• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2016 Edition

Shark Tale

I'm confused that you're giving some three-way ties the span of 2 spots and others as one spot. If it works that's fine though. :I As for these, Summer Job made my list (albeit barely, at #24), simply for outright boredom, and I can say the same about the other two to a lesser extent. Just sucks to see Mr. Krabs waste so much of his potential character development on cheap shlock like dropping hundreds of dollars for a penny, put a ridiculous amount of time in stealing a single customer, and briefly glancing over his relation with Mrs. Puff. (although I do find some of that funny in an ironic way)

My list thus far:

24. Summer Job (#37)

14. The Card (#42)

12. Rodeo Daze (#48)

Summer Job - It's getting annoying only being able to think of the word "annoying" to describe this episode. So I'll just say that it agitates the nerves...in an annoying way. That litter joke wasn't even funny the first time.

Penny Foolish - I feel the reason for the hatred of this episode isn't just because the concept is simply...dumb. I feel the reason is because it's dumb and dull. Seriously...a flipbook?

Plankton's Regular - I actually used to like this one, but over the years of it, my enjoyment of it has waned. One customer? Are you kidding me Mr. Krabs? And the more I watched it, the more I realized how lame that twist ending was. 

• Like 3

SJ and PR I'm surprised to see as low...although that's probably the most deserving episode that I completely forgot about for some reason, it bothers me less as I've learned to tolerate it but still.

Summer Job - Awful, and no surprise, just another regular terrible Season 7 episode.

Penny Foolish - I used to like this one, but lately I've been pretty opposed to this episode lately.

Plankton's Regular - Yeah, a bad episode with a terrible ending that doesn't help it.

"Rodeo Daze", I don't really like it. "The Gift of Gum", made my list for being too gross. "The Cent of Money", made my list for blowing the characterization of Mr. Krabs being greedy totally out of proportion!

36. Are You Happy Now?

lw7jTea.jpg?1 

61 points. 6 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #5 - @Halibut )

On a fine day at the Krusty Krab, Patrick is behind the restaurant climbing out of a dumpster eating a Krabby Patty. The camera then pans over to SpongeBob, showing him reading the "Krusty Krab Schedule" book, much to Squidward being annoyed. SpongeBob then claims that the book has a list of "his happiest memories." Squidward takes the book and "accidentally" drops it on the grill. However, SpongeBob has multiple copies of the book in a cabinet, which he proceeds to get one. SpongeBob then asks Squidward if he has a happiest memory, in which he says, "No." Feeling concerned, SpongeBob tries to ask Squidward if he can help make a happiest memory for him, which he accepts.

First, SpongeBob takes Squidward to a concert; that did not go well, however, since the violin player accidentally shot Squidward in the eye with the violin bow. Then, both of them head to the Bikini Bottom Museum where one of Squidward's masterpieces is in the museum, which is praised by critics. Squidward is happy until a famous art critic named Fiasco burns his artwork with a flamethrower. In addition, after that, SpongeBob takes Squidward on a hot air balloon ride. That doesn't go well, since Squidward is afraid of heights, so SpongeBob tries to get Squidward down by popping the balloon (because the balloon has no heater to make it deflate) and both of them land on a mountain which is actually Mount Bikini, ruining Harold's chance to be the first one on the mountain. Then, SpongeBob, Squidward, and Harold slide off the mountain due to an avalanche. When SpongeBob and Squidward slide back to their homes, Squidward insists that he will never have a happiest memory.

Two weeks later, Squidward is left in his house doing nothing but being unhappy. SpongeBob then becomes even more concerned for Squidward and tries to get ahold of him, but to no advail. He then traps Squidward in a box, and takes him to the Krusty Krab, where he reveals that he created a party to cheer Squidward up. Unfortunately, SpongeBob failed to get anyone else to come, because some of them were busy or sick, so instead he made 100 paper-mâché life-sized models of himself. Squidward hates seeing more than one sculpture of SpongeBob in one place so he goes berserk, destroys all the paper-mâché sculptures, and claims this to be his "happiest memory."

