said:

I mean they just showed his face multiple times in the promo and he's going fast af. That has to be Barry lol. I mean are there even a shapeshifting speedster we are unaware of? :P 

Besides Thawne doing that exact thing in season 1? I dunno. I guess maybe more like... personality-wise I don't think it's Barry. That shot with Cisco saying he built a new suit was really weirdly done and the close-ups of Barry's face felt like they were indicating a change within him. The whole trailer felt ominous.

Who knows. I'm probably completely off-base. I haven't been following any news so I don't really know what's happening with it.

2 minutes ago, terminoob said:

Besides Thawne doing that exact thing in season 1? I dunno. I guess maybe more like... personality-wise I don't think it's Barry. That shot with Cisco saying he built a new suit was really weirdly done and the close-ups of Barry's face felt like they were indicating a change within him. The whole trailer felt ominous.

Who knows. I'm probably completely off-base. I haven't been following any news so I don't really know what's happening with it.

well you haven't seen most of season 3, so that's why you probably don't get it. Barry's gonna be very experienced and different in season 4, compared to him in first three seasons. Due to the fact that until the premiere, he's in speedforce for like 4-6 months? That's why he looks very weird in the trailers. And the title is literally "The Flash Reborn".

1 minute ago, Dr. WhoBruh said:

well you haven't seen most of season 3, so that's why you probably don't get it. Barry's gonna be very experienced and different in season 4, compared to him in first three seasons. Due to the fact that until the premiere, he's in speedforce for like 4-6 months? That's why he looks very weird in the trailers. And the title is literally "The Flash Reborn".

Yeah, I mean, I know he was in the Speedforce for a while. I'm not talking about him looking weird, I'm talking about the way they chose to shoot the close-ups and the Cisco scene. It felt different. Like, why bother doing a wonky POV shot of Cisco explaining the new suit if there wasn't something going on? Unless, again, I'm way off base and they just wanted to do something different for the sake of something different.

I don't know. I might just be in denial that this plotline got resolved so fast, and if Barry's gonna be more mature and experienced I would've rather seen that happen on screen than just be told that it happened.

18 minutes ago, terminoob said:

Yeah, I mean, I know he was in the Speedforce for a while. I'm not talking about him looking weird, I'm talking about the way they chose to shoot the close-ups and the Cisco scene. It felt different. Like, why bother doing a wonky POV shot of Cisco explaining the new suit if there wasn't something going on? Unless, again, I'm way off base and they just wanted to do something different for the sake of something different.

I don't know. I might just be in denial that this plotline got resolved so fast, and if Barry's gonna be more mature and experienced I would've rather seen that happen on screen than just be told that it happened.

yeah, usually they go quick on the season premieres, so If that's actually Barry, it wouldn't surprise me. Flashpoint arc was disappointing for me because it was just one episode with same old stuff we've seen on the show but I think I can let this slide since I have been waiting for good old wise Barry for a long time. Still I feel like they'll get out of Barry in the first episode but Barry still feeling confused and weird after staying in speedforce?

On 9/16/2017 at 6:10 PM, Dr. WhoBruh said:

yeah, usually they go quick on the season premieres, so If that's actually Barry, it wouldn't surprise me. Flashpoint arc was disappointing for me because it was just one episode with same old stuff we've seen on the show but I think I can let this slide since I have been waiting for good old wise Barry for a long time. Still I feel like they'll get out of Barry in the first episode but Barry still feeling confused and weird after staying in speedforce?

Yeah, that seems likely.

On 9/21/2017 at 7:07 PM, Katniss said:

I loved the season premiere of The Good Place. Have you seen it yet?

I did because you reminded me! I totally forgot about it even though I had looked up the premiere date a few days prior. This season has been wild. The second episode got a bit... odd and I kept questioning what the plot of the season would even be up until the last scene. I'm hoping that was the last reboot, though, because I think they really went whole hog on it in that episode and there isn't really any juice left in that anymore.

On 9/30/2017 at 11:46 PM, HelloMisterSpringtime said:

Do you know what looped animation is?

I'm assuming just a bit of animation that can continuously loop? That's what my professor had us do when we did that, anyway.

On 10/30/2017 at 6:01 PM, Dr. WhoBruh said:

have you caught up on The Flash s3-4? Also forget everything I said about getting back into Arrow. Season 4 problems are slowly returning in season 6, so it's not worth watching anymore?

I haven't. I will soon. I've got a lot of coloring to do (coincidentally on The Flash) so I'm just knocking back TV shows like no one's business. I'll be sure to get around to The Flash soon enough. Is the season any good?