• Advertisement

Buying Older Game Consoles and Their Games

SI-LLY

Look!, I made a topic!

Well I've recently been interested in getting games and some consoles from the generations of consoles that are pretty much dead (gen 6 and before).

I would like to ask if anyone here is interested in such, and if so, which older consoles and games do you own. I'll state what older games and consoles I own and which I would like to get.

I own a PS2, Pac-Man World for PS1 (ps1 games work on ps2), 3 Gamecube games (which I play on my wii), and 4 Gameboy Advance games. I would like to get a Super Nintendo/Super Famicom, a Sega Saturn, and a Japanese PS1 (for a few import games, mostly platformers), and of course, games for already mentioned consoles (ps2, gba, and gc)

Edited by SI-LLY
  • Like 1

I recently been interested in playing old games and possibly buying some of those games. I mostly try them out in emulators because buying them can be hard sometimes. I've been interested in buying some Gamecube games i never had and possibly a PS2 since I missed out a lot on that, especially RPGs and the sort.

Collecting is great even though it can be an expensive hobby to have. SNES games are notoriously expensive even today but its what i'm more interested in compared with other retro consoles, save for the Gamecube and PS2.

• Like 1

Retro games are the shit. I used to have an NES with like, 35 games. I also had a SNES with a few games for a while. Used to have a Playstation 1 before it broke (CUZ IT'S A PIECE OF SHIT), but I still have all my favorite PS1 games to play on my Playstation 2, which I have the biggest library of games for right now, and my Playstation 3. I also have more than a few GBA games and even a few GB games.

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't buy any game console BEFORE the 16 bit generation, because there are a good number of 8-bit games that are NOTORIOUSLY hard, and even the ones that are enjoyable and have AGED well, are mostly available on Virtual Console anyways. For 16-bit, you can't go wrong with the Super NES, and the Game Boy Advance pretty much covers ALL of the Game Boy games (except for a few pinball games that use battery rumble capabilities). Those are my personal suggestions for retro systems.

I remember back in like 2012, I bought a shitload of PS2 games before Gamestop stopped carrying em. Made a dozen good finds and deals during that time. I've been getting back into collecting again recently, getting me mitts on any good PS1/PS2, original Xbox and GameCube game (and the occasional good gameboy game if I ever come across one) I can find at any Book Off/donation place I happen to go to. Mainly because I missed out on most Xbox games and pretty much all of what the GameCube had to offer, and I'm just continuing to add to my PS1/PS2 collection. Some of the stuff I've bought recently being Sheep Raider, Rugrats: Search for Reptar, Croc, Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee, Wario World, Pac-Man World 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, Yu Yu Hakusho: Dark Tournament, Blinx the Time Sweeper and Pokemon Silver (which happened right before the eshop release announcement).

• Like 1

I also have two games for the Xbox (Spongebob Movie Game and Simpsons Hit and Run), which I can play on my Xbox 360. (though I need a certain hard drive for the console to play original Xbox games, which I did buy, I have not received it yet) 

I'm also kinda interested in getting GB and GBC games, not sure which though.

16 hours ago, crushingmayhem said:

SNES games are notoriously expensive even today but its what i'm more interested in compared with other retro consoles, save for the Gamecube and PS2.

Japanese Super Famicom/SNES games aren't that expensive compared to US ones, though I don't know how much shipping would cost as you will most likely have these imported from Japan.

14 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

I personally wouldn't buy any game console BEFORE the 16 bit generation, because there are a good number of 8-bit games that are NOTORIOUSLY hard, and even the ones that are enjoyable and have AGED well, are mostly available on Virtual Console anyways. For 16-bit, you can't go wrong with the Super NES, and the Game Boy Advance pretty much covers ALL of the Game Boy games (except for a few pinball games that use battery rumble capabilities). Those are my personal suggestions for retro systems.

I don't plan on getting any consoles that came before Generation 4 unless I get one for free or for a really cheap offer, which would most likely never happen.

18 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

I personally wouldn't buy any game console BEFORE the 16 bit generation, because there are a good number of 8-bit games that are NOTORIOUSLY hard, and even the ones that are enjoyable and have AGED well, are mostly available on Virtual Console anyways.

First of all, you say that like there's so few NOTORIOUSLY hard games from the 16-bit generation. Second, you say that like there being a good number of 8-bit games that are NOTORIOUSLY hard is a bad thing. (smirk)

I had hella games for the SNES but that thing disappeared a while ago, still got my PS2 with the butload of games I got for it, which I think I may have the most games for, either that or it's about tied with my PS3, I got like a total of 3 Gamecube games, and for handheld all of my DS games disappeared as well lol.

Guest hilaryfan80

I own a few SNES games and the SNES itself, but I can honestly say that it's really not worth having it. The games are kinda crappy and honestly the games themselves are rarely worth it. Seriously. Also, the SNES collection is pretty cheap if you buy them from eBay. You don't have to worry about the quality of the cartridge because a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol will fix pretty much any cartridge for the NES and SNES. One of the most coveted games for NES, Paperboy, is only like $10 on eBay. Not too bad.

What I really like collecting is the Nintendo 64 games, but my brother stole the console from me. (d)

At one point, I had this glorious thing in my room:

Spoiler

osPF4cQ.jpg

Its weight was so unnecessary. :Laugh: These days, you can recreate arcade cabinets with a Raspberry Pi and a monitor, and your cabinets can hold multiple games on them, not just one.

Edited by jjsthekid