Jjs: I don't find this one as bad as others (which isn't saying much since it was #16 on my list), but it is definitely one of the weaker Season 8 episodes. The suicide references aren't even what bugs me, as out of place as they are. For me, it fails in the comedy department. I didn't really find any of Squidward's misery amusing. Haha, he gets an arrow shot in his eye. Haha, Fiasco burns his statue. Haha, he...goes insane and destroys fake SpongeBobs? The ending itself is pretty lame. The whole plot is just mind-boggling. I know continuity doesn't matter in SpongeBob, but I know a lot of episodes would like to disagree with "Squidward not having a happiest memory". It's just a really unsettling, depressing (not in a good way), and unfunny episode from start to finish.

JCM: I don't think Are You Happy Now was a bad episode, and it's certainly not as bad as some of the worst instances of Squidward abuse, despite suicide references that may or may not be there. I didn't see them when I first watched the episode, and I'd much rather have subtle, harder to catch references than more overt ones like in One Coarse Meal. But that's just me. Feel how you want to feel about it.

35. Shuffleboarding 

jxmi4eZ.png?1 

63 points. 5 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #10 - @Brady Corduroy )

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are watching TV in Shady Shoals, when SpongeBob and Patrick suddenly appear and wake them up. Mermaid Man attacks SpongeBob with the "Mermerang," thinking he is a supervillain. In the resulting incident (caused by SpongeBob and Patrick), Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are injured and sent to the hospital.

While SpongeBob and Patrick go to the hospital to visit them, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy receive a call from the police commissioner, telling them that they will be celebrity guest contestants at the Bikini Bottom shuffleboarding competition. They are unable to attend in their condition, but SpongeBob then says both he and Patrick are certified Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy impersonators. They are given rings which produce rubber Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy costumes, and are told to immediately return them after the tournament.

After they win the shuffleboarding contest, they go to return the costumes, but Patrick convinces SpongeBob that if they do not save the town from evil, no one will. They begin throwing everyone they see in jail for completely unjustified reasons (including throwing away a Krabby Patty, chewing gum too loudly, and being "too old"). Eventually, they have arrested nearly everyone in Bikini Bottom, and decide to return the costumes. However, they see Man Ray entering a laundromat, and despite the fact that he is doing absolutely nothing wrong, they follow him in and arrest him after a fight scene, involving throwing Man Ray's head in the dryer, causing it to shrink. The jail is now so full of people that it literally explodes, causing people to fall down from the sky.

SpongeBob and Patrick return the costumes, and Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy leave the hospital, but are confronted by an angry mob of the people SpongeBob and Patrick wrongfully arrested, who start chasing them and SpongeBob and Patrick confuse them for fans.

Jjs: Even though I don't particularly like this episode, I'm not sure if I would've put it this high on the list, and this is coming from someone who used to really dislike this one. It's still flawed though. I never thought the abrupt plot switch was funny. Now, maybe if they had a more amusing plot in place of what we got, the plot change wouldn't have bugged me, but the second half is just pure stupidity, and not an amusing kind. SpongeBob and Patrick arresting people wasn't funny the first time they did it. I will admit Man Ray having a shrunken head was slightly amusing, but that's about it.

Fa: This episode, in retrospect, I may have overrated a tad bit (it was #10 for me), but not by a whole lot. The opening sequence starts off with SB not understanding how a boomerang works (which I find a bit hard to believe) and subsequently injuring Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. Due to this Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are unable to participate as celebrity guests so SpongeBob and Patrick go in their place as impersonators. The episode really gets bad when after the tournament (yep; we don't even see the namesake of the episode, usually not a good sign) Patrick decides he and SpongeBob must impersonate the superheroes and the rest of episode is spent with the two finding different and increasingly dumb reasons to arrest people, including Man Ray. Admittedly the fight with Man Ray was relatively humorous, but it was so quick sadly. At the end of the episode, the real Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are attacked by all the townspeople SB and Patrick imprisoned (ok, I get they were impersonating them, but it's a bit ridiculous no one recognized them at all). It's just a repetitive, dull episode to the point where I would have preferred to watch SpongeBob and Patrick play actual shuffle boarding instead of this episode.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 6

Hooray no ties

Are You Happy Now - Honestly can't remember this one as much either, but any image of Squidward with a chainsaw is gonna turn me away from it.

