• Advertisement

The Life of Pablo

Ron

I haven't listened to many of his songs after 2010, but I hear lots of bad things about it. In MBDTF, he was able to take his pretentions and insanity and morph it into good, directioned music, but seeing how a lot of people are calling the new album directionless, it looks like he's swallowed himself up once and for all.

he also swallowed up his bank account lol

5 hours ago, Spongy272 said:

I haven't heard of it nor do I ever plan to. Although, it was said that his album has been the most pirated album yet with more than 500,000 downloads. O_O Wow...

You're looking at one of those 500,000 downloads right here. Given all the fucking around Kanye was doing with the album prior to its release, there was no way in hell I was going to pay for it even if Kanye did release it outside of Tidal. 

Anyway, the one major problem I had with this album is that there wasn't enough Kanye on it (and no, the production doesn't count because he did each song with at least three or four other people). When you feel like a guest star on your own album, that's when you go back to the drawing board and step up your lyrical game. Yeezus may have had some of Kanye's most cringeworthy lyrics, but at least it felt like his album. Chance The Rapper's verse on Ultralight Beam, FML (especially the outro, which I fucking love for how creepy the sample sounds), Real Friends, No More Parties in LA, and the beat to Fade are the only parts worth salvaging from this project. Everything else I can take or leave.

9 hours ago, SBManiac said:

When you feel like a guest star on your own album, that's when you go back to the drawing board and step up your lyrical game. 

This basically sums it up for me in a nutshell as well. I wouldn't say it's his worst album, but it's definitely less then stellar imo.

20 hours ago, SBManiac said:

You're looking at one of those 500,000 downloads right here. Given all the fucking around Kanye was doing with the album prior to its release, there was no way in hell I was going to pay for it even if Kanye did release it outside of Tidal. 

Anyway, the one major problem I had with this album is that there wasn't enough Kanye on it (and no, the production doesn't count because he did each song with at least three or four other people). When you feel like a guest star on your own album, that's when you go back to the drawing board and step up your lyrical game. Yeezus may have had some of Kanye's most cringeworthy lyrics, but at least it felt like his album. Chance The Rapper's verse on Ultralight Beam, FML (especially the outro, which I fucking love for how creepy the sample sounds), Real Friends, No More Parties in LA, and the beat to Fade are the only parts worth salvaging from this project. Everything else I can take or leave.

Lmao. All that promoting he did sure made lots of people angry xD . I wonder if he saw this coming... 

To listen to this would require me to actually download Tidal.  Which I'm not because Tidal is garbage.  I love his music, but I'm not going to go out of my way to waste my memory space on such a shitty streaming service.  If Kanye is as bankrupt as he says it is, he'll eventually release it to the public like he should have done last week.

On February 21, 2016 at 10:00 PM, Clappy said:

To listen to this would require me to actually download Tidal.  Which I'm not because Tidal is garbage.  I love his music, but I'm not going to go out of my way to waste my memory space on such a shitty streaming service.  If Kanye is as bankrupt as he says it is, he'll eventually release it to the public like he should have done last week.

Wow way to paint a picture Clappy.  Because guess who finally decided to release this album off of Tidal?

I listened to it on Apple Music yesterday.  I agree with everyone else that this album is a directionless mess.  I have no idea what exactly Kanye is going for here.  Hal's post about My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is spot on with how Kanye handled that album and it's the same sort of vibe I feel Kanye was trying to go for here.  Clearly lightning didn't strike twice because some of the content here is just way too out there, even for Kanye's standards.  I actually liked a lot more of this album than I was initially expecting.  Kanye is still a great producer and he has always known how to get the best out of his guest stars for years now.  Both cases still work here.  I just wish this album was far more focused than it turned out and maybe that's why it took so long for this album to get finalized.  Clearly he needed more time invested, but I think this album is far better than anyone gives it credit for.  Probably because it's Kanye more than any other reason and his name means quality when it comes to his music.