• Advertisement

080a. Best Day Ever

CartoonCF

This episode is one of the most underrated SpongeBob episodes. I know Nick over-hyped this episode as a special but to be honest, I enjoyed watching this episode and I've seen worse SpongeBob episodes than this. I really liked listening the Best Day Ever song in this episode and I laughed at a few parts like SpongeBob trying to enter the concert, SpongeBob saying "This was suppsoed to be my perfect day. But then everything...", then a fish getting up and staring to leave and then SpongeBob saying "SIT DOWN" and the endİng. It's not one of the best season 4 episodes because some parts were boring in my opinion. I rate this episode 8.5/10.

• Like 2

My hate for this one has really died down, but I still do not like it at all and Wumbo pretty much hit the nail on the head why. It's childish mediocrity, nothing more or less. That was why I disliked it when it premiered, and why I still dislike it now. Yes, for a kids show, it's a competently made episode.

It is not a competently made special, however.

The most basic requirement for any special episode is that it needs to have a special plot, something you normally wouldn't see in the show, something original, or at the very least, something that expands on the show's universe, giving it at least slightly more meaning and depth. Essentially, it has to do something.

What does Best Day Ever do?

It gives us a plot so cookie-cutter and watered down for a younger audience it feels ripped straight from a children's book. Seriously, just...try imagining how this episode's story could've worked without Spongebob characters or even taking place in the Spongebob universe. You may be surprised. You could use its premise for any episode of almost any average kids show, and you'd have an episode that would work perfectly fine. It's safe, stock, and predictable from start to finish, not ambitious in the least. Those are never the kind of adjectives associated with a good special, even one from a kids show. What about for humor? Well, there are undeniably two or three funny gags, but they are nothing memorable, and more importantly, nothing special.

That is what Best Day Ever is to me. Nothing special. Just unforgivably forgettable. I don't care if I've already long been beaten to the punch by someone who's done a much better review on this episode on god-tier level like Aquatic Nuggets (please tell me if I was, I legit searched and couldn't find anything myself :P), because my goal with this review is not to be the top frog in the well. This is personal. Want to know why? Because it was after this special aired that my interest in Spongebob took a huge spill. I was ten years old, I kid you not, legit wondering why so many episodes from a season I was less than impressed with were ranked so high on that countdown, but willing to put my confusion aside to enjoy what it had all built to.

...I stared at the TV blankly almost the entire time, waiting for something special to happen...and nothing did. Rewatching the episode years later, I still stared at the TV blankly, trying to find something to really like about it...I still couldn't. First, normal episodes were generally doing nothing I found to be special anymore, and now...this.

Spongebob was just a show I watched when there was nothing else on after that. That marked the last time I would ever have high expectations for anything it put out. And sadly, I am also glad that was the last time, because mostly nothing after that was special to me either.

Even more sadly, I'm actually glad in the weirdest way that this special was forgettable. Because it's a bad memory that managed to slip my memory banks very easily. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go wait until I forget it again, which will hopefully be soon.