Shuffleboarding - Y'all see my thoughts above :P

• Like 1

Are You Happy Now - ı can see why people hate this one. It's pretty humorless but I like it for it's tone tbh. Once in a while, it's refreshing to see a sad episode. Yeah, I'm all for the comedy and all but still this was a nice change. It has flaws tho.

Shuffleboarding - I think Brady explained well, this episode sucks.

Are You Happy Now? took a brief stint as my #1 last year, and while I did place it a lot lower this time due to it being too mellow and sad to be that noticeable in hindsight (#21, although maybe that was too low), it's still... mellow and sad regardless. It doesn't feel like SpongeBob with it's lack of jokes, and it's treatment of depression and suicide was... realistically bleak. I know all about this sadness and I can't imagine others would either, even if one was healthy there'd still be too much sympathy for Squidward to laugh. Shuffle-Boarding just barely missed the cut, but I still find it stupid and uneededly mean, with an illogical "plot" to top it off. Skip it.

My list this far:

24. Summer Job (#37)

21. Are You Happy Now? (#36)

14. The Card (#42)

12. Rodeo Daze (#48)

"Are You Happy Now?" wasn't a high-ranking episode on my list, but I think it definitely deserves to be on this list, because Squidward doesn't deserve to be unhappy ALL the time. Besides, he HAS been happy in a few other episodes, so A.Y.H.N. really isn't serviceable as an episode that fits within "Spongebob Squarepants" continuity.

• God Himself 1

8 minutes ago, 4EverGreen said:

"Are You Happy Now?" wasn't a high-ranking episode on my list, but I think it definitely deserves to be on this list, because Squidward doesn't deserve to be unhappy ALL the time. Besides, he HAS been happy in a few other episodes, so A.Y.H.N. really isn't serviceable as an episode that fits within "Spongebob Squarepants" continuity.

What continuity again?

16 minutes ago, 4EverGreen said:

Implying spongebob should have continuty :Laugh:

Are You Happy Now? has never been an episode I've felt strongly about (how often do I say this?). It may not be very funny and I totally agree with Jjs on the lamesauce ending, but besides that, pfft.

Shuffleboarding is in every way, mediocre. Spongebob and Patrick are just too dumb in it to believe, and even discounting the abrupt plot shift, the writing is just...bah, bland. Just...meh.

17 hours ago, Dr. WhoBob said:

Implying spongebob should have continuty :Laugh:

Yeah the show doesn't have continuity, but with every episode there's an expectation of how the characters should behave. Most of the jokes are driven by the silly ways the characters interact. Squidward not having a happy memory isn't something that makes sense in the show's context.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, More said:

Yeah the show doesn't have continuity, but with every episode there's an expectation of how the characters should behave. Most of the jokes are driven by the silly ways the characters interact. Squidward not having a happy memory isn't something that makes sense in the show's context.

I guess you are right.

Posting four episodes to make up for some lost time. (one is missing a commentator, I'll add them in later hopefully)

Also, since people have been asking... The reason I didn't break any of the ties with this list is for two reasons: 1.) I asked people if they wanted them broken or not on Xat, and they chose the first option, and 2.) Clappy didn't break them last year, so I kept them for variety's sake. If you don't like it, I don't know what to tell you, since the countdown has started. I can say though there are only 3 ties left after this on the bright side.

