• Advertisement

The Muppets (2011)/series discussion

Deli

Ok now its only 99%? 77 great reviews to 1 bad review? The Muppets? I mean I am glad this movie is getting near universal praise, but this being one of the best reviewed films of the year? Who would have thought that? I wonder if this means this will get recognition during award season now.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/movies/arthur-christmas-vs-the-muppets-some-auteur-elves-are-smarter-than-others/article2245057/

They called a CGI movie that doesn't look that interesting better than The Muppets.

Crazy people.

And one of the reviewers (who had a positive review) said that he felt "warm and Fozzie."

Sounds like something Fozzie would say. AaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaah!

This is going to be long winded, but I don't care.

This movie. THIS MOVIE. This was everything I wanted and more. It was a work of art. An inspiring selection of music. An emotional and vulnerable creature. A true Muppet movie.

What can I say about how the characters were portrayed? Let me start with Kermit, my all time favorite Muppet. In this movie, we get to see a darker and sadder side of Kermit. He shows all of his emotions in this and really sticks his neck out for everyone. I believed every second I was in the theater that his pain was real. Kermit is no mere puppet. He is an actor, and a great one.

Miss Piggy was beautifully rebuilt from her last puppet. She was determined and loyal and... and... well, more Piggy than she's ever been since 1990. She didn't act like a self centered brat, or an angry boar, or the butt of numerous fat jokes. Not saying Eric Jacobson hasn't done a good job since Frank Oz, but I think this is where he found the true essence of Miss Piggy.

Fozzie was very insecure and nervous, but loyal and true, and full of hope. He got the best lines and wasn't treated like a background character (as seen in previous productions).

Gonzo was truly Gonzo, and not a sad little alien. He was outlandish, artistic, and a real friend.

And Walter, the new Muppet. Oh man, Walter. Walter is the heart and soul of the whole movie. He had Scooter's eagerness, Robin's sweet voice and nature, and Bean Bunny's naivety and optimism. He is truly a character with a lot of potential. He's a real trooper and the kind of person who sees good in everyone. Peter Linz portrayed him beautifully and really made him rival Kermit for the position of My Favorite Muppet Ever.

The music was great, too. From Life's A Happy Song, to Rainbow Connection, to Mahna Mahna. Everything about the music is flawless.

But the movie did have its downs. Kermit seemed to have thrown in the towel too quickly. He spends most of the movie moping. Not to mention characters like Rizzo and Pepe were almost nowhere to be found. Which is sad, because they truly are great characters, despite not exactly being members of the original cast (Rizzo came along in the 80s, and Pepe in the 90s). There was also a small amount of cross promotion for Cars 2, which distracted and annoyed me a little (see the movie, you'll know what I mean).

Flaws and all, this movie gave me hope. Jim Henson would be proud. So would Jerry Juhl. And Richard Hunt. And everyone who ever had no hope in the Muppets after the death of Jim, too. Now get off the internet and go see this movie. NOW!

I hope the Muppets aren't too cool for this generation. I saw The Muppet Movie, and though I didn't get a lot of the jokes, I can tell that there was a lot of effort put into it. Disney made a venture like this a couple of months ago with that Winnie the Pooh thing, and that didn't do too great in the box office, so the fate of this movie remains quite uncertain. I hope it's successful, though, because I'm pretty sure Deli would die if she didn't see a new Muppet film within the next decade.

Edit: Oh right, I also have The Great Muppet Caper recorded. Checking that out right now.

I hope the Muppets aren't too cool for this generation. I saw The Muppet Movie, and though I didn't get a lot of the jokes, I can tell that there was a lot of effort put into it. Disney made a venture like this a couple of months ago with that Winnie the Pooh thing, and that didn't do too great in the box office, so the fate of this movie remains quite uncertain. I hope it's successful, though, because I'm pretty sure Deli would die if she didn't see a new Muppet film within the next decade.

I'm sure that the movie will be one of the biggest hits of the fall, dare I say the whole year. Jim Henson would be so proud of how much emotion was given into this film, especially to his biggest creation, Kermit.