• Advertisement

169. Are You Happy Now? / Planet of the Jellyfish

Jjs Goodman

Rating?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• 5/5 Stars: This is the Greatest Episode that ever lived!!
    • 4/5 Stars: Chum is Metabolic Fuel!
    • 3/5 Stars: It seems we have reached an impasse.
    • 2/5 Stars: Boo.
    • 1/5 Stars: DUEGH! HORRIBLE!

Are You Happy Now-4/10

This Episode Was Pretty Bad The First Half Was Fine But The Second Looked Like Squidward Was Going To Commit Suicide But The Ending (What I Thought) Was The Best Part Of The Episode

The Planet Of The Jellyfish-10/10

This Episode Was REALLY Good It Was Bassiclly Invasion Of The Body Snatchers However The Title Is Based On Planet Of The Apes However I Would Like A Bit More Explanaition On What These "Jellians" Are
My Logo Pictures Are Down There

4ylOG1E.png

8mmTUU8.jpg

Edited by jjsthekid

There are actually three suicide implications in Are You Happy Now, but that's not just why this episode sucks. Everything here is done wrong! The characters, the plot, the ignorance of continuity, the cruelty, the aforementioned suicide implications, the ending, EVERYTHING!!

F++

^SOMEBODY never watched 20th century cartoons.

How about this one? It's a Walter Lantz cartoon from 1942. Couldn't find an English copy of it but it was up on YouTube at one point. Plenty of nooses in it and I saw it quite a long time ago, probably when I was like 12 or 13. I think from what I can remember the wolf was supposed to be hanged for something he did and he's trying to explain his story as to what really happened and it involves the Three Little Pigs.

http://www.4shared-china.com/video/3SEspHb3/ACTV_A_Tooflish_Table__1942__T.html

How about this one? It's a Walter Lantz cartoon from 1942. Couldn't find an English copy of it but it was up on YouTube at one point. Plenty of nooses in it and I saw it quite a long time ago, probably when I was like 12 or 13. I think from what I can remember the wolf was supposed to be hanged for something he did and he's trying to explain his story as to what really happened and it involves the Three Little Pigs.

http://www.4shared-china.com/video/3SEspHb3/ACTV_A_Tooflish_Table__1942__T.html

Let's think about this: Are You Happy Now didn't imply suicide accidentally, it outright MOCKED suicide, just as a desperate plea for a reaction.

Let's think about this: Are You Happy Now didn't imply suicide accidentally, it outright MOCKED suicide, just as a desperate plea for a reaction.

I honestly haven't seen the episode in quite a while and in all honesty, I don't even find that part as shocking as people have claimed it is......compared to One Coarse Meal anyway.

How? Did it say "oh those people with suicide should kill themselves"? Because I didn't see that in the episode and I'm sure it wasn't implying that it was mocking it. 

It's called "dark humor".

Er... no, there is NO way that this could be considered funny, in my opinion - it's way TOO dark to be comedic. The episode takes it in such a horrendously light tone - you DO NOT mess around with a subject matter like suicide. I've seen suicide jokes done right before, but this episode is how you do it WRONG. HORRIBLY wrong - it handles it IMMATURELY. If you're going to talk about suicide on a show - DO IT AS AN ADULT.
The writers here are INCREDIBLY immature in how it drives Squidward to attempt suicide!

Er... no, there is NO way that this could be considered funny, in my opinion - it's way TOO dark to be comedic. The episode takes it in such a horrendously light tone - you DO NOT mess around with a subject matter like suicide. I've seen suicide jokes done right before, but this episode is how you do it WRONG. HORRIBLY wrong - it handles it IMMATURELY. If you're going to talk about suicide on a show - DO IT AS AN ADULT.

The writers here are INCREDIBLY immature in how it drives Squidward to attempt suicide!

The suicide joke here wasn't funny because It was too predictable that Squidward doesn't commit suicide. I honestly saw worse suicide scenes on a TV show.

Or perhaps suicide is just no laughing matter at all if I were to avoid confusion between what is right and wrong.

Heck, I might as well distinguish every other suicide nods from every other piece of animation and consider them "wrong." The scene with Daisy Duck imagining herself with suicidal objects? Not funny. Blue Cat Blues, where Tom and Jerry are driven to suicide? Not funny. The balloons from Adventure Time? Not funny. Any suicide joke from the asdfmovie series? Not funny.

Ugh...sorry, but I'm honestly too confused to distinguish between a good suicide joke and a bad suicide joke and utterly sick of the implications that Spongebob is apparently "being offensive about suicide" to make a verdict. Bottom line, I don't think Spongebob is jabbing at suicide in the back too deep for its share of black comedy, yet I also don't think Spongebob's references to suicide aren't funny either. Now, should we at least ignore the whole suicide referencing from this episode and talk about anything else before this topic ends up getting locked?

• Like 3

It's of my opinion that it doesn't really matter what you're talking about in a comedy. It's a comedy, it's goal is to make you laugh by lampooning and trivializing things you notice in real life. A joke can be perceived as offensive by certain people, yeah, but at the end of the day, it's a joke. It's not meant to be taken seriously, and in a show like SpongeBob, it almost definitely doesn't reflect any actual views of the people involved. If your joke is funny enough, you can tell a joke about anything.

The problem with the suicide jokes in AYHN is that they aren't funny enough, they're random, out-of-nowhere, super-dark gags that weren't even really funny at all on first watch. It's a joke, and it's not anything to get worked up over, imo. It's just a joke with some weirdly dark subject matter that wasn't that funny and as a result feels kind of weird and doesn't pick up the slack for working with material as such.

That's really all there is to it.

• Like 4

It's of my opinion that it doesn't really matter what you're talking about in a comedy. It's a comedy, it's goal is to make you laugh by lampooning and trivializing things you notice in real life. A joke can be perceived as offensive by certain people, yeah, but at the end of the day, it's a joke. It's not meant to be taken seriously, and in a show like SpongeBob, it almost definitely doesn't reflect any actual views of the people involved. If your joke is funny enough, you can tell a joke about anything.

The problem with the suicide jokes in AYHN is that they aren't funny enough, they're random, out-of-nowhere, super-dark gags that weren't even really funny at all on first watch. It's a joke, and it's not anything to get worked up over, imo. It's just a joke with some weirdly dark subject matter that wasn't that funny and as a result feels kind of weird and doesn't pick up the slack for working with material as such.

That's really all there is to it.

YES.

I am sick and tired of people bashing this particular episode for being insensitive, when really, it was a simply flat joke to begin with. If Band Geeks were post-movie, everyone would be yelling bloody murder over its two death-related jokes. Just another excuse to hurl more hate at this show.

• Like 1