Also, from here on out (after 31), 30 and beyond will allow up to two additional commentators, so don't panic if an episode you wanted was picked, since now you have another spot to grab it

34. Atlantis SquarePantis

z7o7ir4.jpg?1 

65 points. 5 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #9 - @More )

SpongeBob and Patrick are in JellyFish Fields blowing bubbles. Patrick tries to take pictures of the bubbles but they keep popping before the picture is taken. SpongeBob decides to blow a bubble that would last all day. SpongeBob blows a bubble that engulfs them both, and carries them into a nearby cave. The bubble suddenly pops as it makes impact with an ancient piece of gold. Eager to discover what exactly it is, they take it to the Bikini Bottom Museum where they (literally) run into Squidward. At first, Squidward thinks that SpongeBob and Patrick were planning to steal the first half of the amulet which is housed in the museum, but upon attempting to return it to its spot, he realizes that what Patrick and SpongeBob had was in fact the missing half. At this point, both Mr. Krabs and Sandy join them.

The pieces of gold are then reunited, which summons a luxurious bus (or 'van' as Squidward calls it) piloted by a robot and fueled by "song." During the song to fuel the bus, it is revealed that Plankton has stowed away in a compartment at the front of the bus and plans to control the lost weapons of Atlantis. Once they arrive there, (accidentally crash-landing in a topiary garden) they meet the king of Atlantis, Lord Royal Highness, LRH for short, who shows them the riches, knowledge, and art of Atlantis. Meanwhile, Plankton escapes from the compartment and sneaks into the vault storing the weapons. After looking around at the weapons, he chooses to commandeer a tank (seemingly at random) to start his diabolical scheme. SpongeBob and Patrick are about to see the world's oldest bubble

Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs enjoys the money vault, Sandy enjoys the science lab, and Squidward enjoys the hall of art (the rooms each had been planning to see). In the money vault, money, gold, and prized objects are found and mostly stashed in Mr. Krabs' pants pockets. In the science lab, Sandy enjoys the devices, a biomass-converting device that turns any household object into ice cream (a bug the Atlanteans have not worked out), a germ-fighting, interactive, micro video game, and makes an automatic feeding device. In addition, in the Hall of Arts, Squidward journeys through paintings, is modeled by painters, and even makes his own painting, claiming to have learned more about art in his short time in Atlantis than he did while at college.

However, everything goes wrong when SpongeBob and Patrick are left alone with the World's Oldest Living Bubble. The flash from Patrick's camera when he takes a picture of themselves with the bubble causes it to burst and the pair go to dinner and insist on leaving. When Patrick reveals their mistake, LRH tells them that the bubble they popped was a prop, but when he shows them the real bubble, Patrick takes a picture of it and it also pops. LRH is furious and summons the Atlantean Royal Guards to seize the gang, but Plankton appears with a tank. He fires the tank at SpongeBob, the gang, and the Atlantean Royal Guards, but is foiled when it is revealed that the weapon he had chosen only shoots ice cream. He jumps out of the tank and in frustration, kicks it, injuring himself. However, LRH seems delighted, saying, "This talking speck will make a fantastic replacement for our recently deflated national treasure!"

Finally, LRH loads SpongeBob and his friends back onto the bus and removes the amulet, giving it to one of his soldiers to dispose of to ensure no more "visitors like these." SpongeBob is the only one eager to return to Bikini Bottom and sings. His friends get sad and cry, but SpongeBob ignores and sings all along.

Jjs: Man. This episode. You know, there was once a time I used to defend this episode. Maybe not really "defend", but I tended to be more forgiving of it because I honestly never got the immense hatred for it. I'll admit it did disappoint me a bit as a child, but upon rewatches, I tried to be in the middle. I still don't really find this episode bad. But... I'm not really willing to defend it as much as I used to, admittedly. The special definitely has a lot of faults that I can see why people would hate it. I mean. The animation is nice. I don't think the songs are that bad. We got a nice change of setting. But honestly? Once you get down to it, the special doesn't really have a plot. The gang goes to Atlantis and sing songs about their character traits. That's it. No greater meaning or real character development. And there doesn't have to be, but honestly, there's nothing really there in the grand scheme of things. The gang goes to a room that they like and sing a song. Yay. SpongeBob and Patrick act like idiots and their whole trip goes sour. Oh and yay, Plankton appears at the end (who honestly could've been cut out entirely from this special) for an anti-climatic end. It all just kind of happens. Once their little adventure is over, I can't help but feel very underwhelmed. The special isn't as wasted as The Clash of Triton, but man, they still could've done more with Atlantis overall. And yeah, the Patchy subplot is probably one of the worst in the entire series (Even as a kid, it honestly bored me), although I won't let that affect my judgment on the actual special. The special doesn't bug me overall. It doesn't really. It's an innovative idea for the time period of late Season 5. But it feels like it could've just done so much more.

More: At one point, this used to be the one. This was arguably the most anticipated episode at it's time, period, and since has topped more worst lists and rants than any other episode. Even the writers regretted making it. And obviously as it's in the 40's now, that's no longer the case. What happened? Did we just get tired of it? I honestly can't say because I'd probably defend it as a naive child, but now I find it fascinating. There was so much that the episode could have done. You've got such a fantastic premise, some of the best people in the industry from highly skilled animators to David Bowie of all people (like, why doesn't he sing in this musical, that's like getting a taxi only to drive it yourself), and it screwed up. Even on a surface level the animation's takes style leagues over substance, and the music that's littered at every second of it is incredibly repetitive and does nothing but emphasize flanderized versions of the characters. The deeper meaning? Screw the deeper meaning, you didn't need to watch any episode to understand it's doing nothing but reinforce a single character trait. "Squidward likes art," "Sandy likes science," Plankton likes destruction," we get that. Even with something that basic it couldn't bother to cover the plotholes from Plankton showing up randomly, to having the Atlanteans fight despite being explicitly anti-war. Where's the action? Where are the jokes? Few times it does either by the end, it gets meshed together in a mess. The climax makes no sense. The musical element makes no sense. Worst of all nothing happened. Everything about this is boring to the core, yet somehow lost so much of it's potential that I would need to analyze it if everyone else didn't rip on it already.

33 (1) / 32. Pineapple Fever

ltIraBE.jpg?1 

73 points. 8 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #11 - @Clappy )

SpongeBob and Patrick want to go jellyfishing, but watch the weather report first. They find out a horrible storm is coming, so they board up. Squidward barges in, and gets stuck inside when the storm hits. Then the play tic-tac-toe, and then a jigsaw puzzle, where patrick struggles to put in the last piece. Squidward has had enough, and decides to play boundaries, where he orders SpongeBob and Patrick to not pass the line. Squidward goes inside SpongeBob's bedroom, and finds he is hungry. He accidentally eats snail food, and tries to get out to the kitchen, where SpongeBob stops him. Then Squidward, SpongeBob, and Patrick go on a wild chase to get food. Then it quiets down, and Squidward thinks the storm passed over. He opens the door and ends up falling off the house in the sky, because a tornado somehow picked up the house.

Jjs: I know this episode has a split opinion. It seems like people either love it, hate it, or are "ehh" on it. Count me on the "ehh" group. I don't hate this one, but I'm not really a fan either. More than half the gags here just either irritated me or dragged on, and I didn't get any real amusement out of them (although I will admit I got a small chuckle out of SpongeBob being a border patrol guard...mainly for out of nowhere it was). SpongeBob and Patrick were also pretty annoying in it, so there's that too. I get why people might find this funny, but yeah, no, not for me. Just mediocre overall to me.

33 (2) / 32. A Day Without Tears

LcWjLc8.jpg?1 

73 points. 6 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: 2 #6's - @Fred Rechid & @Grubby Grouper )

SpongeBob wakes up, stubs his toe, and starts crying. He rips his favorite shirt and starts crying again. He goes downstairs and hears a sad song on the radio; he cries again. At work, he flips a Krabby Patty, which lands on the ground when Mr. Krabs startles him. SpongeBob then cries once again. Squidward gets irritated of SpongeBob's crying and he yells at him. SpongeBob then cries, wailing, "You yelled at me!" Squidward tells SpongeBob that he cries too much; SpongeBob denies it. Squidward then pulls up a TV and plays a video of a trillion tears and millions of places where SpongeBob has cried over those years. He then makes a bet with SpongeBob that he couldn't last until midnight without crying.

After the bet is made, Squidward follows SpongeBob home to make sure he cries, and tries to make SpongeBob cry over things like a beautiful sunset, sad news stories with funerals, a sad song on the clarinet, and a sad bedtime story. Amazingly, SpongeBob manages to hold in his tears until midnight, despite all of Squidward's best attempts, and after midnight, SpongeBob cries all over Bikini Bottom like crazy. Squidward comes over for a slumber party the next night, and the episode ends with Squidward crying and SpongeBob comforting him.

Jjs: Ehh... I'm not sure if I really agree with this episode being placed this high, but whatever. I'm still not a fan of it. If you don't like SpongeBob's crying, then yeah, this episode is no bueno. And that's not what even bugs me about it. The second half is just so ungodly boring. Didn't make my list, but like WhoBob says below, it's just meh for me. If this were to make it on the list, I would've probably put it much lower like it was last year, but what can you do.

WhoBob: To be honest, this isn't as bad as most of people says. Well, I don't think this was as good as I used to think but I don't actually dislike it too much. Here's why. A lot of people seem to hate this one for crying but to be fair, it only lasts for 2 minutes. Annoying 2 minutes, sure but not too much to hijack the plot. The first two minutes were so bad but the episode improves a bit when it becomes a bet between Squidward and SpongeBob and some of gags of Squidward trying to make SpongeBob sad were funny. I can see why some would get bored by this since most of gags is just making him sad but I chucked a few times, so that's something. Plus this is pretty much something that I wasn't really bothered by it. Another complaint I'm hearing is that people didn't seem to like Squidward had to send his night with SpongeBob. Ok, I don't see what's the issue since Squidward is the one that made the bet. Yeah, I could see people choosing his side since he was also annoyed by SpongeBob crying but again, he made a bet and a bet is a bet. This is just a meh episode to me. I could see why people would get bored by this but aside from first two minutes, I just don't see how this is one of the most annoying episodes ever tbh. It should have toned down crying in first two minutes however and It could use more gags.

31. Good Neighbors

kRBOYHS.png?1 

74 points. 6 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #1 - @crushingmayhem )

SpongeBob wakes up Squidward for work one morning, trying to be a good neighbor, but Squidward angrily tells him that it is Sunday and that a good neighbor does not bother him on Sunday. SpongeBob believes that Squidward is grouchy because he has not gotten his Sunday Paper, and tries to give it to him. He bumps into Patrick who is startled by the "newspaper monster." Upon hearing of the monster, SpongeBob and Patrick start to panic and scatter the paper into the air as they run around. Squidward begins his Sunday relaxation, when SpongeBob and Patrick suddenly appear behind him wearing cultist-style fezzes and initiate him as president of the "Secret Royal Order of the Good Neighbor Lodge," which SpongeBob and Patrick have just made up. Squidward tells SpongeBob and Patrick to paint all of the tree leaves around town with polka dots to get rid of SpongeBob and Patrick. Outside, SpongeBob absorbs a can of red paint; Patrick pulls his arm like a lever, causing him to shoot specks of paint onto all the trees. At noon, SpongeBob and Patrick return to Squidward to tell him that they are almost done with their task, and SpongeBob accidentally shoots paint on Squidward's face and in his eyes. Squidward runs outside, screaming in pain, and is almost hit by a car that Debbie Rechid and Ralph turn out to be driving. They think that he is sick with chicken pox and take him to the hospital. Later, SpongeBob and Patrick hold a club meeting, and notice that Squidward is gone. They go inside his house to look for him, when a foot massager arrives to give Squidward a pedicure. When Squidward comes home, he finds SpongeBob and Patrick getting a pedicure to make sure that he "really is a certified foot masseur, and not some sort of assassin." Squidward pushes them aside and angrily demands the man to massage his feet, but he tells him that his hour is over and leaves. Furious, he makes SpongeBob and Patrick leave, telling them never to bother him again. 

Unable to understand that Squidward hates them, SpongeBob thinks Squidward was trying to tell them something. Upon hearing this, Squidward literally breaks his head through the front door and screams to them that they are the worst neighbors ever before taking their fezzes and stomping them onto the ground. Inside his house, Squidward sees his Sunday paper in a messy pile on the floor with a note from SpongeBob presenting it to him. Furious about this, he kicks the paper until he sees an ad in the newspaper for a high-tech security system, which he gets and installs into his house. Squidward believes that the security will stop SpongeBob and Patrick from entering his house, but they suddenly come up behind him with an apology cake and their fezzes back on. Squidward demands the security system to destroy them, but the machine says, "No threat detected." Squidward then punches the machine in frustration, and the machine says, "Threat detected." When the apology cake falls on top of the machine, it then begins malfunctioning and declares a "code red" situation, literally kicking Squidward out of the building. The house then grows arms and legs and walks away with SpongeBob and Patrick still inside. Squidward then realizes that they can now no longer bother him and tells himself "I am going to relax even if it kills me." Meanwhile, Squidward's House rampages through downtown Bikini Bottom, and SpongeBob and Patrick turn the security system off just as the house returns to its original position, causing it to fall on top of Squidward. His Sunday relaxation time is over, he calmly has SpongeBob and Patrick leave so he can get ready for work the next day. However, he finds an angry mob outside of his house, and a man gives him a jury summon that has him doing community service every Sunday for the rest of his life to pay off for the damages to the city. SpongeBob and Patrick each get a jury summon as well. They look forward to cleaning up Bikini Bottom together and say that they will see him again next Sunday. Squidward twitches nervously.

Jjs: As usual, it seems this episode is doomed to always be hated. And also as usual, this episode still doesn't bug me. I've never really had anything against it. It is somehow impossible for this episode to bug me, no matter how many times I see it. It's not really great or anything, mind you. The only thing that bothered was Squidward's house coming to life was a bit...out there, and I guess SpongeBob and Patrick could've gotten annoying, but I still don't hold any ill will towards this episode.

Crushing: First off, Good Neighbors is one of those episodes that starts off as average but then becomes something else. As one of the first season 4 Spongebob episodes it tries to show a different side to the series as a new episode in a new season. The episode while having its moments, it wasn't a very good episode and i'll explain why. It lacked the usual comedy factor that the show is usually known for, and not only that but it also showed the limits Squidward can reach when Spongebob and Patrick annoy him. The episode makes you feel sorry for Squidward since all he wanted was the perfect day. In my opinion, it was a bad start to season 4 and we can probably guess why the season was plagued with mixed feelings by fans of the show.

Remember, from here on out, there are 2 spots open for commentators if you want to comment! Just PM me if you want to reserve one.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 2

I disagree with pretty much all of these placements, maybe a bit lower.

Good Neighbors is a pure 7.5-8 to me now, I see the flaws and the ending sucks, but to be honest it doesn't seem as in your face to Squidward as the other eps tend to do, so it can't "bother" me as much as it probably should.

Atlantis Squarepantis - I don't hate hate this, but it feels like Clash of Triton in that it's very underwhelming cause really, as jjs said, there's really no plot to it and any special that underutilizes the great late David Bowie shouldn't be considered anything less than disappointing.

Pineapple Fever - I prefer dull to terrible as an adjective for this one.

A Day Without Tears - WhoBob said it best in that it could tone down the early tears, but it's overall just an episode that I could care less about it.

Good Neighbors - I don't like it all that much still, but there are far worse episodes imo.

• Like 1